2013 Wimbledon SF: Djokovic vs. Delpo

Who ya got?

• Total voters

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Nole leads the H2H 8-3

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=D643&oId=D683

They've split the two HC meetings this year. Juan won the only grass meeting in the bronze medal match at last year's Olympic games.

Who ya got?

vs.
201307030946351947320-p5.jpg

Click here for the Day 11 Order of Play

(All matches, on all courts, are listed in order to give you a feel for when everything will begin and end.)

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I am saying Novak in 4, but if delpo plays like he did today, it could either way.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Nole by walkover. I would be surprised if that knee doesn't swell up and makes play impossible. Otherwise Nole in 3.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Nole seems to be playing scary good tennis right now. DP is mentally tougher than Berd but I'm not sure his game is better period, and I definitely don't think it is on grass. I question how bad DP's knee is as he continues to march on without any trouble so far even against someone who has owned him recently in Ferrer. I'd assume he'll be ready to go but Djokovic wins in 4 at most.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
This W is opening up nicely for Djoker. I'm not going to be surprised if this match doesn't even take place, but if it does, my head says Djoker. If del Potro is playing 100%, I think he has a shot...

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Delpo just said the knee is fine talking to cahill on espn.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Kiu said:
The winner here prolly takes all marbles, right?

The winner here probably loses to Murray in the final (if he makes it). Though I am inching closer and closer to making Djoker-Murray a tossup in the final. Before the tournament I figured Murray would definitely win the final if he got there.

If it is DP, Murray will win that.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think Djokovic is looking to win this tournament. I think he wants to prove to the ATP tour he is still the man to beat and isn't the shaky player he has looked like this past few months.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
I think Djokovic is looking to win this tournament. I think he wants to prove to the ATP tour he is still the man to beat and isn't the shaky player he has looked like this past few months.

I agree that Nole seems to be here to make a statement. His play from April - September last year was not too good. This year he hasn't done anything since Madrid and does not want to fall into the same type of funk.

That said, his chances go from like 40-50% to 80-90% if Murray falls today.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
See I disagree, I give the slight edge to Djokovic no matter who is in the final. Djokovic has played far better than anyone this tournament with Del Po coming in at second in terms of form.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
See I disagree, I give the slight edge to Djokovic no matter who is in the final. Djokovic has played far better than anyone this tournament with Del Po coming in at second in terms of form.

Before today Murray was playing just as well as Nole. They'd both been playing incredible tennis. Del Po has played pretty well and has not had a scare. His biggest concern has been slight injuries seemingly every match.

But regardless of form Murray is a bad matchup for Nole on grass and we know Novak responds poorly to crowds rooting heavily for his opponent. Nole is a better player than Murray and would figure to win the tight matches more often than not but I would still pick Murray in that matchup on grass in front of the home crowd. I do hope Nole wins the tournament though.

huntingyou

Masters Champion
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Sundaymorningguy said:

Before today Murray was playing just as well as Nole. They'd both been playing incredible tennis. Del Po has played pretty well and has not had a scare. His biggest concern has been slight injuries seemingly every match.

But regardless of form Murray is a bad matchup for Nole on grass and we know Novak responds poorly to crowds rooting heavily for his opponent. Nole is a better player than Murray and would figure to win the tight matches more often than not but I would still pick Murray in that matchup on grass in front of the home crowd. I do hope Nole wins the tournament though.

You place too much stock on math-ups and often math-ups are rather temporary or circumstantial. Great champions's fate are not determined on math-ups alone.

Expected from a Fed fan, I mean the word match-up takes biblical proportions here.

A fair assessment on the inevitable final would be "regardless of Murray being more comfortable on grass, the form points to a Novak victory in straight fashion."

Novak has played tougher opponents and has looked just amazing, in the other hand Murray has face who?

Don't get me wrong, I'm rooting for Andy and it would be nice to see him reach greater status career wise in his own home turf. The guy is just a brilliant tennis player and very easy to root for.

But Novak, been there done that......the guy it's on a mission.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Match-ups don't win slams.

I think Hunting is right about Nole's achilles heel - the desire to be liked. If the Wimbledon crowd root against him, he may find it difficult. He can be a cussed son of a, but not at Fedal levels of resistance yet. But is a much greater player than Murray and as Murray is tightening, his old passivity is returning, just like it did in Oz.

There's two players who can beat Djoker here: himself and del Potro, and I fear the big chap's not going to be fully up to it on Friday...

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
nehmeth said:
I'm picking Djokovic in three.

He plays yet another opponent who has a win on grass over him, like Berdych today and Haas before him

The crowd will be cheering for DP as they were for Berdych today and Haas before him. They want their boy to have a smooth ride to the championship. :)

I agree Nole wins in three sets. I think Delpo is not going to be able to move well enough with the injury.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
huntingyou said:
DarthFed said:
Sundaymorningguy said:

You place too much stock on math-ups and often math-ups are rather temporary or circumstantial. Great champions's fate are not determined on math-ups alone.

