2014 US Open Final: Serena vs. Caroline

Who ya got between Besties?

• Total voters

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
fashionista said:
A great stat for Serena now she is 18-4 in Grand Slam finals.

2 of those losses came from Venus, one from Maria and one from Stosur

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Some pictures from Serena & Caro's party w/ Joe Jonas last night:
screen-shot-2014-09-08-at-8-18-25-am.png

3.bild.jpg

And A-Rod interviewed Serena for Fox Sports
http://www.foxsports.com/video?vid=326292035717

tented

Administrator
Reactions
kskate2 said:

Does anyone else think it's strange Caroline went out partying with the woman who just straight setted her in a major final earlier that day?

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
tented said:
kskate2 said:

Does anyone else think it's strange Caroline went out partying with the woman who just straight setted her in a major final earlier that day?

Nope. I kind of expected it would be case no matter who won. Caro is attending Serena's fashion show in NY later this week.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Kenneth said:
hoergren said:
Well this says many things :)

10665890_929002440447539_1307438107_n.jpg
This too lol!
538b403c72331.jpg

Wozy game has improved tremendously and she will win a grand Slam one day soon if she just hangs around and catches Serena on day when she is off her game , but yesterday wasnt that day.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
kskate2 said:

3.bild.jpg

Kskate, who is the hot Blonde above Serena:clap:heart:

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
^ Not sure AP, but give me some time and I'll find out.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
kskate2 said:
^ Not sure AP, but give me some time and I'll find out.

Damn.. Serena looks fantastic in that "Cat bathing suit" .. Thanks Ks.. do you have any more :clap

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
^ You didn't stutter, but you're blustering a bit on this one. Is 18 Majors from Serena and 7 from Venus underachieving? They're both on the all-time greats list for lots of reasons. Venus has 45 titles, which is more than any other active player except Serena, who has 63. Venus was #1 three different times in her career, and Serena has been 6 times. They have 4 Olympic Gold medals.

Who are you to say they shouldn't have taken time for their other projects? And at (nearly) 33, and 34, they're still in the game in a real way. You've made a case that they might have achieved even more, if they'd been solely tennis players, but they are women with varied interests. I don't fault them for pursuing them. But the fact that they can go away from tennis, then come back and dominate says a lot about their tennis. I see nothing wrong with them choosing to be more Renaissance women then just tennis players who rack up trophies. It will serve them better, post-tennis. And the tennis resumes, such as they are, are not so puny. :cool:

Actually, I too feel that both Serena and Venus underachieved in comparison to their potential.
I am not saying that their current achievement level is low. I just think that they both were
far more capable than their actual achievements. i.e., I am not comparing them to others.
I am just comparing them to what they could have achieved if they had taken tennis more
seriously than they do, especially in early years.

However, I do agree that as you pointed out, it is their life and they can live it however
the heck they want to. Having said that, their right to live the life the way they seem fit
does not take away my right to comment that they could have achieved lot more if they
had been more serious about their tennis career especially in their prime years.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
AP, Have you seen her new ad for Dre's Wireless Beats headphones? She is completely ripped in that thing:
serena-williams-beats.jpg

tumblr_mxnq90gmtS1s5lshxo1_500.gif

serena.jpg

10691680_951524474863037_154348957_n.jpg

Here's the video shot last month:
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTD79N5PUN0[/video]

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
kskate2 said:
AP, Have you seen her new ad for Dre's Wireless Beats headphones? She is completely ripped in that thing:
serena-williams-beats.jpg

tumblr_mxnq90gmtS1s5lshxo1_500.gif

serena.jpg

10691680_951524474863037_154348957_n.jpg

Here's the video shot last month:
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTD79N5PUN0[/video]

Damn.. She is ripped.. My wife is goregous and Fine.. But I am gonna send her back to the gym to get tight like Rena:clap

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
^ You didn't stutter, but you're blustering a bit on this one. Is 18 Majors from Serena and 7 from Venus underachieving? They're both on the all-time greats list for lots of reasons. Venus has 45 titles, which is more than any other active player except Serena, who has 63. Venus was #1 three different times in her career, and Serena has been 6 times. They have 4 Olympic Gold medals.

