2014 FIFA World Cup Semifinals

Who wins World Cup 2014?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
tennisville said:
Could have been 10-1 , thats the scary part. One of the worst brazilian sides ever. Really missed Thiago Silva today

Also Neymar.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
fashionista said:
tennisville said:
Could have been 10-1 , thats the scary part. One of the worst brazilian sides ever. Really missed Thiago Silva today

Also Neymar.

I seriously don't think they'd have made much difference. There's a huge problem for Brazil and it's been there for years....

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
fashionista said:
tennisville said:

Also Neymar.

I seriously don't think they'd have made much difference. There's a huge problem for Brazil and it's been there for years....

Probably not....Brazil's defence was all over the place....

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Brazil are going to have to look at everything, because basically they've become a third world football nation. Their place among the elite is shattered. They have no midfield, mediocre players like David Luis in defence, the hapless Fred up front. They're utterly unBrazilian in their play, far too many players playing in Europe, forgetting how to improvise and play with flair.

Their manager had them hoofing long balls when they had possession. They're a shambles. Tonight was an historic disgrace and I only hope there's no fatalities and trouble there now. I heard they've upped the security. It's shocking, in football terms.

Germany are a good side, and they tore them apart like five a side football...

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
I am not surprised Germany won. They are the better TEAM and I picked them to win the whole thing.
But what happened today was not acceptable. We can talk about a million things that are wrong about this Brazilian side but for me , in a nutshell, they have not been playing Brazilian football for at least 5-6 years.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
Brazil are going to have to look at everything, because basically they've become a third world football nation. Their place among the elite is shattered. They have no midfield, mediocre players like David Luis in defence, the hapless Fred up front. They're utterly unBrazilian in their play, far too many players playing in Europe, forgetting how to improvise and play with flair.

Their manager had them hoofing long balls when they had possession. They're a shambles. Tonight was an historic disgrace and I only hope there's no fatalities and trouble there now. I heard they've upped the security. It's shocking, in football terms.

Germany are a good side, and they tore them apart like five a side football...

I watched most of that match with my mouth open in shock, from the 3rd goal on. I'm heartbroken for the fans in Brazil, but here's my question, based on your point, which I bolded above. Had lunch with a very knowledgeable friend about football yesterday…he's Turkish, btw. He said that Brazil's most lucrative export is footballers. You say too many play in Europe. I'm wondering about this notion of loss of Brazilian style, and also cohesion, by sending it abroad. Spain went down badly this year, but won last time, in part, I think, because most of their players played on Spanish teams, even if they were rivals, so it wasn't hard to make a cohesive "cantera." Anything in that?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
1972Murat said:
^Moxie, please say "Merhaba" to your Turkish friend from me.

I saw you were all excited about the new event in Istanbul. And if I say "Merhaba," what would that mean?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Moxie629 said:
1972Murat said:
^Moxie, please say "Merhaba" to your Turkish friend from me.

I saw you were all excited about the new event in Istanbul. And if I say "Merhaba," what would that mean?

Just a greeting. Don't worry, I am not teaching you bad words ;)

I never would have thought that, habibi. :)

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions
The funny thing is David Luiz is the most expensive defender right now :laydownlaughing

No Neymar wont have made a difference but their defense was so poor that Thiago Silva did. So many lapses in play by the brazilian defense that its not even funny

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Losing Thiago Silva certainly didn't help. They'd still have been thrashed, but not so heavily, maybe. They were a shambles, but for example, the first goal: maybe 7 Brazil players in the box for the corner, in front of Muller, who was alone on the six yard line to score. That's the coaches business, really, showing them how to defend corners, but also, they're professional footballers, not park players. But Thiago Silva might have made a difference there, in getting them into position and warning them to watch for German activity...

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
"No chance" is a bit strong, but I'd have Germany as favourites.

Looks like "No chance" was not strong enough. :laydownlaughing
I was not expecting this scoreline as well when I wrote those words.

p.s. Apologies for gloating. :blush:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
I watched most of that match with my mouth open in shock, from the 3rd goal on. I'm heartbroken for the fans in Brazil, but here's my question, based on your point, which I bolded above. Had lunch with a very knowledgeable friend about football yesterday…he's Turkish, btw. He said that Brazil's most lucrative export is footballers. You say too many play in Europe. I'm wondering about this notion of loss of Brazilian style, and also cohesion, by sending it abroad. Spain went down badly this year, but won last time, in part, I think, because most of their players played on Spanish teams, even if they were rivals, so it wasn't hard to make a cohesive "cantera." Anything in that?

Well, firstly, Brazil don't have great players. So no matter how they tried to play, they weren't going to do any better. Even Neymar, their best player, was becoming less effective in each match, before he was brutally hacked down. They have mediocre guys like Fred, and Hulk, players who just aren't up to this level. Despite his €50 price tag, David Luis is an awful footballer. He was hoofing long balls when he had plenty of time in possession. He has no position sense, and he gives away free kicks very easily. He's indicative of how readily people were to over-rate this team.

As for the European thingy, we discussed this here, how it's detrimental to the traditional style of Brazilian play that all their best players get slotted into systems in Europe and play the European way, which is reliant on organisation at the expense of improvisation.

Brazilian football will need to look hard at itself now, because it's in full-blown crisis. Their footballing identity has long been compromised by emphasising results over individual expression - instead of marrying the two. They have to make a root and branch overhaul of the way they do things, because they're not producing great players, anyway.

It was pointed out on telly last night that the Germans suffered a 5-1 defeat to England at home, and they were in decline, but they came out of it, so it isn't a hopeless task...

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
yeah...

Attachments

• g2.jpg
    g2.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 82

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
can anyone explain how I can take an I-message of a youtube video I received and post it here as a link? It is absolutely hysterical and deals with this destruction yesterday.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
shawnbm said:
can anyone explain how I can take an I-message of a youtube video I received and post it here as a link? It is absolutely hysterical and deals with this destruction yesterday.

Hold your finger down on the link until a small menu appears that lets you copy it, then paste it in here as usual. Or else, just take the name of the vid and look it up on YouTube! :)

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Here it is, Kieran! LOL

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLZUKqpXYzU&feature=share&list=PL8fVUTBmJhHL9WvL59_Vu4-W0pC5ePcto[/video]

I laughed right out loud