Expected from a Fed fan, I mean the word match-up takes biblical proportions here.

A fair assessment on the inevitable final would be "regardless of Murray being more comfortable on grass, the form points to a Novak victory in straight fashion."

Novak has played tougher opponents and has looked just amazing, in the other hand Murray has face who?

Don't get me wrong, I'm rooting for Andy and it would be nice to see him reach greater status career wise in his own home turf. The guy is just a brilliant tennis player and very easy to root for.

But Novak, been there done that......the guy it's on a mission.

We will likely see on Sunday my friend. You are reading too much into my assessment of matchups and making it a Federer-Nadal thing when those 2 chaps got kicked out by some cocoa puffs a looong time ago.

When there is not much between Murray and Novak at the baseline it is the big serve that might own the day on grass. It did last year at the Olympics. The kicker is Nole is serving so well on top of everything else that he might win more free points on serve than Murray and if that's the case Nole will win. Form definitely points to Novak after today but you are kidding yourself if you think that means much coming into Sunday. Nole and Murray will enter Sunday not having played anyone nearly as good as themselves. But first things first let's see if there are more surprises ahead.

huntingyou

Masters Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:

I think Hunting is right about Nole's achilles heel - the desire to be liked. If the Wimbledon crowd root against him, he may find it difficult. He can be a cussed son of a, but not at Fedal levels of resistance yet. But is a much greater player than Murray and as Murray is tightening, his old passivity is returning, just like it did in Oz.

There's two players who can beat Djoker here: himself and del Potro, and I fear the big chap's not going to be fully up to it on Friday...

ha you remember that thread? :snigger

The guy with a chip on his shoulder can definitely turn brittle if the crowd goes insane....but for that happen, Murray has to deliver the inspiration. Tough ask. To be honest, Novak's high level has caught me by surprise in this tournament.

DarthFed said:
We will likely see on Sunday my friend. You are reading too much into my assessment of matchups and making it a Federer-Nadal thing when those 2 chaps got kicked out by some cocoa puffs a looong time ago.

When there is not much between Murray and Novak at the baseline it is the big serve that might own the day on grass. It did last year at the Olympics. The kicker is Nole is serving so well on top of everything else that he might win more free points on serve than Murray and if that's the case Nole will win. Form definitely points to Novak after today but you are kidding yourself if you think that means much coming into Sunday. Nole and Murray will enter Sunday not having played anyone nearly as good as themselves. But first things first let's see if there are more surprises ahead.

Honestly, it's not a fedal thing but an overall observation in which some fans place incredible amount of weight on match-ups.......fed fans are the worst offenders in this matter but it's understandable.

In the case of Novak/Murray........you are seeing 1A and 1B; they are a mirror to each other despite the obvious uniqueness to each....especially Murray. One has a greater tool kit while the other it's a true to the core ALPHA male.

Going back to form, you said it best......Novak's serve is clicking and the ROS is quite frankly ridiculous. Do the math!

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
huntingyou said:
Kieran said:

ha you remember that thread? :snigger

The guy with a chip on his shoulder can definitely turn brittle if the crowd goes insane....but for that happen, Murray has to deliver the inspiration. Tough ask. To be honest, Novak's high level has caught me by surprise in this tournament.

DarthFed said:

Honestly, it's not a fedal thing but an overall observation in which some fans place incredible amount of weight on match-ups.......fed fans are the worst offenders in this matter but it's understandable.

In the case of Novak/Murray........you are seeing 1A and 1B; they are a mirror to each other despite the obvious uniqueness to each....especially Murray. One has a greater tool kit while the other it's a true to the core ALPHA male.

Going back to form, you said it best......Novak's serve is clicking and the ROS is quite frankly ridiculous. Do the math!

Saying matchups don't exist would be similar to me saying the alpha male/mental toughness, and home crowd is barely an issue. It all adds up and they are both big factors. Reverse the tables with Murray playing a huge match in front of Nole's home crowd on Nole's best surface and I wouldn't give him much of a prayer. Nole has the mental toughness and is the overall better player. But on grass it gets a lot more dicey and it doesn't hurt that he also does have a win in the USO final over Djokovic. I do think you are placing too much stock on form. Murray and the crowd is a whole different animal from Haas, Berd and DP. You only need to look at last year for an example. Federer looked pretty piss poor last year until a good QF vs. Youzhny who he is 15-0 against. Meanwhile Djokovic was destroying everyone in his path until the semis and we all know what happened there.

Anyways, kind of interesting that you have Djokovic winning that final and you hope you're wrong and I have the opposite.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think Murray is bad match-up for Djokovic anywhere but Clay. Murray has the quickness and tools to beat Djokovic on any given night. I think the only difference between them is their killer mentality. When Murray is passive, then Djokovic will win match most of the time. But, when they are both aggressive, then it could go either way.

Also, if they do meet up in the Finals, then you can't use their form too much to indicate who will win the match. They played each other a lot of times that they know it would come down to who wins the key points.

Either way, it will be a close match. I picked Murray over Djokovic before the tournament, so I will stick to that pick.