Make your picks

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
nehmeth said:
Kieran said:
What about Stan after this? A letdown? Or a surge?

Going by the other slam?? He's in trouble.

I'm not so sure. He may have doubted that he earned the other one. This time he just came out and crushed everyone. He may just want to go out there now and bring the pain

crystalfire

Major Winner
Reactions
federberg said:
nehmeth said:
Kieran said:
What about Stan after this? A letdown? Or a surge?

I'm not so sure. He may have doubted that he earned the other one. This time he just came out and crushed everyone. He may just want to go out there now and bring the pain

does willander still think its a fluke. :laydownlaughing

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
crystalfire said:
federberg said:
nehmeth said:

does willander still think its a fluke. :laydownlaughing

I like Wilander (my favorite former player), but saying that Stan still had to prove to people that he is a GS champion was the dumbest thing he said yesterday. There sure ain't no doubt about it now!

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
So do we think Djokovic will ever get a French or did his opportunity come and go?

He's certainly not going to get a better chance than this year, where he came into the event with an aura of near-invincibility, and looked near-invincible right up until he lost the second set. I don't like when commentators glibly pronounce, "oh Tim Henman will definitely win Wimbledon some day," as if these things are part of some entitlement, (and they routinely wished that on Henman), but Nole should be a contender again next year too, and he'll have a go again.

Will he ever win it? I would have said yes most of today. Now, I don't know. Next year is too far away...

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Kirijax said:
Sundaymorningguy said:
So do we think Djokovic will ever get a French or did his opportunity come and go?

I think he still has a couple more chances.

Unless things change drastically he has to be favourite again next year

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
It doesn't seem like he capitalizes on the opportunities when he has them, so it is a tough call. He did however beat Nadal, so I expect even if Nadal finds form again he will no longer be awed by the situation at Roland Garros. He does need to find that extra gear and dig deep. He played decently, but I feel he didn't find that next level and dig in deep at key moments to make a match of it today even though Stan played very well.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
djokovic must be wondering whats going on out there,

..."bloody French open title, keeps moving itself away from me".

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
federberg said:
Kirijax said:
Sundaymorningguy said:

I think he still has a couple more chances.

Unless things change drastically he has to be favourite again next year

Why? :huh:

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
But that 8-8 record in Grand Slam finals is becoming Lendlesque. Not a sbad as Murray's GS finals record but still.... He must stop wasting these if he wants to get up there in BorgSamprasFedererNadal land.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Kirijax said:
But that 8-8 record in Grand Slam finals is becoming Lendlesque. Not a sbad as Murray's GS finals record but still.... He must stop wasting these if he wants to get up there in BorgSamprasFedererNadal land.

Let me say this again. 8-8 record in finals is better than 8-0 record in finals. It means apart from winning it 8 times, he was a finality 8 times as well.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Tignor on the final. A typically smart report, can see it from all angles, praising Stan's great show, and trying to put perspective on where Nole fell short...

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Kieran said:
Sundaymorningguy said:

He's certainly not going to get a better chance than this year, where he came into the event with an aura of near-invincibility, and looked near-invincible right up until he lost the second set. I don't like when commentators glibly pronounce, "oh Tim Henman will definitely win Wimbledon some day," as if these things are part of some entitlement, (and they routinely wished that on Henman), but Nole should be a contender again next year too, and he'll have a go again.

Will he ever win it? I would have said yes most of today. Now, I don't know. Next year is too far away...

Every time that happens, someone from Switzerland kicks his butt...No fair...;)

Puppet Master

Masters Champion
Reactions
When I was watching the match, a Serbian commentator jokingly said that Wawrinka is unbeatable in GS finals, and that Nole should be afraid. Oh, the irony.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Puppet Master said:
When I was watching the match, a Serbian commentator jokingly said that Wawrinka is unbeatable in GS finals, and that Nole should be afraid. Oh, the irony.

That's why nobody has to underestimate the opponent :nono
You can cheer for your fav but you never know what could happen in every match, or tomorrow and less next year :nono

Fefe26

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
missed the match, had to go to church. congrats to stan, but i really thought Novak had this in the bag. But do you guys think this is worst than Rafa's loss to Soderling?

Does anyone have the match in full they can post??

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Fefe26 said:
missed the match, had to go to church. congrats to stan, but i really thought Novak had this in the bag. But do you guys think this is worst than Rafa's loss to Soderling?

Does anyone have the match in full they can post?? (eventually)

Probably not! Wawrinka has been a perennial top 10'r for years, has won an AO upsetting Nole and Rafa! I had never heard of Soderling, but truth be told, it was hard to pay attention to anyone outside of the top 2; no one else was winning anything of consequence! All I could think of is "Roger's finally gotten his chance! He better take advantage of it!" ...and he did in '09! :angel: :dodgy:

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Fefe26 said:

Does anyone have the match in full they can post??

If Novak would withdraw of Wimbledon and not been able to defend his title due to a knee injury then I would tell you this final was so bad like Nadal's loss to Soderling but I don't think it's the same case