2014 US Open Final: Serena vs. Caroline

Who ya got between Besties?

• Total voters

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
Also, Serena is the only player to have won the US Open Series and US Open two years in a row.

With Serena's win today a $ 4 million payout,the largest pay out in in tennis history,men's or women's.
Serena herself and Rafael Nadal had the previous record of $3.6 million.

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
I am not saying Halep beating Serena. I am saying Halep is someone who could catch her at number 1. Serena defends in Beijing and YEC which she excels at and she added Wuhan to her schedule. I am just saying if Halep does well from here theoretically she might be able to catch Serena and overtake her. Halep doesn't have much to defend, and she will add a lot of points if she does well in YEC. It is possible, but not necessarily guaranteed.

Even if Halep somehow ended the year ranked number one, no one is going to look at her as a legitimate number one.

Let's say she does hit the top spot, then you'll have the number two player as holding a slam and holding several of the biggest events outside of the slams, and the number one player neither holding a slam or any of the big tour events.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Calvy said:
Sundaymorningguy said:
I am not saying Halep beating Serena. I am saying Halep is someone who could catch her at number 1. Serena defends in Beijing and YEC which she excels at and she added Wuhan to her schedule. I am just saying if Halep does well from here theoretically she might be able to catch Serena and overtake her. Halep doesn't have much to defend, and she will add a lot of points if she does well in YEC. It is possible, but not necessarily guaranteed.

Even if Halep somehow ended the year ranked number one, no one is going to look at her as a legitimate number one.

Let's say she does hit the top spot, then you'll have the number two player as holding a slam and holding several of the biggest events outside of the slams, and the number one player neither holding a slam or any of the big tour events.

I am just saying I want her to hold onto number 1 it would be her first time holding onto #1 for a full calendar year if she can do it. I think she will.

Fefe26

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
pavlik89 said:
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPHbrru8W-I[/video]

from these highlights, looks like serena was envisioning Sharapova on the other side of the court.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
Calvy said:
Sundaymorningguy said:

I am just saying I want her to hold onto number 1 it would be her first time holding onto #1 for a full calendar year if she can do it. I think she will.

She's never been #1 for one full calendar year? That seems astonishing. I had no idea.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
Sundaymorningguy said:
Calvy said:
Sundaymorningguy said:

She's never been #1 for one full calendar year? That seems astonishing. I had no idea.

It is true. She has her best shot at it this year though :D!

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Go Serena. Big #18. Leaving Rog. in the dust.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Sundaymorningguy said:
Moxie629 said:
Sundaymorningguy said:
Calvy said:
Sundaymorningguy said:

Both Williams' underachieved by so much! Venus only held the top spot for 15 min.! Both who supposedly have the best serves in tennis! It took Serena until recently to overtake Hingis' record at being #1! That's why I've never been able to give her the NOD of GOAT the way Patrick McEnroe is surmising by 2015! He's an idiot! It's the same reason I've never given Nadal his due; the intermittent best and playing when they felt like it! At 32, she wants to get serious? :nono :puzzled :s :angel:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
Sundaymorningguy said:
Moxie629 said:
Sundaymorningguy said:
Calvy said:

Both Williams' underachieved by so much! Venus only held the top spot for 15 min.! Both who supposedly have the best serves in tennis! It took Serena until recently to overtake Hingis' record at being #1! That's why I've never been able to give her the NOD of GOAT the way Patrick McEnroe is surmising by 2015! He's an idiot! It's the same reason I've never given Nadal his due; the intermittent best and playing when they felt like it! At 32, she wants to get serious? :nono :puzzled :s :angel:

Fiero, you're do like to grasp on one thing an go all hysterical...in this case the Williams Sisters and the #1 ranking...but I have to think at this point you're kidding. Underachieved? Really? I'm sure you're joking. :cool:

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Moxie629 said:
Fiero425 said:
Sundaymorningguy said:
Moxie629 said:
Sundaymorningguy said:

Fiero, you're do like to grasp on one thing an go all hysterical...in this case the Williams Sisters and the #1 ranking...but I have to think at this point you're kidding. Underachieved? Really? I'm sure you're joking. :cool:

Just look at their history! They played "part time" in their prime years! Venus hasn't replicated winning a major off grass since 2001! Busy dealing with fashion, acting, public appearances, and red carpets left them little time to practice and play 10 years ago! Losing to players considered their inferiors; extended if not losing to people they should wipe out! Yeah, underachieving! DID I STUTTER? :nono :snigger :laydownlaughing :lolz: Both should have a lot more championships with both being on the tour since the 90's! Martina won 167 singles titles in her 20 years! Serena and Venus combined don't come close! Same with the doubles; Martina 177 titles with many partners and the Williams with a lot less playing with each other!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ You didn't stutter, but you're blustering a bit on this one. Is 18 Majors from Serena and 7 from Venus underachieving? They're both on the all-time greats list for lots of reasons. Venus has 45 titles, which is more than any other active player except Serena, who has 63. Venus was #1 three different times in her career, and Serena has been 6 times. They have 4 Olympic Gold medals.

Who are you to say they shouldn't have taken time for their other projects? And at (nearly) 33, and 34, they're still in the game in a real way. You've made a case that they might have achieved even more, if they'd been solely tennis players, but they are women with varied interests. I don't fault them for pursuing them. But the fact that they can go away from tennis, then come back and dominate says a lot about their tennis. I see nothing wrong with them choosing to be more Renaissance women then just tennis players who rack up trophies. It will serve them better, post-tennis. And the tennis resumes, such as they are, are not so puny. :cool:

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
For Serena, the only years that are truly sketchy is that stretch from 2005-early 2008. Some of that was littered with injury. That is a good chunk of time, but I also think it helped Serena maintain some longevity. I mean her fitness was pretty terrible during those year, but other than that she has maintained her fitness during the time frame outside of those years. She had that stretch with knee surgery that kept her out of the USO 2003 and AO 2004 and that stretch that kept her out of the USO 2010, AO 2011 and FO 2011 because of the broken glass and embolism. I mean those injuries sucked during that time frame as Serena had a lot of momentum and was in decent form when she was sidelined. I think Serena has made the most of her career. She has rarely lost when she makes it past the semis. Since the US Open 2008, Serena has lost only one slam final, so it shows she is making the most of it when she gets there.

I think you can make more of a case for Venus being an underachiever than Serena. I mean Venus hasn't really tinkered with her game too much ever since Serena started showing her up. Serena at least got new voices and new people onto her team to try and improve.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
:clap Congrats to Serena on No. 18! :clap :celeb:

Quite the elite club she's joined with Evert and Navratilova. (Will she tie or surpass Graf? Hmm ...)

Also, congrats to fashionista, Kiu, and sk310 for predicting the correct result: Serena in two. :clap

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I will put it to you this way between 2005-2008 Serena won 3 majors leaving 13 majors for others to claim. Venus claimed 3, Justine 4(then retired at close to her peak in 2008) and Maria Sharapova claimed 2 slams. Any 3 of those women really could have had a field day during that time frame especially Maria and Venus, but they didn't make the most of their chances with Serena out or in poor playing condition.

K

Kenneth

hoergren said:
Well this says many things :)

10665890_929002440447539_1307438107_n.jpg
This too lol!
538b403c72331.jpg