2014 Aussie Open QF: Ferrer vs. Berdych

Who ya got: the Bulldog or the soccer ref?

• Total voters

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Ferrer leads the series 7-4

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=F401&oId=BA47

They met twice on HC last year and split those meetings. Berd winning the Barclay's Tour Finals RR match and Ferrer winning a QF at Bercy.

Who ya got: the Bulldog or the soccer ref?

2014-01-15T060039Z_1_CBREA0E0GP700_RTROPTP_3_SPORTS-US-TENNIS-OPEN-FERRER_JPG_475x310_q85.jpg

vs.
Tomas%2BBerdych%2BAustralian%2BOpen%2BDay%2B1%2BS6cpiLIEqZFl.jpg

sid

Masters Champion
Reactions
I think Berdych is playing good atm so I pick him 2 win.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Ferrer in four.

h2h is 4 - 7 in favour of Ferrer:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=BA47&oId=F401

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I like the soccer ref on hard courts. Besides, Ferru's age is bound to show up soon
and may be this is the right time for it to show up.

Ferru can win if Berdych's ball toss on match point escapes the gravity and does
not come back for him to smash it. :cool:

Bird in four.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I picked Ferrer in 4. Berdych has quietly made his way through the draw and I would love to see him win.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
VERY difficult match to pick. It seems like they each have the kind of weapons to give the other one trouble, especially on this surface (ie Berdych has the firepower to hit through Ferrer, while David has the movement to trouble Berdych, counter-punch, make him hit an extra shot and move him around with the forehand).

The one big difference could be the serve, and that's what makes me lean towards Berdych. In a close match, he can rely on it to get a few vital cheap points, whereas Ferrer might have to work harder. Of course, the flipside is Berdych's second serve is average and Ferrer is an excellent returner.

Still going with Berdych in 4, maybe 5.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:
VERY difficult match to pick. It seems like they each have the kind of weapons to give the other one trouble, especially on this surface (ie Berdych has the firepower to hit through Ferrer, while David has the movement to trouble Berdych, counter-punch, make him hit an extra shot and move him around with the forehand).

The one big difference could be the serve, and that's what makes me lean towards Berdych. In a close match, he can rely on it to get a few vital cheap points, whereas Ferrer might have to work harder. Of course, the flipside is Berdych's second serve is average and Ferrer is an excellent returner.

Still going with Berdych in 4, maybe 5.

Berdych in 4. One break a set. TB is one of a handful of players that can hit through the Little Beast. He will serve his way out trouble too. He has been just bone crushing the ball all week.

He has added 15% to his confidence level due to the off season emphasis on fitness and movement, his biggest weakness.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I have to go with Ferrer, but it will likely be a tight match.

Tennis Miller

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Is it correct that if the Ref beats Lord Farquahar, and Fed doesn't reach the final, then Roger drops to #7?

I always like the matches where there's almost a foot difference in the heights of the players...
Cheers

TM

HawkEye

Futures Player
Reactions
Actually if he loses next match with Andy he'll drop to #8.

Tennis Miller

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
HawkEye said:
Actually if he loses next match with Andy he'll drop to #8.

Right, and even if he beats Andy but loses to Nadal, Roger still drops to 7 if Berdych beats Ferrer?

Cheers
TM

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
No idea so I didn't actually vote but hoping Berdych takes it but I'm not one of the people who votes just 'cos I want a player to win eventhough I don't expect them to. He has a tendency to get frustrated with guys like Ferrer getting every ball back and then his game often turns to muck. Hopefully he can keep his nerves and frustration in check. Agree with the comments from everyone else here and it's a tough one to call but should hopefully be good. Ferrer's consistency in the slams is very admirable eventhough I'm not a fan. Berdych is long overdue a return to a slam semi and I hope he at least makes it that far.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Hard to say, since I've barely watched either of them this week, but I'll go with Ferrer in 4.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I'm taking the ref in 4. I'm thinking he can blind David w/ that shirt. It should be good for a few games anyway, right?

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Berdy consolidates on the break, 3-0.

Berdych hitting well and controlling most of the points.