2014 US Open Final: Serena vs. Caroline

Who ya got between Besties?

• Total voters

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Serena leads the series 8-1

http://www.wtatennis.com/head2head/player1/12631/player2/9044

Caro's only win came at Miami in 2012. These two have met twice this summer on N.A. hard courts. Serena winning both contests in 3 sets.

Who ya got between Besties?
hi-res-6fbf4964348c7b93163fb14e50d34306_crop_north.jpg

vs.
caroline-wozniacki-2014-us-open-day-7.aspx

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Serena in straights. I would have voted three, but Caroline has been ill.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I believe Serena will win no.18 beating her bff..

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
I remember this from Montreal:

hoergren said:
Sundaymorningguy said:
Serena is through, but she made that far more difficult than it had to be.

Well to me Caroline played some of the best she's done and IMHO she's the only one right now that can threaten Serena - congrats to her by the way:clap

You had a point when you wrote that Hoergren.

Now as for picking this final, my head says Serena in straights but my heart says Caro in 2

Head or Heart?

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Hard to tell imo with so much on the line for both. If Serena gets very nervous and serves badly she'll be in trouble.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Serena will redeem herself and save her season.Caro will also be nervous and she hasnt been in this position in a long time.I think experience at this event will favor Rena..

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I will go with Serena in 3. She has been looking much better from the quarterfinals on. I am sure she will get nervous, but her lapses have not been nearly as bad as they were earlier in the year. There is a lot on the line for both of them, but I always say the first one is the hardest to win.

As long as she hits with authority like she did with Makarova, then Caroline doesn't stand a chance. I looked at Caroline's stats and she hit 10df which is 2 and half games which she can't afford to do against Serena.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I am not ready to make a prediction at this time.

However, I can say one thing for sure. Tennis will win in this match. Usually WTA finals
will be a blow out where one of the two players is either emotionally or physically or mentally
overwhelmed. That simply will not be the case this year. Serena is a seasoned veteran.
Caro had been a #1 player for lot of weeks and has won a lot of titles. She has been in
USO final before. So, there will not be any nervous wreck here and no player will be
crying during the match.

Both players definitely have lot on line. Serena wants to win #18 and join Chris
Evert and Martina Navaratilova. She is very desperate after missing out on all other
slams this year. Caro wants to prove that she can win it all. Also, wants to show
to Irish people that she also came out big after the break-up. Caro seems really,
really rejuvenated.

The last two times they played in NA hard courts, the matches were too close
even though Serena won it. So, almost anything can happen.

My neighbour borrowed my crystal ball and has not returned it yer. If I get
it back in time, I will weigh in again.

Also, I have vested interest here. I am currently at position #2 out of
4791 contestants in racquet bracket contest of tennis.com and if Serena wins, I
retain my position and thus get the second prize of gift card for $250 to be used in
Tennis Express. On the other hand if Caro wins, I am relegated to position #18
and so will not win anything as only top 5 finishers get prizes. If I don't win
this time, I will feel like Monfils, going home empty handed after coming so
close. :cover

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
I am not ready to make a prediction at this time.

However, I can say one thing for sure. Tennis will win in this match. Usually WTA finals
will be a blow out where one of the two players is either emotionally or physically or mentally
overwhelmed. That simply will not be the case this year. Serena is a seasoned veteran.
Caro had been a #1 player for lot of weeks and has won a lot of titles. She has been in
USO final before. So, there will not be any nervous wreck here and no player will be
crying during the match.

Both players definitely have lot on line. Serena wants to win #18 and join Chris
Evert and Martina Navaratilova. She is very desperate after missing out on all other
slams this year. Caro wants to prove that she can win it all. Also, wants to show
to Irish people that she also came out big after the break-up. Caro seems really,
really rejuvenated.

The last two times they played in NA hard courts, the matches were too close
even though Serena won it. So, almost anything can happen.

My neighbour borrowed my crystal ball and has not returned it yer. If I get
it back in time, I will weigh in again.

Also, I have vested interest here. I am currently at position #2 out of
4791 contestants in racquet bracket contest of tennis.com and if Serena wins, I
retain my position and thus get the second prize of gift card for $250 to be used in
Tennis Express. On the other hand if Caro wins, I am relegated to position #18
and so will not win anything as only top 5 finishers get prizes. If I don't win
this time, I will feel like Monfils, going home empty handed after coming so
close. :cover
from this long essay its easy to tell that you want Caro to win...

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Considering if Serena wins he wins $250 I dunno how you came to that conclusion...

golds girl

Major Winner
Reactions
^Hmm..it's bitter I gather.
Whatever Rory, we all know you were reaching when you dated Caro. She was always much better than you in every way.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I am afraid this may be a WTA match in which both players have positive differential
(winners - ufe), leading to my beheading. :puzzled

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't know why, but I get the feeling Caro wins this in straights in a shocker. I suspect her deadly defense will work to force a nervous Serena to over hit in the first set. Serena is playing for history and gets nervous in these situations at times. I believe that is what will occur and that Wozniaki will surprise her with some of her offensive newbies. I think her winning would be really good to end this year.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
shawnbm said:
I don't know why, but I get the feeling Caro wins this in straights in a shocker. I suspect her deadly defense will work to force a nervous Serena to over hit in the first set. Serena is playing for history and gets nervous in these situations at times. I believe that is what will occur and that Wozniaki will surprise her with some of her offensive newbies. I think her winning would be really good to end this year.

Likewise that wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. Serena could easily get shell shocked from the pressure of expectation (let's face it, there's way more pressure and expectation for her in this final) and start serving badly and dig herself into a deep rut.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I could see either scenario happening remember Caroline has pressure too to win a slam. We will just have to see which Serena comes to the party. I do know one thing that she won't win this playing tentatively. If she tries to counter punch with Caroline her life will be difficult.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
shawnbm said:

I could see Serena being nervous, but Caroline winning in straights. Not. Even if Serena drops the opener, she will snap out of it at some point and fight back. Will her fight back be enough to win her the next 2 sets? Not sure, but I don't see Caro taking this in straights. If Caro is to win it would likely be in 3.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Well two things that work in Serena's favor going into this match. All of her slam losses have come in straight sets, and I don't think Caroline can take her out in straight sets unless Serena is just that awful which I don't think she will be. Also, Djokovic went out, so that has to mean something since they have never won at the same slam together.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
Well two things that work in Serena's favor going into this match. All of her slam losses have come in straight sets, and I don't think Caroline can take her out in straight sets unless Serena is just that awful which I don't think she will be. Also, Djokovic went out, so that has to mean something since they have never won at the same slam together.

If nothing else, Novak's loss should focus her. I said before the tournament started she would be all business and she has been. I don't think that changes tomorrow. Nerves for sure, but not enough that she's completely paralyzed and forgets how to play.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think nerves will kick in trying to close things out and maybe at the start, but Serena hasn't done her usual middle of the match walkabout. All of her issues either happen near the beginning or end of the match.