Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
1972Murat said:
the AntiPusher said:
huntingyou said:
Regarding he injury, it's silly to think Rafa being tight and nervous (which he was in the first set) had anything to do with this injury. He felt it first during warm up and that's how back problems creep up on you........sometimes just watching TV and turning to your side to grab those doritos.

Didnt you folks know something was amiss when Rafa tried that silly drop shot during his 2nd service game. It was just a very bad omen of what would come later. I told Cali that Stan's bh dtl would be a major factor but he was dismissive as usual.:huh:

Funny you mention that volley. At that point I told my wife that that is a shot you will never see Rafa execute that poorly against Roger...She said something mean about Roger. She is a Rafa fan. We are seeing a counselor...:snigger

Oh a mixed marriage, that's very modern of you. Murat! :snigger

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:
I. Haychew said:
^If that's the common way of thinking, the I can only shake my head. Wawrinka wins the biggest match of his life, becoming a first time major champion, and it's reduced to being about Federer's and Nadal's legacies. Sad, indeed.

Sadly it most definitely is. Great as it is that a non big 4 member won a slam there's history on the line between Federer and Nadal and I think it's fair to say Stan has left it a bit late at 28 to win 16 more slams.

This is true. It's not like Wawrinka has a huge fan base, so, after "Congratulations," on some comments about his play, there isn't much to say. However, the specter of Roger was all over that match. And yes, there was and is future tennis history in play, not just the one championship. Plus, as you can tell, we never get tired of debating Nadal and Federer. :snigger: :cool:

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
Wow what a final! Rafa is so good in those mind games that I can see him writing winning ugly part II. Kudos to Stanimal for ignoring those and finishing the final in the fourth.

But did you see the ceremony? When Steve Healey who is the president of Tennis Australia said that Nadal is a great role model, Wawrinka rolled his eyes and was about to burst into laughter. Priceless!

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
Like I say, there's nothing wrong with players crying, but I take exception to Fiero's anti-Ralph assertion that Rafa is ever disrespectful to opponents when he wins, especially when we have evidence that his own hero benefited from Rafa's generous gestures after beating him at slams.

You might hate the guy, but there's no need to to be dishonest about him...

Both Nadal and Sampras behaved like idiots during the ceremony. Nadal made it his own thing, while Sampras played along and behaved like he is attending someone's funeral and not happy occasion like a slam final.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Mastoor said:
Wow what a final! Rafa is so good in those mind games that I can see him writing winning ugly part II. Kudos to Stanimal for ignoring those and finishing the final in the fourth.

But did you see the ceremony? When Steve Healey who is the president of Tennis Australia said that Nadal is a great role model, Wawrinka rolled his eyes and was about to burst into laughter. Priceless!

I've never seen anyone make up bull$hit as much as you do on these boards.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I found this interesting enough as an analysis:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2014/01/5/Australian-Open-Brain-Game-Nadal-Wawrinka.aspx

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
1972Murat said:
If Stan can hit the DTL backhand well enough , he might get a set. Rafa's form is up again (he needs a Federer match to get back in top form) , so I am not expecting any surprises. I will say Rafa in 4.

If Stan can hit the DTL backhand well enough

I am glad that I am not the only person to make this assumption. Cali said I was insane, go figure

Here is from the ATP tour website..

Secondary - Backhand Down-The-Line
This was a masterful tactic from Wawrinka that was a crushing blow to Nadal every time it landed. Wawrinka hit the down-the-line backhand winner for the first time at 1-1, 40/15 off a low backhand slice down the line from Nadal. It won Wawrinka the game with a huge exclamation point. He hit it like a rocket as a passing shot in the following game. Nadal could not handle it, leading to the first break of serve of the match. The next time The Swiss used it was with Nadal serving at 1-4, 30/15. Wawrinka crushed three consecutive backhands cross court then pulled the trigger down the line for a spectacular winner. Just the threat of having such a huge weapon without always using it creates doubt and uncertainty in Nadal’s baseline movement and shot selection.

