• Stan in straights

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stan in 5

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
There are a few though like Baghdatis and lately Sam Querrey is getting a bit of a bulge and in WTA you had Bartoli pre retirement and present Kvitova and Azarenka but it eventhough those ladies are carrying a bit they've all won slams so it can't be affecting them too much. Kvitova though is the most unfit of that bunch and frequently runs out of gas and needs to get in better shape.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Fiero425 said:
isabelle said:
Stan the Man thrilled me :very happy for this guy. he's a living proof that one can be a bon vivant and a gourmet and play some fantastic tennis. A lot of people criticized his pudgy body several times in the past but it didn't stop him from winning (like Nalby did)
Congats Stan, you're a champ

There are a few players out on the tour that have this problem; not really! The shirts they wear are ill-fitting and makes them look heavier than they real are! David Ferrer and Stan Wawrinka actually have slim waists, but the shirts just makes them look short and pudgy! They aren't really! If you watch them in slow-motion and the shirt rides up, you see they aren't heavy at all! This isn't the 70's and 80's where you can get away with that sort of thing! There's too much physicality involved in today's game to let your body go as in past eras! :nono

Also, a tv camera adds a bunch of pounds...and there are at least 10 cameras on them ;)

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
1972Murat said:
Fiero425 said:
isabelle said:
Stan the Man thrilled me :very happy for this guy. he's a living proof that one can be a bon vivant and a gourmet and play some fantastic tennis. A lot of people criticized his pudgy body several times in the past but it didn't stop him from winning (like Nalby did)
Congats Stan, you're a champ

There are a few players out on the tour that have this problem; not really! The shirts they wear are ill-fitting and makes them look heavier than they real are! David Ferrer and Stan Wawrinka actually have slim waists, but the shirts just makes them look short and pudgy! They aren't really! If you watch them in slow-motion and the shirt rides up, you see they aren't heavy at all! This isn't the 70's and 80's where you can get away with that sort of thing! There's too much physicality involved in today's game to let your body go as in past eras! :nono

Also, a tv camera adds a bunch of pounds...and there are at least 10 cameras on them ;)

I guess that means they look 100 pounds overweight? :lolz: :laydownlaughing :angel:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Stan is not 'pudgy.'
Stan-love-P1016492.jpg

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
He should be ashamed of himself with a stomach like that.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:
He should be ashamed of himself with a stomach like that.

It's hard to know if you're being ironic, as I know you have strict standards about body sculpting. Personally, if I had that 6-pack, I'd wear a midriff top even in the freezing temps we're getting tomorrow.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm being sarcastic of course, he's in great shape if that's a real photo. I mean supposedly none of the photos online of Nadal are :D

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:
I'm being sarcastic of course, he's in great shape if that's a real photo. I mean supposedly none of the photos online of Nadal are :D

I do have to say something to you about looking at photos and making assessments of (let's not even kid ourselves,) Nadal's physique. I know you got fooled by a photoshop job, because you were looking for it. But you also can't compare an athlete's body at work, with an athlete's body at rest. You seem to understand a lot about body work and should know that. As for photo shoots, an athlete will exercise the muscles to pump them up for a shoot, and then the lighting is designed to enhance definition. It's not all photoshop, because it doesn't have to be. But lighting, and the exertion on the muscles has to be taken into account. This is why I get amused and confused when you, and Broken, and plenty of others decide that they have authority on how Rafa's body has changed.

The photo I posted of Stan is in natural light, and in a normal setting. There is no reason anyone would have changed it. Likewise, there are plenty of photos of Nadal, even over the years, where you can see his body at work and at rest. It hasn't changed that much, beyond normal perimeters, since he was 17.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
Front242 said:

I do have to say something to you about looking at photos and making assessments of (let's not even kid ourselves,) Nadal's physique. I know you got fooled by a photoshop job, because you were looking for it. But you also can't compare an athlete's body at work, with an athlete's body at rest. You seem to understand a lot about body work and should know that. As for photo shoots, an athlete will exercise the muscles to pump them up for a shoot, and then the lighting is designed to enhance definition. It's not all photoshop, because it doesn't have to be. But lighting, and the exertion on the muscles has to be taken into account. This is why I get amused and confused when you, and Broken, and plenty of others decide that they have authority on how Rafa's body has changed.

The photo I posted of Stan is in natural light, and in a normal setting. There is no reason anyone would have changed it. Likewise, there are plenty of photos of Nadal, even over the years, where you can see his body at work and at rest. It hasn't changed that much, beyond normal perimeters, since he was 17.

No offense but forget the photos and just watch some of his older matches from 2004-2006 and you'll plain as day see he was in much better shape and much bigger and when he takes his top off after matches these days he's absolutely nothing like what he was back then.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:
Moxie629 said:
Front242 said:

No offense but forget the photos and just watch some of his older matches from 2004-2006 and you'll plain as day see he was in much better shape and much bigger and when he takes his top off after matches these days he's absolutely nothing like what he was back then.

No offense taken, but don't you think I've been watching him take his shirt off for 9 years? :laydownlaughing No, but in fairness, I've also seen you and many others across the same years telling me that his body has changed. I really haven't seen it. Slightly leaner, but not appreciably different. He's always been leaner than folks imagine, anyway, from what is written.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Broken is a huge Nadal fan as you know and he's already said Nadal was bigger before and likely lost size to help pressure on his knee. To say he was bigger before is an understatement.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Nadal was bigger/more ripped before. Maybe not to the extent mentioned above but it's pretty noticeable.

ftan

Masters Champion
Reactions
Just came across this, pretty fun read :)

http://tenngrand.com/2014/01/29/facebook-chat-the-tennis-world-reacts-to-stanislas-wawrinkas-australian-open-win-over-rafael-nadal/

ftan

Masters Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:
"Not time for the excusations, no?" :lolz:

:laydownlaughing:laydownlaughing:laydownlaughing:laydownlaughing:laydownlaughing:laydownlaughing

Berdych to Kevin Anderson "Brad Gilbert and Ivan Lendl will beat me before you do ":lolz::lolz::lolz:

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
ftan said:
Just came across this, pretty fun read :)

http://tenngrand.com/2014/01/29/facebook-chat-the-tennis-world-reacts-to-stanislas-wawrinkas-australian-open-win-over-rafael-nadal/

That was awesome.

There were so many subtle references too. Jim Courier having Xisca in his avatar was priceless.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Here is Peter Bodo's article on the final match.

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2014/01/was-shark/50440/#.UumjcmCPKM8

As he correctly points out, there is no guarantee that Nadal would have
won this match if he was fine. This is something that Nadal fans need to admit
despite the obviously horrible history of their H2H.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:
Broken is a huge Nadal fan as you know and he's already said Nadal was bigger before and likely lost size to help pressure on his knee. To say he was bigger before is an understatement.

I'm is also a huge fan of Nadal. However, I'm also a film professional, and I know a lot about the differences in what we see on video, and what is true in life. I've been following Nadal, and I know the controversy over how his body has changed. I'd say the changes are minor.

Broken_Shoelace said:
Nadal was bigger/more ripped before. Maybe not to the extent mentioned above but it's pretty noticeable.

We all agree that he took off a bit of weight to put less pressure on the knees. That it was more than a small amount, I won't concede. You guys don't know what you're looking at. Any number of journalists have always said he looks taller and leaner than they expected. And that was before. So now he's just a hair leaner. No taller, for sure. LOL. But he's always been leaner than video shows him.

I.Haychew

Major Winner
Reactions
Aphter his AO title, Wawrinka is now ophicially phat! Onto the Phrench Open phor fase two of the Calendar Year Grand Stan!