Who are you to say they shouldn't have taken time for their other projects? And at (nearly) 33, and 34, they're still in the game in a real way. You've made a case that they might have achieved even more, if they'd been solely tennis players, but they are women with varied interests. I don't fault them for pursuing them. But the fact that they can go away from tennis, then come back and dominate says a lot about their tennis. I see nothing wrong with them choosing to be more Renaissance women then just tennis players who rack up trophies. It will serve them better, post-tennis. And the tennis resumes, such as they are, are not so puny. :cool:
Are you sure? I thought Venus was only #1 once and it was for 11 or 12 weeks.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Ben Rothenberg on Twitter

In the final question of her press,Serena was asked what she'd name a perfume inspired by this win
"Legal 18",she answered #usopen.

lomaha

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
kskate2 said:

3.bild.jpg

Kskate, who is the hot Blonde above Serena:clap:heart:

It's Gigi Hadid - a model

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
special700 said:
Moxie629 said:

Are you sure? I thought Venus was only #1 once and it was for 11 or 12 weeks.

Between Feb 2002 and June 2002. It was 11 weeks, but she went back and forth with Capriati. You can see it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WTA_number_1_ranked_players

Rather splitting hairs to your point, though. 20th on the list of weeks at #1, anyway.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
tented said:
kskate2 said:

thats good PR for WTA:clapits called maturity....Caro knows her time will come and showing the tour that girls can be fierce opponents .. leave it on the court and still be friends...there is no need to be catty ...

K

Kenneth

tossip said:
tented said:
kskate2 said:

thats good PR for WTA:clapits called maturity....Caro knows her time will come and showing the tour that girls can be fierce opponents .. leave it on the court and still be friends...there is no need to be catty ...

Nothing strange! Sports people are taught to respect their opponents and I think she is cool for accepting the loss this time and go party!

jhar26

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
tented said:
kskate2 said:

It's only strange in that it's unusual. But when you think about it Caroline has reason to party, even after this loss. Just three months ago everybody (including even a fan like me) was whining that her career was over, that she was going from bad to worse, etc... Three months later she has greatly improved her game, has won her first tournament of the year, has worked her way back into the top 10 and has made a slam final. So she has earned her right to party, shake whatever needs shaking and drink a few too many. The girl has just resurrected her career! And since we can credit Serena for helping to pull her out of the hole she was in following the break-up with Rory it's even appropriate that she does that partying with Serena. :celeb:

jhar26

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Moxie629 said:

Actually, I too feel that both Serena and Venus underachieved in comparison to their potential.
I am not saying that their current achievement level is low. I just think that they both were
far more capable than their actual achievements. i.e., I am not comparing them to others.
I am just comparing them to what they could have achieved if they had taken tennis more
seriously than they do, especially in early years.

However, I do agree that as you pointed out, it is their life and they can live it however
the heck they want to. Having said that, their right to live the life the way they seem fit
does not take away my right to comment that they could have achieved lot more if they
had been more serious about their tennis career especially in their prime years.
There are two sides to this. But first of all, EVERY player, no matter how successful is a underachiever up to a point. Even Margaret Court probably could have won 25 instead of 24 majors if she hadn't made a mess of this or that breakpoint or setpoint in this or that match at one of the majors she DIDN'T win.

Be that as it may, yes, Serena could potentially have won even more in the previous decade if her mind had always been 100% on the job - not only slams, but also more of everything else. But the fact that she paced herself also means that she now still has more gasoline left in the tank than otherwise would have been the case.

Venus is a more complicated story because of the sjogren's syndrome. We will never know how long that was already in her body before it was diagnosed and for how long it has affected her performances on the tennis courts.