2015 French Open Final: Djokovic v. Wawrinka

Make your picks

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Front242 said:
Chatrier is the slower of the two unless things changed this year.

Lenglen is slower.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/tennis/how-one-court-at-roland-garros-helps-rafael-nadal-dominate-french-open/2015/05/30/c65a61d2-070d-11e5-bc72-f3e16bf50bb6_story.html

I attached this link (where they state as much) to my initial post.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
nehmeth said:
Front242 said:
Chatrier is the slower of the two unless things changed this year.

Lenglen is slower.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/tennis/how-one-court-at-roland-garros-helps-rafael-nadal-dominate-french-open/2015/05/30/c65a61d2-070d-11e5-bc72-f3e16bf50bb6_story.html

I attached this link (where they state as much) to my initial post.

Must've only changed this year so 'cos Lenglen was way faster before.

Check out this quote from Verdasco.

"You lost after a very tough match. Did you have problems of like you expected to win the second set maybe? You put lots of energy. Did you have a lack of concentration after losing, after being two sets down in the beginning of the third? And do you think that Murray has improved on clay? How did you find his game regarding his chance for the tournament?

FERNANDO VERDASCO: Well, about the first question, I didn’t expect nothing about winning the second set or anything. You know, I was just trying every point to win, every point, next point, next point, next point. But I think I didn’t have my best day. He played better than me. He played very deep.

Also I need to say that the court, I didn’t like it. It was much faster than Philippe Chatrier, so for his flat shots was I think a good advantage. So it was you know, he had played I think very deep, very good shots, very good control, close to the lines, but the court was very fast compared to the Philippe Chatrier. Completely a different tournament. And I don’t think that one tournament like Roland Garros must have two courts that different. So for that part, I’m not happy at all.

And for my part, I didn’t play a good match, of course. I played short, many shots. He was able to step in, and he did it pretty well. He have also big part of his win he played well. And I cannot say like much more. I tried, I fight till the end, but it was not my day. He had a good day.

About his chances for the tournament, I don’t know. I think the favorite is still Rafa for me, and he will always be the favorite here, because the final is in the Philippe Chatrier, not in the Suzanne Lenglen. Like I said, it’s a different court. It’s a different tournament. One court from another. This court is much slower. So I think that it’s going to be different once he play in this court. We’ll see, but, yeah. I cannot really say nothing else."

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=466465

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
August said:
I have to say, in the semifinal, I was cheering for Nole because I think he'd be an easier match-up for Stan (plus I prefer Nole over Muzza). Stan has a played great matches against Nole at slams recently (even though on a hard court). Of course, it's hard to hit winners past Nole but at least his defense didn't look quite as great as Muzza's in the SF.

Why do you say that? Stan has a much better record against Andy, and has won his last two against Andy, handily.

crystalfire

Major Winner
Reactions
the 2 days i can sleep in and i have to get up early to catch this match. what a shame.

crystalfire

Major Winner
Reactions
1972Murat said:
These two had epic matches before. I want another one. I want 5 sets for sure. I want them to both bring their a games. I know Nole will, so it is up to Stan to make this another epic.

i agree but i think because clay plays a lot slower, it dampens the firepower of stan which def gives djoker the edge. theres still no question he can hit the crap outta those balls but djoker has the extra time to defend which makes a huge difference imo.
that said i hope they meet again in wimby or USO where i think if he plays well he can actually beat djoker with his power.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
1972Murat said:
These two had epic matches before. I want another one. I want 5 sets for sure. I want them to both bring their a games. I know Nole will, so it is up to Stan to make this another epic.

That's the spirit! A five-setter would be awesome.

Virtual Tennis Chant: "WE WANT AN EPIC! WE WANT AN EPIC! WE WANT AN EPIC!"

(Novak in three.)

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
tented said:
1972Murat said:

That's the spirit! A 5-setter would be awesome.

(Novak in three.)

