2014 Aussie Open QF: Nadal vs. Dimitrov

Who wins this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Since we already have two quarterfinal polls, I will post the other two quarterfinal polls.

Nadal leads the H2H record 3-0 but in those meetings Dimitrov took a set from Nadal including their clay matchup last year at Monte Carlo.

In addition, this is Dimitrov's first Quarterfinal Slam appearance so it is a big moment from him.

Also, Nadal look shaky against Nishikori so this could potentially be a five setter.

Anyways, I pick Nadal in four sets.

If Nadal plays like he did against Monfils, then it would be in three sets. But, if Nadal plays like he did against Nishikori, it's gonna be a long night, folks.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
RE: 2014 Australian Open Quarterfinal: Rafael Nadal vs. Grigor Dimitrov

rafanoy1992 said:
Since we already have two quarterfinal polls, I will post the other two quarterfinal polls.

Nadal leads the H2H record 3-0 but in those meetings Dimitrov took a set from Nadal including their clay matchup last year at Monte Carlo.

In addition, this is Dimitrov's first Quarterfinal Slam appearance so it is a big moment from him.

Also, Nadal look shaky against Nishikori so this could potentially be a five setter.

Anyways, I pick Nadal in four sets.

If Nadal plays like he did against Monfils, then it would be in three sets. But, if Nadal plays like he did against Nishikori, it's gonna be a long night, folks.

I have Nadal in 4, but that's based on the form he showed last night. Otherwise, in three sets. I haven't seen Dimitrov yet here, though. I think his single-handed backhand handles the spin a bit better than Fed's (if I remember correctly from their match in [edit: Monaco] I think), so that will help, but Dimitrov hasn't shown that he has the grit to beat Nadal.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

One thing Dimi has on his side is he facing the number one player in the world. He is not expected to win, so hopefully he will swing freely. If he does that, he should get a set. I picked Nadal in 4.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

^ Likewise, I'm thinking Dimitrov might grab a set but Nadal wins going away.

bobvance

Pro Tour Player
Reactions

I just can't remember the last time someone beat Rafa at a Slam playing average to slightly above-average tennis. Rafa makes you bring the goods if you want to beat him and I'm not sure Grigor has what it takes.

Goldenboy

Futures Player
Reactions

Rafa in 4 is my prediction. But hopefully it takes only 3.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions

Rafa in 3 sets

rahulpawar

Club Member
Reactions

Rafa in 3. Rafa has a very dominating record against single handed backhand players and though his forehand may not be bouncing very high as it used say 2 years back at australian open but I still see no reason why that trend should not continue. Plus he is definitely serving his best this year.

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions

I think Dimitrov may take a set ... or perhaps even two. No upset.

Tennis Miller

Pro Tour Player
Reactions

rahulpawar said:
Rafa in 3. Rafa has a very dominating record against single handed backhand players and though his forehand may not be bouncing very high as it used say 2 years back at australian open but I still see no reason why that trend should not continue. Plus he is definitely serving his best this year.

This is exactly why Dimitrov has absolutely no chance.

Cheers
TM

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

although deep down i think rafa will find a way to win (he usually does)..

im going to stick my (goose) neck out and say sir grigor the great will upset the apple cart and triumph in a 5 set classic, with rafa dissolving into an agitated anti-vamos cloud of time penaltys, misfiring forehands, and blister aggro.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

When asked in the post match interview as to who he would prefer to play, he said
"it does not matter". I take that response to mean that he is already happy that he
has made it this far.

This is the end of the road for Grigor.

But, I will give him a set based on the previous match of Nadal.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

Slam quarter at 22 is hopefully the start of a more knuckled down results driven Dimitrov of the future at least. It's a good move in the right direction.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

1972Murat said:
Rafa in 5. I am expecting the Bulgarian to put up a good fight.

This is exactly what I've grown weary of expecting from Dimitrov. He reads too much of his own press about his 'talents,' but lacks something deep in the area of bile and guts, imo. He should put up a good fight. I just don't have faith that he will. If Rafa is slacking, like v. Nishikori, and Dimitrov pressing, it could go 4-5. Grigor has the OHBH, but he's 6'3" and the court by all accounts isn't giving the bounce. Grigor has taken a set in all of their previous encounters, so he may well here. That's probably it.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Like most I voted Rafa in 4. I think Grigor could surprise him a bit, but he'll crack down. I'm predicting either:

7-5, 7-6, 6-2

or 6-7, 6-4, 6-3, 6-1

Or something like that. Grigor holds his own for the first two or three then falls apart as he faces the Rafa Steamroll.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Nishikori was Rafa's mid-Major wake-up call (remember Kohlschreiber at last year's USO?). Now he'll be ready to take it to the next level. Dimitrov, on the other hand, isn't used to the psychological pressure of being in a Major QF. Nor does he have any experience playing this much best-of-5 set tennis at a Major. I think the occasion will get to him (psychologically and/or physically), and Rafa will be all business. Rafa in 3.

Goldenboy

Futures Player
Reactions
With Novak out, massive opportunity for Rafa. Dimitrov may have a caught a case of upset syndrome and will likely come out with a lot of motivation and belief.

Would that blister please heal.

Rafa needs to start fast and make the match as physical as possible.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nadal in 3 and I guess he'll win AO too after Nole's epic fail