2014 US Open Quarterfinals: Wawrinka vs. Nishikori

Who wins?

• Total voters

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This will be their first official meeting.

I pick Wawrinka in four sets. Nishikori would have not enough energy for this match.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
rafanoy1992 said:

I pick Wawrinka in four sets. Nishikori would have not enough energy for this match.

I'll go for Stan in 3. I think Nishikori is going to be spent. Sadly...

I like both players

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
federberg said:
rafanoy1992 said:

I'll go for Stan in 3. I think Nishikori is going to be spent. Sadly...

I like both players

Picking Wawrinka in three as well. Robredo awoke the Stanimal yesterday. He remembered the way he can hit, and with that brand of tennis, it will be over in three no matter how rested the little fella may be.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Stanimal in 3. Nish is toast. Surprised he even won that match and did not physically give out.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I picked Stan in 4. Just have a feeling Kei will be a bit physically beat.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Looks like they have played twice before in Cincy and Buenos Aires and Stan won both.

If I go by the last set Stan played against Tommy, I would say Stan in straight sets. But I think Kei can win one.

It's an interesting match up (or would be if I don't suspect Kei will be gassed). If Kei can hug the baseline and redirect stan's power shots, it could be a really great match.

I wish Kei had taken out Milos more quickly!

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I pick Stan in 4 as I don't think Kei can come back at 100% after such a gruelling night.
I just hope he does not give a walk over.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Stan in 3 or 4. Too much power and unlike Milos he can move plenty well and won't be afraid of backhand exchanges with anyone.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Luxilon Borg said:
Stanimal in 3. Nish is toast. Surprised he even won that match and did not physically give out.

Yep, this is it for Kei. Even though he has today off, I can't see him taking three sets off Stan in the afternoon heat/humidity tomorrow.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well, somebody has to pick Kei, so I will. Humidity supposed to be lower tomorrow. We've all decided that Kei is not so fit, but maybe Chang has been working on him. I agree that coming back from the Raonic match will be tough. But I think Wawrinka has more pressure to perform, and if Kei is at least in decent shape, he could surprise Stan.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
tented said:
Luxilon Borg said:

Yep, this is it for Kei. Even though he has today off, I can't see him taking three sets off Stan in the afternoon heat/humidity tomorrow.

88 degrees is the forecast...:mad:

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
tented said:
Luxilon Borg said:

One thing that did occur to me is that historically Stan has cramped in crazy heat...so may Nish has a sliver of hope, if his team helped him in the recovery phase like never before.

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
Really looking forward to this.

I'm hoping Stan wins this one, and I think he will!

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Picked Stan in four but you cannot say Nishikori can't deal with power. He just beat a guy who has a lot of power (yes, I know Stan is a different animal).

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
mrzz said:
Picked Stan in four but you cannot say Nishikori can't deal with power. He just beat a guy who has a lot of power (yes, I know Stan is a different animal).

Nishikori absorbs power beautifully. His physicality is his biggest issue, not his racket skills.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
Well, somebody has to pick Kei, so I will. Humidity supposed to be lower tomorrow. We've all decided that Kei is not so fit, but maybe Chang has been working on him. I agree that coming back from the Raonic match will be tough. But I think Wawrinka has more pressure to perform, and if Kei is at least in decent shape, he could surprise Stan.

You are not alone....I am also picking Kei to win,Kei can absorb power,I dont think that will be a big issue for Kei in this match.I also agree the pressure is on for Stan to perform,lets face it he hasn't been Mr Consistent of late,hopefully Kei will be in good shape for this match

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kei went to bed this morning at 5.30AM. I think he is toast. Stan in 3.