2015 French Open Final: Djokovic v. Wawrinka

Make your picks

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Wawrinka doesn't move nearly as well as Murray so that pretty much means he's got to hit the ball out of his mind for potentially 5 sets, serve amazing, AND not get frustrated and miss when Novak inevitably tracks down his bullets and puts them back in play. I mean, he can get hot, it's feasible, but it would require the finest performance of his career. It doesn't help that his transition game isn't nearly as refined as Murray so he just has to unleash impossible shots from defensive positions when Novak has him on the ropes (and he's capable, but again, doing it consistently sounds too good to be true), since he can't neutralize the points and work his way back. His slice is also too floaty compared to Murray, who was making hay with that shot from defensive positions, so Novak will eat those up for breakfast.

Novak in 3, maybe 4.

crystalfire

Major Winner
Reactions
imagine both serena and nole going to wimby with AO and FO...soooo much hype

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Mile said:
When i was kid, i read comics. And bad guys were so similiar to this face. This image opened my wounds from childhood.

623952_20150605reuterspascal-rossignolparisdi007765149_ff.jpg

help. :speechless: djokovic's chin is even bigger than usual..

its so large its probably got its own weather system and breathable atmosphere.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
JesuslookslikeBorg said:
Mile said:
When i was kid, i read comics. And bad guys were so similiar to this face. This image opened my wounds from childhood.

It's the ultimate "Stank Face" :cover

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Thanks to all the tennis this week and being off work (starting a new job on Monday so finished the old one on Tues) I've skipped the gym since Weds. Doh. Gotta get up early to go before the final tomorrow.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
JesuslookslikeBorg said:
Mile said:

623952_20150605reuterspascal-rossignolparisdi007765149_ff.jpg

Lol! Anyone who's read marvel comics... doesn't he look like he could be a skrull? Add a green tinge to the skin and it would be a match! Lord knows he's bendy enough to be a shape changer :laydownlaughing

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
http://www.accuweather.com/en/fr/paris/623/hourly-weather-forecast/623?hour=35

looks like it's going to be sunny with no chance of rain tomorrow. Great for Novak. I don't think it's going to be exceptionally hot, just low 20s

Mile

Masters Champion
Reactions
federberg said:
http://www.accuweather.com/en/fr/paris/623/hourly-weather-forecast/623?hour=35

looks like it's going to be sunny with no chance of rain tomorrow. Great for Novak. I don't think it's going to be exceptionally hot, just low 20s

Bare in mind that T meauseremnt is done in shadow at some 1,5 m of heigth. When on the sun its +some degrees more, but i think some bonus degree is contributing that sand.

They should have some real T on terrain.

August

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Website
augustonsports.blogspot.com
I have to say, in the semifinal, I was cheering for Nole because I think he'd be an easier match-up for Stan (plus I prefer Nole over Muzza). Stan has a played great matches against Nole at slams recently (even though on a hard court). Of course, it's hard to hit winners past Nole but at least his defense didn't look quite as great as Muzza's in the SF.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Since Chatrier plays quicker than Lenglen, I think that Novak will be better able to take away time from Stan. He won't be able to take those huge cuts at the ball, and I really believe that Novak will be making him do a lot of running. We will see.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/tennis/how-one-court-at-roland-garros-helps-rafael-nadal-dominate-french-open/2015/05/30/c65a61d2-070d-11e5-bc72-f3e16bf50bb6_story.html

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
stan makes his 2nd major final, a bit of a surprise, bit like the bit of surprise when he lost 1st rd last year.

so then i'd wager that out of the two this is the sort of surprise stan would be liking.

Puppet Master

Masters Champion
Reactions
nehmeth said:
Since Chatrier plays quicker than Lenglen, I think that Novak will be better able to take away time from Stan. He won't be able to take those huge cuts at the ball, and I really believe that Novak will be making him do a lot of running. We will see.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/tennis/how-one-court-at-roland-garros-helps-rafael-nadal-dominate-french-open/2015/05/30/c65a61d2-070d-11e5-bc72-f3e16bf50bb6_story.html

If Chatrier plays faster, then it will definitely be more difficult for Novak to defend (Or am I missing something?). Stan doesn't need THAT much time for his shots. Then again, it doesn't matter if he is sending armor piercing bullets or just pushing the ball over the net, if he Stan the man doesn't come out tomorrow, things could get ugly for him. If anyone can hit through Djoker, it's Wawa.
Beware Novak fans and supporters, he is up against a guy who has never lost a GS final. :D

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Chatrier is the slower of the two unless things changed this year.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Front242 said:
Chatrier is the slower of the two unless things changed this year.

We must be desperate to try and break it down to the speed of the court concerning this final! Like it really matters; come on! Stan's a classic pro, has all the shots, and will be very competitive no doubt, but NOLE's got this! He is not going to allow this Fed-clone to squash his dreams! If it were best of 3, I'd give him a better chance, but if Murray couldn't hang over 2 days, how can Stanimal when Novak's this close? It's not being over-confident; just keeping it real, watching what this man has done so far! I didn't think anyone could impress me as much as Roger "in the day," but Djokovic's really made me stop and take notice; now reviewing my argument of who's the GOAT! It could all change within the next 5 years! :angel: :dodgy:

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Sorry Fiero but I reckon Novak's left it way too late to win 9+ more slams.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Front242 said:
Sorry Fiero but I reckon Novak's left it way too late to win 9+ more slams.

ITA; Nole can't catch Roger and Rafa in that way, but he can take and dominate in other ways by having "greater single years" and acquiring a lot more Masters! If he can complete this Grand Slam, people might be saying Roger and Rafa who?! lol! Maybe not! :snicker :angel:

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
If Wawrinka wins, he will have a many Grand Slam titles as Murray.

That's kind of a depressing thought. :dodgy:

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Kirijax said:

Which is why I smirked in the past when he was grouped with Nole, Rafa, & Roger! He's a competent player who's won multiple Masters events, but he needs to add to that total in the "majors" column to be thought any better than a Roddick, Wawrinka, or Pat Rafter! He'll make the top 20 all time with his body of work, but just barely IMO! :rolleyes: :nono :angel: Right now I have Murray as a legitimate #2 with Roger being held up just for the time being! If and when he drops those points form Wimbledon, Murray should leap frog him sometime this summer; maybe in time for the USO seedings! I need to go take another look to be sure! :puzzled :p

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
Kirijax said:

Which is why I smirked in the past when he was grouped with Nole, Rafa, & Roger! He's a competent player who's won multiple Masters events, but he needs to add to that total in the "majors" column to be thought any better than a Roddick, Wawrinka, or Pat Rafter! He'll make the top 20 all time with his body of work, but just barely IMO! :rolleyes: :nono :angel: Right now I have Murray as a legitimate #2 with Roger being held up just for the time being! If and when he drops those points form Wimbledon, Murray should leap frog him sometime this summer; maybe in time for the USO seedings! I need to go take another look to be sure! :puzzled :p

No argument there. Murray needs to add two or three more slams and have a cup of coffee (as El Dude would say) at least in the No. 1 slot to really, truly, honestly be a part of The Big Four.