tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kenneth said:
tossip said:
tented said:
kskate2 said:
Some pictures from Serena & Caro's party w/ Joe Jonas last night:

Does anyone else think it's strange Caroline went out partying with the woman who just straight setted her in a major final earlier that day?
thats good PR for WTA:clapits called maturity....Caro knows her time will come and showing the tour that girls can be fierce opponents .. leave it on the court and still be friends...there is no need to be catty ...

Nothing strange! Sports people are taught to respect their opponents and I think she is cool for accepting the loss this time and go party!
you think pova would go for dinner with Serena after a loss...:laydownlaughing

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
tossip said:
Kenneth said:
tossip said:
tented said:
kskate2 said:
Some pictures from Serena & Caro's party w/ Joe Jonas last night:

Does anyone else think it's strange Caroline went out partying with the woman who just straight setted her in a major final earlier that day?
thats good PR for WTA:clapits called maturity....Caro knows her time will come and showing the tour that girls can be fierce opponents .. leave it on the court and still be friends...there is no need to be catty ...

Nothing strange! Sports people are taught to respect their opponents and I think she is cool for accepting the loss this time and go party!

I don't think Maria has any friends on tour. No doubt there's a reason for that.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
jhar26 said:
GameSetAndMath said:
Moxie629 said:
^ You didn't stutter, but you're blustering a bit on this one. Is 18 Majors from Serena and 7 from Venus underachieving? They're both on the all-time greats list for lots of reasons. Venus has 45 titles, which is more than any other active player except Serena, who has 63. Venus was #1 three different times in her career, and Serena has been 6 times. They have 4 Olympic Gold medals.

Who are you to say they shouldn't have taken time for their other projects? And at (nearly) 33, and 34, they're still in the game in a real way. You've made a case that they might have achieved even more, if they'd been solely tennis players, but they are women with varied interests. I don't fault them for pursuing them. But the fact that they can go away from tennis, then come back and dominate says a lot about their tennis. I see nothing wrong with them choosing to be more Renaissance women then just tennis players who rack up trophies. It will serve them better, post-tennis. And the tennis resumes, such as they are, are not so puny. :cool:

Actually, I too feel that both Serena and Venus underachieved in comparison to their potential.
I am not saying that their current achievement level is low. I just think that they both were
far more capable than their actual achievements. i.e., I am not comparing them to others.
I am just comparing them to what they could have achieved if they had taken tennis more
seriously than they do, especially in early years.

However, I do agree that as you pointed out, it is their life and they can live it however
the heck they want to. Having said that, their right to live the life the way they seem fit
does not take away my right to comment that they could have achieved lot more if they
had been more serious about their tennis career especially in their prime years.
There are two sides to this. But first of all, EVERY player, no matter how successful is a underachiever up to a point. Even Margaret Court probably could have won 25 instead of 24 majors if she hadn't made a mess of this or that breakpoint or setpoint in this or that match at one of the majors she DIDN'T win.

Be that as it may, yes, Serena could potentially have won even more in the previous decade if her mind had always been 100% on the job - not only slams, but also more of everything else. But the fact that she paced herself also means that she now still has more gasoline left in the tank than otherwise would have been the case.

Venus is a more complicated story because of the sjogren's syndrome. We will never know how long that was already in her body before it was diagnosed and for how long it has affected her performances on the tennis courts.

You are making three different points.

I disagree with your first point, but agree with your second and third points.

I am not talking about a player trying to win a tournament or match in good faith and
then not being able to do so. That is pardonable as that is all you can do and you cannot
control everything. But, I think Serena is guilty of not wanting to be in top form and
trying to win everything out there when she was in prime of her carrer.

I do agree with you on the gas part and sjogren's syndrome part.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
kskate2 said:
tossip said:
Kenneth said:
tossip said:
tented said:

I don't think Maria has any friends on tour. No doubt there's a reason for that.
New York was very anti-pova this season....they couldnt stand her screaming...:nono

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Well Sharapova's game to me is in dis-array regardless of the noise factor...:)

jhar26

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
People have a love/hate relationship with Sharapova. They don't like the screaming, but they love her inner-Jimbo. Her "I would rather die than lose" attitude.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
^Well Jimbo wasn't called the 'street fighting man' for nothing I guess
Nice to see you back posting by the way...:)

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
jhar26 said:
People have a love/hate relationship with Sharapova. They don't like the screaming, but they love her inner-Jimbo. Her "I would rather die than lose" attitude.

