Maria Sharapova withdraws from Year End Championships

ozza

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
... Additionally, Maria Sharapova - who had already qualified - announced she has to withdraw due to a right shoulder injury, which has limited her action in the second half of the season to only one match.

"I am very disappointed that I will not be able to play in the TEB BNP Paribas WTA Championships this year," Sharapova said. "The fans in Istanbul have welcomed us each year with such intense passion and warmth, I will sincerely miss the energy and excitement they brought to the year-end tournament. I want to thank Istanbul for being a tremendous host and hope to play in Turkey sometime in the future."

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/article/3484087/title/kvitova-errani-jankovic-qualify

honey1269

Club Member
Reactions
ozza said:
... Additionally, Maria Sharapova - who had already qualified - announced she has to withdraw due to a right shoulder injury, which has limited her action in the second half of the season to only one match.

"I am very disappointed that I will not be able to play in the TEB BNP Paribas WTA Championships this year," Sharapova said. "The fans in Istanbul have welcomed us each year with such intense passion and warmth, I will sincerely miss the energy and excitement they brought to the year-end tournament. I want to thank Istanbul for being a tremendous host and hope to play in Turkey sometime in the future."

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/article/3484087/title/kvitova-errani-jankovic-qualify

very unfortunate get well soon maria you are missed

my sherona

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
great news for serena and the qualifiers.once again Maria give them the rare chance to shine.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Exactly right Sherona. The world's #1 needs all the help she can get bashing the rest of the tour and collecting millions more in prize money.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I wasnt surprised that Maria withdrew from the YEC
I think she has made the right decision
I look forward to watching Maria in 2014

RJD11

Major Winner
Reactions
my sherona said:
great news for serena and the qualifiers.once again Maria give them the rare chance to shine.

Right Sherona the Empress Maria is gathering herself for

a magical run in 2014

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The disappointing news in all of this is that it's the shoulder again. Isn't that what sidelined her for a long while a couple of years back?

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
The shoulder injury was more than FIVE years ago. It seems recent because commentators talk about it during every one of her matches.

ozza

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
The disappointing news in all of this is that it's the shoulder again. Isn't that what sidelined her for a long while a couple of years back?

Allegedly Sharapova has actually started practicing again (reports say she started this week). It's just Istanbul is too early for her.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Moxie629 said:

Yes it was the right shoulder she had surgery on 2008. This injury came out of nowhere this year. IMO, she looked fine at Cinci just a little rust in her loss to Sloane. Then she pulls out of the Open and subsequent fall events and now this.

honey1269

Club Member
Reactions
10sfan said:
The shoulder injury was more than FIVE years ago. It seems recent because commentators talk about it during every one of her matches.

Yep...just like we hear about serena's feet injury (12 stitches in one foot and six in another) by stepping on broken glass while celebrating her win at Wimbledon 2010 (never heard the real story on that) and venus' health issues, yada yada yada...

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
kskate2 said:
Moxie629 said:

Yes it was the right shoulder she had surgery on 2008. This injury came out of nowhere this year. IMO, she looked fine at Cinci just a little rust in her loss to Sloane. Then she pulls out of the Open and subsequent fall events and now this.

You mean that 22min in and out surgery.

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
honey1269 said:
10sfan said:

Yep...just like we hear about serena's feet injury (12 stitches in one foot and six in another) by stepping on broken glass while celebrating her win at Wimbledon 2010 (never heard the real story on that) and venus' health issues, yada yada yada...

Please give me a break they hardly talk about Serena and Venus' injuries as a matter of fact, most of the time they act like the sisters never ever had injuries.:rolleyes:

my sherona

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
special700 said:
honey1269 said:
10sfan said:

Please give me a break they hardly talk about Serena and Venus' injuries as a matter of fact, most of the time they act like the sisters never ever had injuries.:rolleyes:
you're right nobody talk or cares about serena ..not ESPN.. nothing...no one.