Who wins?

• Total voters

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
RE: WIMBLEDON FINAL

As I have mentioned before, this is not my favorite match-up. They are too similar in most things they do. So it will come down to execution on the day and the will to win if it goes the distance. It is a bit more interesting this time since it is Wimby and Murray is involved. If I had to break it down:

Serve: First serves about even, clear edge to Nole for the second serve. Murray's second serve and how Nole handles it might be the determining factor in many games.

Forehand: Even though Murray has improved there, slight edge to Nole.

Backhand: Two of the best in the game. They can hit cross court forever. Whoever has the better day changing direction DTL has the advantage.

Net: Both roughly the same and both need to improve

Return: Two of the best returners in the game.

Backhand Slice: This is an important shot and it has bothered both players in the past from time to time. I like Murray's slice better. It has more bite.

Intangibles: Mental side of things, Nole is very strong, but Murray has home court advantage, and it is a substantial advantage in that Nole does not like when people are against him. But then again he is known to step it up in those situations and play inspired tennis , the whole " Me against the world" thing...

I am going with Murray in 4.

Postpre

Club Member
Reactions

Murray in 4. I expect him to play his best grass court match since the Olympic Final. He now knows how to play big matches well, and since it's grass, I expect him to outfox Djokovic.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think Murray will win, and I don't think it'll be in straights. I would hope for 4, so that my nerves, and my friend Iona's, won't be stretched to the limit, but I can't be sure of that. I would also like to think that a marathon match would compromise Djokovic, but you can't be sure of that, either, fit-b@stard that he is. (LOL.) But I really do hope that Andy finally brings the trophy home. That would be amazing!

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Hoping for Nole in 4 but thinking it will be Murray in 4 or 5

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
77 years... they can wait another decade. :) I really like how well Nole responded to the marathon semifinal against Murray in Oz. He went on to do quite well in another marathon match against Rafa in the final.

Both guys are going to be nervous for sure. It was really good that Nole won the last slam final they played. Not sure who's going to win this one, but would be happy to see the Serb win in a quick three... for my nerves.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I am going for Murray in 4 sets or 5
May I never hear Fred Perry's name again after Murray holds up the Wimbledon Trophy.
For the love of Tennis Murray....Just Do It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I hope Murray but I feel that the djoker has a bit of a mental edge over Andy. Again, just like I mentioned prior to Djoker vs Del potro.. Pain.. Murray is going to have to endure the pain, he can cancel any romantic plans that he may have with his lady that evening because Djoker is going to destroy Andy's legs. If Andy is ready to physically die on centre court, he has a chance if not the British will be waiting for another year for their "own" champion. Andy cannot counter punch with this Djoker for 5 sets IMO because Djoker's game is too lethal. Djoker has to be the aggressor and dictate his style of play which he typically does. I think both players' will get neutralized by each others service returns but I think the intangibles will be the Djoker's mental edge because he is chasing greatness where Andy is trying to make "history".

Andrew William

Masters Champion
Reactions
Rehashing some of my discussion with Nehmeth, I think this bout will boil down to two major factors: Serving & Aggression.

Serving has a lot to do with every tennis match as we all know. It is paramount on grass where even great returner's like Novak and Murray will have trouble getting to well placed service trajectories skidding on grass. The main area of interest from Andy's viewpoint will be 1st Serve percentage. This directly influences the other area of interest -- Murray's 2nd Serve vs Djokovic's deadly return game. This will have huge repercussions on the outcome of this battle.

For these two extraordinary defenders, when survival instincts kick in, they rely sometimes to a fault on their ability to retrieve. It will be critical for both players to get out of their comfort zones and take the ball on early and come forward - even if it entails some risk, the reward will be well worth it.

My heart says Murray in 5. My head says Djokovic in 5. Either way it should be a great match!

Haelfix

Pro Tour Player
Reactions

Murray has the better first serve and he has a much better net game than Novak. However Novaks forehand and movement are both superior.

Murray does have a better slice though, which is important and the only thing preventing a Novak route.

I do think Murray will have to be aggressive if he wants a chance to win. On grass, the aggressor in a match of equals typically wins.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Djokovic, if the crowd doesn't get involved. His resistance against del Potro was immense and Andy will be under huge pressure. I think if the crowd is Olympics-loud, and it won't be given that its not open ticket, Djoker will hate being cast as the villain. He's not so ruthless as Fedal.

Both are playing great stuff now, but to me Djoker is the greater player. It'll take a great performance and mental effort from Andy to take this one. Nole in four...

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The advantage of Murray winning is that the Brits will FINALLY stop whining. But that's about the only advantage.