I polled 4 sets because of a typical Nole "walkabout," but it should be 3; 2 close sets w/ a bagel or breadstick! (Now Nole's going to forget how to play and go down in the biggest upset since Soderling in '09) :eyepop :angel: :dodgy:

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
I can't wait for this! I'm going with Nole in 4, but I want Stan to win.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
tented said:
1972Murat said:

That's the spirit! A five-setter would be awesome.

(Novak in three.)

Well, we can have our cake and eat it too. It will be a 3-set EPIC. :ras:

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
we can all eat some tasty cake whilst viewing a 5 set epic.

more epic = more cake. the flamboyant cream flan will sustain us through the five sets of epicness.

:approved: :approved:

S

SamSamFB

Good Preview article for the final

http://lastwordonsports.com/2015/06/07/keys-2015-french-open-final-novak-djokovic-vs-stan-wawrinka/

tl;dr This guy thinks all of the pressure in on Djokovic, and that Wawrinka should be the looser of the two and that Nole seems to be developing an RG mental block.

August

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Website
augustonsports.blogspot.com
Riotbeard said:
August said:
I have to say, in the semifinal, I was cheering for Nole because I think he'd be an easier match-up for Stan (plus I prefer Nole over Muzza). Stan has a played great matches against Nole at slams recently (even though on a hard court). Of course, it's hard to hit winners past Nole but at least his defense didn't look quite as great as Muzza's in the SF.

Why do you say that? Stan has a much better record against Andy, and has won his last two against Andy, handily.

Murray's defense was amazing against Djokovic, I was afraid of Stan being unable to hit through. Nole's defense is also great but Andy's was just amazing.

crystalfire said:
1972Murat said:

i agree but i think because clay plays a lot slower, it dampens the firepower of stan which def gives djoker the edge. theres still no question he can hit the crap outta those balls but djoker has the extra time to defend which makes a huge difference imo.
that said i hope they meet again in wimby or USO where i think if he plays well he can actually beat djoker with his power.

I was just thinking which actually plays slower, clay or a slow HC like Plexicushion? Because surely some red clay courts play faster than the slowest HCs on the tour. Or is it footing or something making it easier to defend on a HC? Of course, RG has seemed pretty slow this year. But still, Stan has troubled Nole in very slow conditions at the AO.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
SamSamFB said:
http://lastwordonsports.com/2015/06/07/keys-2015-french-open-final-novak-djokovic-vs-stan-wawrinka/

tl;dr This guy thinks all of the pressure in on Djokovic, and that Wawrinka should be the looser of the two and that Nole seems to be developing an RG mental block.

He may not have noticed that Novak has unblockaged that blockage. There's never been any reason to think Novak had any kind of mental block in Paris. He's been doing great stuff there for years, and challenged Nadal in a real way, before finally beating him. This is a sign of a bloke who's been positive about his chances, not blocked up or fearful or negative...

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I'll be taking your orders for these gorgeous Stanimal Plaids right after he wins the French Open! How many should I put you down for Keiran? :snicker

CG5eitMUIAAkZpC.png

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Kirijax said:
I'll be taking your orders for these gorgeous Stanimal Plaids right after he wins the French Open! How many should I put you down for Keiran? :snicker

CG5eitMUIAAkZpC.png

I wear them as pyjamas so I already have a few, though mine are €2.99 knock-offs from Penneys... ;)

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Good morning Dudes and Dudettes! I smell a CGS in the air. DO you too? We are blessed to see multiple CGS champions in this "weak" era.

Why Novak will win 3?

1. Stan will not be able to power through Nole. Nole will retrieve balls which would be
winners against other players.

2. Stan will not be able to maintain his high level consistently. There will be dips and
Novak will make him pay for those.

3. Stan is by no means a "wall" like Andy. So, do not expect a five set war.

Let us enjoy the game.

p.s. Congrats to Lucie and Bethany. Lucie got consolation prize of Doubles trophy at least. Glad for her.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Novak is 17-3 against Stan. In this poll, Novak is 17-2. Can one more person vote for Stan, please.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Latest Odds:

Novak --- 1/6 about 85% chance.
Stan ----- 11/2 about 15% chance.