• Stan in 5

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Rafa leads the series 12-0

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=N409&oId=W367

They met 4 times last year, twice on HC and twice on clay. Stan has never taken a set against Nadal. Can his new found confidence win him a set or the match?

Who ya got: The Matador or the Man?

rafa-nadal-kei-nishikori-r4-australian-open-22-ap-aaron-favila.jpg

vs.
stanislas-wawrinka-2074910.jpg

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The matador in three sets and completing his second career grand slam.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Poor Stan. I gave him a sympathy vote in four.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Wawrinka is much more of a power player than Federer. He will make it interesting.

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
Wawrinka has nothing to lose here. He'll obviously be the underdog, and when you look at their H2H, not to mention the fact that Stan has yet to win a set, I am sure most people are expecting a customary win for Nadal. Then again, it is a Slam final and stranger things have happened. Stan seemed a bit tight in his semifinal match against Berdych - perhaps because he knew he was the favourite or he thought he could win playing within himself. I am hoping Stan comes out with a "live free or die hard" attitude and just plays risky, aggressive, anything-but-passive tennis. This is what he did against Djokovic and it proved imperative in his victory. If he does, perhaps he could trouble Nadal to a strong extent. In saying that, Nadal is freakish. As it is true he does not play the most alluring style of tennis, he is a beast who just will not let go. I'm sure he'll replicate the same type of tennis we saw in his match against Federer come Sunday. There is no way he'll be hitting those double faults or making those uncharacteristic errors like we saw in the QF. He is so clutch in the big matches.

Ultimately, this match is on nobody's racket. If Stan seizes the opportunity and tries to hit Nadal off the court, then we have a match on our hands. If he decides to play within himself and hope for the best, Rafa has got this in straight sets. Nadal seldom - if ever - adjusts his playing style to win a match. When things get tough, we never see any discernible changes in his game. If Stan can catch him by surprise and try and have a good night with that impeccable backhand of his, Nadal won't have many answers, tactically speaking, other than try to step it up himself. It is going to be an interesting match. Perhaps I am being too overt in my optimism, but I believe Stan has the weapons to trouble Nadal (not necessarily win, but trouble) - it's just whether he'll utilize them and whether he can execute them accordingly, which will always be difficult when you are in a Slam final.

I look forward to the match, regardless of the result. It's always refreshing to see a new face in a Slam final, especially one who has the weapons to trouble any of the guys on tour (unlike, say, Ferrer). Oh, and there is, of course, a bit of history on the line - Nadal attempting to be the only the second man in the Open Era to win multiples of every Grand Slam. My prediction: Nadal in 4.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
kskate2 said:
Stan has never taken a set against Nadal. Can his new found confidence win him a set or the match?

No. Rafa in straights.

If Stan can't win a set in, say, a third round match, he won't win one in his first ever Major final -- a situation Rafa is well acquainted with.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
TsarMatt said:
Wawrinka has nothing to lose here. He'll obviously be the underdog, and when you look at their H2H, not to mention the fact that Stan has yet to win a set, I am sure most people are expecting a customary win for Nadal. Then again, it is a Slam final and stranger things have happened. Stan seemed a bit tight in his semifinal match against Berdych - perhaps because he knew he was the favourite or he thought he could win playing within himself. I am hoping Stan comes out with a "live free or die hard" attitude and just plays risky, aggressive, anything-but-passive tennis. This is what he did against Djokovic and it proved imperative in his victory. If he does, perhaps he could trouble Nadal to a strong extent. In saying that, Nadal is freakish. As it is true he does not play the most alluring style of tennis, he is a beast who just will not let go. I'm sure he'll replicate the same type of tennis we saw in his match against Federer come Sunday. There is no way he'll be hitting those double faults or making those uncharacteristic errors like we saw in the QF. He is so clutch in the big matches.