And Cali said earlier in this thread.. that I was Insane.. Go Figure

Tennis Miller

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Hey, I want in on this self-congratulations too!.

In "Fedal Volume 33", I wrote:

"Unless Roger develops a Wawrinka-like DTL backhand overnight, your Groundhog Day scenario is the most likely."

And in Nadal v Dimitrov before that, I wrote:

"I actually think Rafa would have a tougher time with Stan than Fed, given Stan's greater strength on those high backhands, how well he's playing, and his apparent fitness level. This assumes he beats the Berd."

YAAAAY me.

Cheers

TM

imjimmy

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Congratulations to Stan the man. Can't think of anyone else who could deserve a slam more. He dismissed the king of AO (Novak Djokovic), so it's fitting that he won the slam.

Also what's up with Nadal and Australian Open? Never seen anyone have so much of bad luck at one place. Already in his career, he's not even played twice here. Further in 2 consecutive years, once retired against Murray, the next hobbled against Ferrer. This year, when he is so close, gets injured right at the final with a freak back injury which has never happened to him before.

With his resolve and game, I don't think either Swiss guy would have been enough to stop Nadal from winning. It would have taken more like a Swiss army. It was a huge occasion for Rafa. Possibly one of the biggest matches of his career (hence his nervousness in the beginning).

He missed an opportunity to be the only open era player with a double career slam. (Will he ever get to the final in Oz again and not have to contend with Djokovic?). Not just that, but the overall slam count now seems even more distant. While Nadal was gracious in defeat and his conduct was exemplary, there is no doubt that this could be a crushing blow to his confidence and is a low moment in his career. But as we've learned in the past, if anyone can return from something like this, it's Rafael Nadal. The rest of the year will be very interesting.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Just goes to show also the unfortunate reality getting older brings to sport. Fed had back problems as early as 2003 but none that plagued him as much as 2013. He had one of his only MTOs in his whole career at Wimbledon 2012 also against Malisse (for spasms, apparently what Nadal had in this year's final) and still managed to win not only the match but the tournament. These guys are tough but sometimes it gets too much and you can't play on or need surgery or time off.

Here's hoping Murray gets back to full strength and match tough asap, Nadal heals up asap and the rest of the field not only enter the biggest tournaments of remainder of the year healthy, but manage to play through them sustaining perfect health throughout.

imjimmy

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Kieran said:
Good post, Jimmy, totally agree...

Thanks Kieran. Good to see you around here. I was hoping your hibernation during the slam time would help Rafa win AO. Oh well. Always next time..

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
He always hibernates during slams so don't count on that :D Mind you, your guy has a much better shot next slam than any of the others with no help from hibernation needed.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Tennis Miller said:
Hey, I want in on this self-congratulations too!.

In "Fedal Volume 33", I wrote:

"Unless Roger develops a Wawrinka-like DTL backhand overnight, your Groundhog Day scenario is the most likely."

And in Nadal v Dimitrov before that, I wrote:

"I actually think Rafa would have a tougher time with Stan than Fed, given Stan's greater strength on those high backhands, how well he's playing, and his apparent fitness level. This assumes he beats the Berd."

YAAAAY me.

Cheers

TM

Points to you for seeing it, Tennis Miller. :)

Mog

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
imjimmy said:
o
Congratulations to Stan the man. Can't think of anyone else who could deserve a slam more. He dismissed the king of AO (Novak Djokovic), so it's fitting that he won the slam.

He missed an opportunity to be the only open era player with a double career slam. (Will he ever get to the final in Oz again and not have to contend with Djokovic?). Not just that, but the overall slam count now seems even more distant. While Nadal was gracious in defeat and his conduct was exemplary, there is no doubt that this could be a crushing blow to his confidence and is a low moment in his career. But as we've learned in the past, if anyone can return from something like this, it's Rafael Nadal. The rest of the year will be very interesting.

Good post Jimmy.
Congrats to Stan the man.

