• Poll closed .

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
This is last year's group w/ Stosur and Bartoli as alternates:
gty-154520338-4_3_rx812_c1080x810.jpg

This year's group w/ Caro and Sloane as alternates:
BXCRI3PCUAE3bh4.jpg:large
The biggest difference this year is the withdrawal of Maria, retirement of Bartoli and fall from grace of Stosur.

Question: I wonder who we will see a year from now in the top 8? Can Halep make the climb? What will Sloane do, etc.?

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The alternates are coming in Wozniacki airline - or at least a private jet to Istanbul - great:clap

woz_991250m.jpg

And yes Sloane HAS a great smile:cool:

Caroline Wozniacki ✔ @CaroWozniacki

On route to Istanbul with @sloanetweets
9:19 AM - 21 Oct 2013

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
hoergren said:
The alternates are coming in Wozniacki airline - or at least a private jet to Istanbul - great:clap

woz_991250m.jpg

And yes Sloane HAS a great smile:cool:

Caroline Wozniacki ✔ @CaroWozniacki

On route to Istanbul with @sloanetweets
9:19 AM - 21 Oct 2013
these two are managed by the same company...:rolleyes:..the same girls that dissed Serena within a two month period...just for publicity.
just a pathetic bunch...:rolleyes:

ozza

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
kskate2 said:
Question: I wonder who we will see a year from now in the top 8? Can Halep make the climb? What will Sloane do, etc.?

Halep definitely imo. In rankings since Rome she is ranked #5.

I don't see wholesale changes though. There was only 1 change in this years lineup. I think again next year we will only see 1-2 changes.

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Oh Tossip you're such a possitive guy :nono And seriously I don't know what you mean especially when I know that Caroline is one of Serenas friends. Think positive man ;)

RJD11

Major Winner
Reactions
Does the final draw mean

" there will be no Russian woman in the singles field for the

first time since 1997."

ozza

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
RJD11 said:
Does the final draw mean

" there will be no Russian woman in the singles field for the

first time since 1997."

Yes.

RJD11

Major Winner
Reactions
SI assessment by Courtney Nguyen

Red Group: Serena Williams, Petra Kvitova, Agnieszka Radwanska and Angelique Kerber.
White Group: Victoria Azarenka, Li Na, Sara Errani and Jelena Jankovic.

Serena’s Red Group is the tougher of the two considering how well Kvitova, Radwanska and Kerber are playing. The most tantalizing match is Williams vs. Kvitova. In February, Williams beat Kvitova 3-6, 6-3, 7-5 in a high-quality match in Doha to reclaim the No. 1 ranking. Kvitova is 0-4 against Wiliams, but their last three matches have turned on a handful of points. Radwanska will try to play the spoiler. She’s a combined 1-11 against the powerful Williams and Kvitova, with her lone win coming against an ill Kvitova here last year.

In the White Group, Azarenka is coming off a disappointing Asian swing, while Li and Jankovic enjoyed a confidence-boosting fall. Azarenka does have winning records over the three women in her group. She took some time off to recharge after losing early at the China Open, spending some time in Switzerland and Australia to visit her boyfriend, Redfoo, who is Down Under judging The X Factor. Look for Azarenka and Li to come out of this group, though a relaxed and motivated Jankovic is more than capable of spoiling the party.

Group play begins on Tuesday.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
RJD11 said:
SI assessment by Courtney Nguyen

Red Group: Serena Williams, Petra Kvitova, Agnieszka Radwanska and Angelique Kerber.
White Group: Victoria Azarenka, Li Na, Sara Errani and Jelena Jankovic.

Serena’s Red Group is the tougher of the two considering how well Kvitova, Radwanska and Kerber are playing. The most tantalizing match is Williams vs. Kvitova. In February, Williams beat Kvitova 3-6, 6-3, 7-5 in a high-quality match in Doha to reclaim the No. 1 ranking. Kvitova is 0-4 against Wiliams, but their last three matches have turned on a handful of points. Radwanska will try to play the spoiler. She’s a combined 1-11 against the powerful Williams and Kvitova, with her lone win coming against an ill Kvitova here last year.

In the White Group, Azarenka is coming off a disappointing Asian swing, while Li and Jankovic enjoyed a confidence-boosting fall. Azarenka does have winning records over the three women in her group. She took some time off to recharge after losing early at the China Open, spending some time in Switzerland and Australia to visit her boyfriend, Redfoo, who is Down Under judging The X Factor. Look for Azarenka and Li to come out of this group, though a relaxed and motivated Jankovic is more than capable of spoiling the party.

Group play begins on Tuesday.
Nguyen is kinda gossipy..:puzzled..her writing leaves a lot to be desired..:snigger

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
hoergren said:
Oh Tossip you're such a possitive guy :nono And seriously I don't know what you mean especially when I know that Caroline is one of Serenas friends. Think positive man ;)
..you have forgotten how she mocked Serena in Brazil....then Sloane did some dissing a few weeks later.I can forgive Caro but Sloane committed the ultimate betrayal and will never support her...I am sure a lot of Venus and Serena fans detest her..

HawkEye

Futures Player
Reactions
kskate2 said:
HawkEye said:
kskate2 said:
Petra and Li are too inconsistent for the RR format.

I don't see any logic in this. RR format is a bit softer for "inconsistent" players.

Here comes the logic: I believe Petra and Li do better in single elimination because they are so streaky. It's entirely possible they could catch fire for a set and a half or even for a whole match, but back-to-back matches against the top ranked players. :nono Since they won't be playing some lower ranked players or even qualifiers in the first 2 rounds. They could find themselves 0-2 by Fri and be out of the running for the SF. Now do you get it?

I see, so it's not a matter of consistency but the ability to play at a high level at the beginning of the tournamet. OK it makes sense.

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
..you have forgotten how she mocked Serena in Brazil....then Sloane did some dissing a few weeks later.I can forgive Caro but Sloane committed the ultimate betrayal and will never support her...I am sure a lot of Venus and Serena fans detest her..
[/quote]

Fair enough Caro went too far and I think she has apologized for this prank and also been forgiven. I'm not so familiar with Sloane's behaviour but she's young so must be able to learn - at least I hope that for her own sake.

Another thing are you all ready for an offseason thread this year?:cool:

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
tossip said:
hoergren said:

I do.

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
special700 said:
tossip said:
hoergren said:

I know I do.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I don't detest Sloane. She has every right to say what she wants, and she has to deal with the consequences of that which she has. If Serena can move on, I am not sure why others can't move on from it.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Congrads to the champion with 78% of the vote. :clap
9089263.jpg