But that's what frustrates me the most; allowing absolute nobodies to take her to the brink so she can have this courageous rally to win! Three sets and 3 hours is just ridiculous to allow match after match!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
^ In a lot of matches some of these women that do have Sharapova on the ropes,do not seem to have the mental belief that is needed to go all the way and win.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
jhar26 said:

But that's what frustrates me the most; allowing absolute nobodies to take her to the brink so she can have this courageous rally to win! Three sets and 3 hours is just ridiculous to allow match after match!

Well her game at the moment is rather limited, and it isn't like she surprises anyone. So why wouldn't people be able to take her to 3 sets consistently. With Maria, you know you are going to get a shot because her serve isn't what it used to be, and she only hits the ball at one speed. If you are a consistent opponent who can hit with some pace or throw curve balls at her, you can take her to three or score a win.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
jhar26 said:

Well her game at the moment is rather limited, and it isn't like she surprises anyone. So why wouldn't people be able to take her to 3 sets consistently. With Maria, you know you are going to get a shot because her serve isn't what it used to be, and she only hits the ball at one speed. If you are a consistent opponent who can hit with some pace or throw curve balls at her, you can take her to three or score a win.

jhar26

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
fashionista said:
^Well Jimbo wasn't called the 'street fighting man' for nothing I guess
Nice to see you back posting by the way...:)
Indeed. Thanks. ;)

jhar26

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
Fiero425 said:
jhar26 said:

Yes, second career Sharapova is not the same player as first career Sharapova was. It's mostly on the basis of her refuse to lose attitude that she's able to still do so well. And there aren't that many "absolute nobodies" around anymore. Lower ranked players beat top 15 players almost everyday.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
jhar26 said:
Sundaymorningguy said:
Fiero425 said:
jhar26 said:

Yes, second career Sharapova is not the same player as first career Sharapova was. It's mostly on the basis of her refuse to lose attitude that she's able to still do so well. And there aren't that many "absolute nobodies" around anymore. Lower ranked players beat top 15 players almost everyday.
A lot of players have fighting spirit and fight to the end...in pova case its because of the hype surrounding her and she believes her hype...to me Venus is a fighter more than pova,,,she is dealing with a condition that affects her everyday...never gets favorable draws,scheduling or good court assignments but soldiers on quietly and courageously.In pova s case its more of a PR thing trying to build her more than she is.
I am glad New Yorkers saw through the favoritism,the smug behavior and generally overrated poor play..if she is such a fighter why did she lose to Suarez Navarro..didnt have plan b in that match...tried to change momentum by taking strategic bathroom breaks..if she is such a fighter why did she lose to Wozniacki...fighters like her dont lose:nono

jhar26

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
tossip said:
jhar26 said:
Sundaymorningguy said:
Fiero425 said:
jhar26 said:

A lot of players have fighting spirit and fight to the end...in pova case its because of the hype surrounding her and she believes her hype...to me Venus is a fighter more than pova,,,she is dealing with a condition that affects her everyday...never gets favorable draws,scheduling or good court assignments but soldiers on quietly and courageously.In pova s case its more of a PR thing trying to build her more than she is.
I am glad New Yorkers saw through the favoritism,the smug behavior and generally overrated poor play..if she is such a fighter why did she lose to Suarez Navarro..didnt have plan b in that match...tried to change momentum by taking strategic bathroom breaks..if she is such a fighter why did she lose to Wozniacki...fighters like her dont lose:nono

Being a fighter has nothing to do with your level of play or having a plan A, B and C. For all we know the #300 ranked player may be the best fighter of the WTA and she would be #600 without it. But if she's simply not good enough she will never make the top 100 because there is a point where fighting spirit can no longer compensate for inferior skill.

I don't disagree with the high regard in which you hold Venus though. For doing what she is doing against really impossible odds they should give that woman a statue. :clap

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
jhar26 said:
tossip said:
jhar26 said:
Sundaymorningguy said:
Fiero425 said:

Being a fighter has nothing to do with your level of play or having a plan A, B and C. For all we know the #300 ranked player may be the best fighter of the WTA and she would be #600 without it. But if she's simply not good enough she will never make the top 100 because there is a point where fighting spirit can no longer compensate for inferior skill.

I don't disagree with the high regard in which you hold Venus though. For doing what she is doing against really impossible odds they should give that woman a statue. :clap
I think that scream is confused as fighting...there are certain players who dont scream but are quietly fighting and they quietly win their matches.In pova s case its more of hype by the media .