It is unfortunate that Rafa got injured. I agree with you that this must be a very big disappointment for him. Most thought he will walk through the final.
But Stan deserves the championship. He outplayed Rafa in a set and more. Well deserved win.
The last man standing is the undisputed champion.

For Rafa as you said, many missed opportunities.
Getting to Sampras 14 GS records.
Getting another career slam.
Getting to or passing #17 GS Roger's record seems much farther now. He perhaps can still do it, who knows, but every one year more in age makes a difference. When can he get a chance when he doesn't have to play the top 3-4(mainly Nole)in the final to add a GS.
Also he has to remain injury free.

I give him credit for completing the match instead of retiring.
When he got the third set, the match was not over and I am sure he must have thought to win in five.
When you play Rafa the match is not over until the last point, that much competitive he is.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
No offense but these days at slam level Rafa would have a much harder time against many people over Fed, though I'm sure Fed will win a few more best of 3 before they're done.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
the AntiPusher said:
1972Murat said:
If Stan can hit the DTL backhand well enough , he might get a set. Rafa's form is up again (he needs a Federer match to get back in top form) , so I am not expecting any surprises. I will say Rafa in 4.

If Stan can hit the DTL backhand well enough

I am glad that I am not the only person to make this assumption. Cali said I was insane, go figure

Here is from the ATP tour website..

Secondary - Backhand Down-The-Line
This was a masterful tactic from Wawrinka that was a crushing blow to Nadal every time it landed. Wawrinka hit the down-the-line backhand winner for the first time at 1-1, 40/15 off a low backhand slice down the line from Nadal. It won Wawrinka the game with a huge exclamation point. He hit it like a rocket as a passing shot in the following game. Nadal could not handle it, leading to the first break of serve of the match. The next time The Swiss used it was with Nadal serving at 1-4, 30/15. Wawrinka crushed three consecutive backhands cross court then pulled the trigger down the line for a spectacular winner. Just the threat of having such a huge weapon without always using it creates doubt and uncertainty in Nadal’s baseline movement and shot selection.

And Cali said earlier in this thread.. that I was Insane.. Go Figure

Hey AP... I always used to look at Federer's backhand DTL against Nadal as one of the markers on how competitive the match would be. If he wasn't afraid to go after it and was executing early, I generally thought it was a big factor. Nothing insane about it.

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
Mastoor said:
Kieran said:
Like I say, there's nothing wrong with players crying, but I take exception to Fiero's anti-Ralph assertion that Rafa is ever disrespectful to opponents when he wins, especially when we have evidence that his own hero benefited from Rafa's generous gestures after beating him at slams.

You might hate the guy, but there's no need to to be dishonest about him...

Both Nadal and Sampras behaved like idiots during the ceremony. Nadal made it his own thing, while Sampras played along and behaved like he is attending someone's funeral and not happy occasion like a slam final.

It is easy to toss around such ludicrous assertions without backing them up. He merely informed the crowd about his injury, and, in the process, got fairly stirring about it. It is hard to think and speak straight after playing such an emotionally draining match, especially when a lot of history was on the line.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Stan the Man thrilled me :very happy for this guy. he's a living proof that one can be a bon vivant and a gourmet and play some fantastic tennis. A lot of people criticized his pudgy body several times in the past but it didn't stop him from winning (like Nalby did)
Congats Stan, you're a champ

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
isabelle said:
Stan the Man thrilled me :very happy for this guy. he's a living proof that one can be a bon vivant and a gourmet and play some fantastic tennis. A lot of people criticized his pudgy body several times in the past but it didn't stop him from winning (like Nalby did)
Congats Stan, you're a champ

There are a few players out on the tour that have this problem; not really! The shirts they wear are ill-fitting and makes them look heavier than they real are! David Ferrer and Stan Wawrinka actually have slim waists, but the shirts just makes them look short and pudgy! They aren't really! If you watch them in slow-motion and the shirt rides up, you see they aren't heavy at all! This isn't the 70's and 80's where you can get away with that sort of thing! There's too much physicality involved in today's game to let your body go as in past eras! :nono