Novak is a much better tennis player, not only in general but certainly this tournament. Murray has not faced a single player from the top 20 (except Dr. Youzny at 20) and yet he was struggling to make the finals. He looked good the first week but turned into an UE machine the second week. Novak dismantled two top 10 players and Haas. He hit 80 winners against JMDP for instance. His movement and power are superior to that of Murray.

My only concern is Novak's backhand and his breakpoint conversion rate. That has been below par this tourney for his standards.

Novak in 4 sets.

H2H 11- 7 for No1e: http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=D643&oId=MC10

tented

Administrator
Reactions
AndrewWilliam said:
Serving has a lot to do with every tennis match as we all know. It is paramount on grass where even great returner's like Novak and Murray will have trouble getting to well placed service trajectories skidding on grass. The main area of interest from Andy's viewpoint will be 1st Serve percentage. This directly influences the other area of interest -- Murray's 2nd Serve vs Djokovic's deadly return game. This will have huge repercussions on the outcome of this battle.

I think this will be the deciding element. If Andy has to hit a lot of second serves, he's in huge trouble. It could cost him the match, because Novak will break Murray's serve. There would be no tiebreaks, just Novak serving out sets, or breaking Murray to win sets. However, if Murray's first serve percentage is high, I think he'll win. Probably in 5.

Mog

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
tented said:
AndrewWilliam said:

I think this will be the deciding element. If Andy has to hit a lot of second serves, he's in huge trouble. It could cost him the match, because Novak will break Murray's serve. There would be no tiebreaks, just Novak serving out sets, or breaking Murray to win sets. However, if Murray's first serve percentage is high, I think he'll win. Probably in 5.

Good points by Andy and tented.
I think it is not easy to call this one.
I have Murray in five .

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The finals match-up I picked before the tournament. Like their previous matches, this match will come down on who plays the key points well. Let's see if Murray can actually break Djokovic. Because the last match they played Murray didn't break Djokovic at all during the match. Either way, it will be an entertaining match.

My pick: Andy Murray in four or five sets to win his second slam and break the 77 year old record of the last Brit to win Wimbledon.

This match guarantees one of the Big Four will win a major. It will be 33 of the last 34 majors that a member of the Big Four wins a major since 2005 French Open. The only player to win a slam outside of the Big Four in that span is Juan Martin Del Potro (US Open 2009). Pretty amazing stat!

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I stand by my prediction from last week that Murray wins, likely in five sets but perhaps four. I think Novak may well come down a little after the epic battle with Delpo whilst Andy is going to be pumped up from the get-go.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think Novak's usually higher 1st serve percentage gives him an end there, and while is better at the net, his approach game (really both guys) are not good enough to regularly handle the other players passing shots, except in cases when they get a routine volley imo.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Denisovich said:
The advantage of Murray winning is that the Brits will FINALLY stop whining. But that's about the only advantage.

Novak is a much better tennis player, not only in general but certainly this tournament. Murray has not faced a single player from the top 20 (except Dr. Youzny at 20) and yet he was struggling to make the finals. He looked good the first week but turned into an UE machine the second week. Novak dismantled two top 10 players and Haas. He hit 80 winners against JMDP for instance. His movement and power are superior to that of Murray.

My only concern is Novak's backhand and his breakpoint conversion rate. That has been below par this tourney for his standards.

Novak in 4 sets.

H2H 11- 7 for No1e: http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=D643&oId=MC10

Novak dismantled Del Po? Yesterday was a great match but Novak made a lot of errors and at big moments too. I thought it was a step down from how he had played up until that point. Murray obviously had a bad match vs. Verdasco and didn't get going until 4-1 down in the 3rd vs. Jerzy. The first week the two were equally as deadly. Form against the lesser players coming in won't decide this one. They are both up against much better players than they've faced in the previous rounds.

I think the match is usually close to even from the baseline so the winner might be decided by who wins the most cheap points on serve. I think that was the difference at the Olympics last year and that's the reason I think Murray overall is a really tough matchup for Nole on grass. That said, Nole has been serving phenomenally this tournament so it might not be an edge for Murray tomorrow. Also, like every other close match it will likely come down to the big points. The only other factors are if Nole is compromised by the long match vs. Del Po (doubtful) and if Nole lets the crowd affect him for large parts of the match (very possible).

huntingyou

Masters Champion
Reactions
Denisovich said:

Novak in 4 sets.

Silly; Novak is NOT a much better tennis player than Andy and certainly what separates them in this surface it's a matter of milliliters to be precise.

So he dismantle Delpo? I thought he was fortunate not to lose in 4 given his inability to get any traction on Delpo's service game.

I also disagree with the movement advantage you give Novak; his only advantage and the one count the most it's his believe in himself and ability to raise his level during the big points; tennis wise.......the forehand and that's it. I pick him to win but I wouldn't feel too confident......Andy it's a great player and all great players can take matters into their own hands.