Who ya got: Samurai or Croat Giant?

• Total voters

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
No. This is not an alternate reality. :nono

Kei leads the series 5-2

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=N552&oId=C977

Kei has won the last 3 meetings including 2 this year: one in Brisbane and the other in Barcelona. They've met twice in the slams before splitting those matches. Interesting enough, both slam matches were contested here at the USO in 2012 and 2010.

Who wins their maiden slam?

db3bc2991451f3235e0f6a706700bb83.jpg

vs.
Just-Like-Goran%21-Marin-Cilic-reaches-US-Open-semifinals%2C-18-years-after-Ivanisevic-img22679_668.jpg

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Hmmm I didn't know New York had a 250 event.... ahem...

Rooting for Kei and I think he'll take it in 5 sets to become the first Japanese GS winner in history!

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
tennisfanaticblog.weebly.com
Denisovich said:
Hmmm I didn't know New York had a 250 event.... ahem...

Rooting for Kei and I think he'll take it in 5 sets to become the first Japanese GS winner in history!

Hehe :clap

Hopefully Kei wins this. Did not see this final coming, insane.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Each time I picked the guy I thought would win, I was wrong. So I am picking Marin in five.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I pick Nishikori in four sets. Although Cilic is serving well in this tournament, Nishikori's return of serve and baseline game will be too much for Cilic.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Cilic was totally dominant, but you never know where they'll be in two days.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think it's a battle that Kei wins in 5. But honestly, I have nooooooo idea.

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
If everything remains the same as today, Cilic wins in 3. He was hitting the ball so powerfully from both wings, and I think he will overpower Nishikori. The problem with some of these younger players is that they can not sustain that kind of play for a long time. From his interview, Cillic was saying that Goran has helped his game a lot, so he may be able to continue playing like this. I am gutted because #18 may never come.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Cilic will have some nerves, but anything close to how he played today means he wins in four sets (allowing for some jitters).

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I root for the Samurai. Will get into prediction business later after I had enough time to grieve.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Judging by both performances today, Cilic wins this in 3 or 4.

atttomole said:
If everything remains the same as today, Cilic wins in 3. He was hitting the ball so powerfully from both wings, and I think he will overpower Nishikori. The problem with some of these younger players is that they can not sustain that kind of play for a long time. From his interview, Cillic was saying that Goran has helped his game a lot, so he may be able to continue playing like this. I am gutted because #18 may never come.

You fed fans are overestimating fed's return capabilities, kei will have a decent shot at cilic serve. Cilic was returning well too though.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
atttomole said:

I think Kei will have more success redirecting his power than Roger did, but who knows. We are in uncharted territory for both players.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Intriguing final. The sword of doom versus the tablet/syringe of doom ;)

Japanese-swords-samurai-swords-musashi-maou-kaze-katana.jpg

Versus

non-liquid-collagen-supplement.jpg

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Funny stuff from the BBC write up of today's matches: "So, it's the final we all predicted - 10th seed Kei Nishikori versus 14th seed Marin Cilic."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/live/tennis/29010919

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
By the way, this will be the 2nd time in three years that there will be four different Slam winners.

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Denisovich said:
1972Murat said:
Judging by both performances today, Cilic wins this in 3 or 4.

atttomole said:

You fed fans are overestimating fed's return capabilities, kei will have a decent shot at cilic serve. Cilic was returning well too though.

Maybe, but it seemed to me that he had variation to his serve. Furthermore, he was hitting the ball cleanly at rallies. I was expecting him to shank during rallies, like he does often, but that did not happen today. It is possible that Nishikori may read his serve well, which I doubt based on what I saw today. I think Cilic will not allow Nishikori to get into rallies with the hard serve and quick winners.

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Riotbeard said:
atttomole said:

I think Kei will have more success redirecting his power than Roger did, but who knows. We are in uncharted territory for both players.
It will be hard if Cilic serves consistently with variation. And this will be the first time that both guys are playing in a major final, which is intriguing.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Today reminds me of the semis of 2008 AO.

Both Roger and Rafa were involved in the semifinals and everyone thought that they
will make it to the finals and it will be a Fedal final.

However, Novak took out Roger and Tsonga took out Rafa to produce an unexpected
final.