Ultimately, this match is on nobody's racket. If Stan seizes the opportunity and tries to hit Nadal off the court, then we have a match on our hands. If he decides to play within himself and hope for the best, Rafa has got this in straight sets. Nadal seldom - if ever - adjusts his playing style to win a match. When things get tough, we never see any discernible changes in his game. If Stan can catch him by surprise and try and have a good night with that impeccable backhand of his, Nadal won't have many answers, tactically speaking, other than try to step it up himself. It is going to be an interesting match. Perhaps I am being too overt in my optimism, but I believe Stan has the weapons to trouble Nadal (not necessarily win, but trouble) - it's just whether he'll utilize them and whether he can execute them accordingly, which will always be difficult when you are in a Slam final.

I look forward to the match, regardless of the result. It's always refreshing to see a new face in a Slam final, especially one who has the weapons to trouble any of the guys on tour (unlike, say, Ferrer). Oh, and there is, of course, a bit of history on the line - Nadal attempting to be the only the second man in the Open Era to win multiples of every Grand Slam. My prediction: Nadal in 4.

So glad to have you on board, Matt! OK, you're of the ilk that doesn't find Nadal's tennis "alluring." Some of us do, though. :) Surely, Stan has a mountain to climb. But he's been climbing it all tournament, and most of the last year. Plus, he's Swiss…they know about mountains, and climbing them. I'd never underestimate someone who made the final.

That said….Rafa in 3.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Wawrinka needs an otherworldly serving performance to make it interesting. His groundstrokes are very good, but the way his backhand is designed is he tends to stand back to give himself time to line up the balls, allowing Nadal to push him around the court. Yes, his backhand is big enough to where it will do its fair share of damage, but on the long run during the match, on a rally-to-rally basis, he'll get pushed around. Occasionally however, Stan does tend to step up and take the forehand early, and that's another thing he needs to do to have a chance.

The good news for him is Nadal tends to have trouble breaking his serve. They always seem to go to tie-breaks. Of course, the bad news is, Stan never wins them.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Seems like a good time to catch up on sleep for me. It'd take a tremendous effort for Stan to win more than 1 set and he probably won't win that. It will probably be tougher than today but no way is Rafa losing to Stan.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Congratulations to Nadal for win #23 over Federer. Early congratulations also on his 14th Major.

Rafa in 4. Stan wins his first set against him.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Denisovich said:
Poor Stan. I gave him a sympathy vote in four.

Same for me, hope God of tennis will help Stan to win, pray for him saints and sinners

bobvance

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
I like Stan very much and hope he can avenge Roger. I just don't see it happening. Rafa is going to exploit Stan's movement and keep him under pressure until Stan cracks.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Well, at least Wawrinka has a sense of humor.

He re-tweeted the following tweet from the Rafael Nadal parody account:

"Not Rafa Nadal ‏@PseudoRafa 3h:
Against Stan I'm gonna #trymybest. Or maybe not. I never lost a set with him anyway."

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
You never know either the occasion will get to Wawrinka, or he might put everything into it realizing he will never have a better shot at a major probably. Wawrinka is on the rise a semis showing at the US Open and now his first final, so he is putting it all together.

Goldenboy

Futures Player
Reactions
I would say Rafa in 4, but Wawrinka could have a Del Potro moment and produce a career match. If Rafa is a little off, it might get interesting.

I hope Rafa wins.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
1972Murat said:
If Stan can hit the DTL backhand well enough , he might get a set. Rafa's form is up again (he needs a Federer match to get back in top form) , so I am not expecting any surprises. I will say Rafa in 4.

If Stan can hit the DTL backhand well enough

I am glad that I am not the only person to make this assumption. Cali said I was insane, go figure

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
If Nadal wins this match, he would extend his own streak of consecutive years of at least winning one major to 10 straight years.

By the way, Nadal has only lost one set in Grand Slam finals against players not named Federer or Djokovic. In fact, ever since he lost the first set against Puerta in his first Grand Slam final, he has won 12 straight sets against players not named Federer and Djokovic.

So, Stan would have a huge task just to take a set from him.