2014 US Open Quarterfinals: Berdych vs. Cilic

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
^ I've always been on board with his game, problem used to be he was mentally weak and now the problem is he is/was a juicer. I feel dirty rooting for him and even this "new and improved" Cilic could give Roger a problem. Cilic has that little extra now you know :(

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I can't believe they have Louise Engzell as the umpire for this q/final match,she makes enough mistakes umpiring WTA matches.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Actually I see what you mean Darth... maybe I'm not liking it so much! :D Still I'm not sure he has it within him to take the game out of Rogers racquet. Berd man can

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Wow! Set down, break down. Berdy really stinking up the joint right now. He's not the sort to dig himself out of a hole. No plan B. This is almost over already

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I will take it a match at a time and Berd can still come back here. If Roger is losing to any of the three left on that section I'd rather it be Berd as I like the BBB (Big Bad Berd). A loss to Monfils is disaster IMO, that'd be a huge step back and well...Cilic is a cheater, dude shouldn't even be allowed to play for another 10 months IMO.

And seriously I can't see him losing to Cilic either. If Cilic goes onto win Roger has to be thinking to himself, Monfils and Cilic ...if I can play even at 80% capacity I'm in the final.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Of the three, Monfils is the most palatable for me. His talent level is of a completely different level to the other two. He really should be consistently challenging for majors with his ability. But the mind has to come along for the ride!

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
He is playing some sweet ball today. I'll have to study his returns. If that's really strong Roger could have some problems (assuming... well you know!)

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
federberg said:
Of the three, Monfils is the most palatable for me. His talent level is of a completely different level to the other two. He really should be consistently challenging for majors with his ability. But the mind has to come along for the ride!

Monfils is a great athlete but he will not blow Roger off the court over a 5 set match. As long as Roger isn't erratic like 2013 style there is only 1 result.

Berd is a much different story, Roger has had it very tough with him since 2010 and he's beaten him easily the last 2 slam meetings.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't disagree that Berd man has presented Roger with the greatest problems. But from what I've seen with Gael. If he ever puts it all together.. oh boy! He could almost be like a hybrid of Del Potro and Novak. Supreme athlete that can defend everything, and generate more power than just about anyone else on the tour, hitting point ending shots for fun. He reminds me of Verdasco in some ways. Tremendous power when he feels like it, but generally prefers to hit puff shots. Very frustrating! What I'm trying to say is that in terms of upside he's way way above either Cilic or Berd man

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
federberg said:
He is playing some sweet ball today. I'll have to study his returns. If that's really strong Roger could have some problems (assuming... well you know!)

Even as far back as 2009 I was impressed with how well Cilic returned and moved for his size. I saw him live at USO 2009 and he dismantled Murray in straights. I expected him to do better than he has. Cilic has improved this year but then that's not too surprising now is it :nono

tented

Administrator
Reactions
DarthFed said:
federberg said:

Even as far back as 2009 I was impressed with how well Cilic returned and moved for his size. I saw him live at USO 2009 and he dismantled Murray in straights. I expected him to do better than he has. Cilic has improved this year but then that's not too surprising now is it :nono

Are you actually implying that he's currently doping? I really hope not.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
federberg said:
I don't disagree that Berd man has presented Roger with the greatest problems. But from what I've seen with Gael. If he ever puts it all together.. oh boy! He could almost be like a hybrid of Del Potro and Novak. Supreme athlete that can defend everything, and generate more power than just about anyone else on the tour, hitting point ending shots for fun. He reminds me of Verdasco in some ways. Tremendous power when he feels like it, but generally prefers to hit puff shots. Very frustrating! What I'm trying to say is that in terms of upside he's way way above either Cilic or Berd man

I agree that he has a lot of physical tools but there is more than just pure speed and strength. On top of that there is mental prowess, technique, consistency, point construction, etc. and he comes up way short there.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
tented said:
DarthFed said:
federberg said:

Lol! No I meant assuming Roger beats Gael! :lolz:

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
federberg said:

I agree that he has a lot of physical tools but there is more than just pure speed and strength. On top of that there is mental prowess, technique, consistency, point construction, etc. and he comes up way short there.
I think technique is just fine. Consistency/point construction/ mental prowess all dip in the same well spring. I almost feel with him that it's not that he CAN'T do it. It's just that he doesn't care enough. Loving life is more important than doing what it takes to get the big wins. And that's deeply annoying. Imagine what Ferrer would do with that ability!

tented

Administrator
Reactions
federberg said:
tented said:
DarthFed said:
federberg said:

I was responding to Darth's post ("Cilic has improved this year but then that's not too surprising now is it :nono"), not yours.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
tented said:
federberg said:
tented said:
DarthFed said:
federberg said:

I was responding to Darth's post ("Cilic has improved this year but then that's not too surprising now is it :nono"), not yours.

Ah! My bad!

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
tented said:
DarthFed said:
federberg said:

Probably not, but he was last year and who knows for how long. It all adds up no?

tented

Administrator
Reactions
DarthFed said:
tented said:
DarthFed said:
federberg said:

Probably not, but he was last year and who knows for how long. It all adds up no?

No.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
federberg said:
What was he taking?

*a banned substance. :snigger

He's about ready to go 2 sets up on Berdych. Roger should be smiling.

*Actually it was an "incautious use of glucose"? http://www.tennisperspective.com/2013/07/marin-cilic-testing-positive-already-serving-ban.html