2015 French Open Final: S. Williams vs. Safarova

Who takes it all?

• Total voters

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Serena leads the series 8-0

http://www.wtatennis.com/head2head/player1/9044/player2/9869

They've only met twice on clay, both at the green clay courts of Charleston won by Serena in straights. After 8 meetings, they've never met in a major. This is Lucie's first slam final, Serena's 24th. Can Lucie upstage Williams and claim her maiden slam? Or will Serena claim #20?

Who takes it all?
474942702.jpg

vs.
http://www.bostonherald.com/sites/default/files/styles/full/public/media/ap/b88d8eefb0ce44789fb2ff40cfe

287fe.jpg?itok=Fh6J05lk&c=bbe9e9e29c1f469ee0caba44348884a8

Moose

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Someone has to show Lucie some love, since this match is probably all Serena :)

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Moose said:

I really like Lucie Moose, but I can't see Serena fighting off illness and all these 3-setters and not walk away w/ that trophy.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Serena will throw everything she has into claiming this trophy. She didn't fight this hard to not walk away with the slam. Lucie was very nervous in her semi, so I can't imagine she will hold up any better in a final and against all people Serena.

Fefe26

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
I gave Lucie a set, this is not ana. If she gets down an early break in any of the sets i think it will be over for her.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
Serena will throw everything she has into claiming this trophy. She didn't fight this hard to not walk away with the slam. Lucie was very nervous in her semi, so I can't imagine she will hold up any better in a final and against all people Serena.

Completely agree. Serena will do everything in her power to win this match. I also watched the other SF. Lucie was very nervous and tight even against Ana. Now this being final and opponent being Serena she will be even worse in the nerves department. Even though Timea lost to Serena 6-0 in the third, I don't think it is due to nerves (except for the 1st game of 3rd set). She was just outplayed.

Hope Serena gets well in time.

I would say Serena in straights this time.

Moose

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
kskate2 said:
Moose said:

I really like Lucie Moose, but I can't see Serena fighting off illness and all these 3-setters and not walk away w/ that trophy.

Oh, I agree. If I was putting money on the match, my reply would be quite different. But it's an internet poll. So I picked one from the heart!

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Have to go with Serena. She's been trojan all the way through, battling her way out of binds in almost every round. She must be feeling bullet-proof today. Did somebody say she has a bit of a fever?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
Have to go with Serena. She's been trojan all the way through, battling her way out of binds in almost every round. She must be feeling bullet-proof today. Did somebody say she has a bit of a fever?

Today, she was sick and it was obvious.

She mentioned in the interview that she is suffering from flu since the 3rd round. This is the first time she disclosed it. She was covering it up so far. Today, it became obvious and therefore she let it out.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Good news is she has an extra week between the French and Wimbledon to rest and recover. Her serve is coming along nicely, Serena.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
Good news is she has an extra week between the French and Wimbledon to rest and recover. Her serve is coming along nicely, Serena.

I bet she won't sign up for any itsy/bitsy warm-up grass tourneys. Just a week of rest, a week of training and a week of practice should do.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I don't think she should be pushing it that much clearly something isn't right where she keeps getting sick during a slam. I think she should probably take two weeks to relax and then practice and train.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Kieran said:

Today, she was sick and it was obvious.

She mentioned in the interview that she is suffering from flu since the 3rd round. This is the first time she disclosed it. She was covering it up so far. Today, it became obvious and therefore she let it out.

Okay, thanks! She's certainly been struggling but I only saw some of the Vika match. Warrior stuff! I'm sure she'll stay in bed tomorrow, maybe hit for half an hour in the evening, and leave it all out there on court on Saturday.

She'll be fine for Wimbo, maybe a second Serena Slam, and potential calendar year slam, up for grabs...

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Sundaymorningguy said:

I bet she won't sign up for any itsy/bitsy warm-up grass tourneys. Just a week of rest, a week of training and a week of practice should do.

They never play grass warmups. Either she or Venus. One time I think when Serena was coming back from the embolism, but not any before that or since then.

golds girl

Major Winner
Reactions
So...I know everyone's saying Serena isn't going to come this far and not take home the trophy...couldn't Lucie say the same? When next is she going to beat Sharapova, Muguruza, Ivanovic all the way to a final? I would confidently say probably never.
She has nothing to lose, so it will be close.
That being said: Serena in 3. Because non-champions typically get the trembles against champions in the 3rd set.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
golds girl said:
So...I know everyone's saying Serena isn't going to come this far and not take home the trophy...couldn't Lucie say the same? When next is she going to beat Sharapova, Muguruza, Ivanovic all the way to a final? I would confidently say probably never.
She has nothing to lose, so it will be close.
That being said: Serena in 3. Because non-champions typically get the trembles against champions in the 3rd set.

I don't doubt Lucie will be up for this final. But when Serena was ill in the AO final, she ran through Maria in straights because she knew she wasn't feeling well. I imagine she will have the same singular focus on Sat.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Serena will win, but it won't be easy. I think it goes three, which is pretty much a trend, but she'll get it done.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Serena will win...absolutely

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Safarova wasn't having an easy time closing out Ana, so I doubt she would have an easy time trying to close out Serena. All things are possible, but Serena definitely seems in it to win it at this stage.