Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Angie

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Aga could still finish second in the red group. Vika has had a crappy fall, so anything is possible.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kiu said:
Only 10 votes?
and there is only a couple of days left!?
I am refusing to vote until there is at least a dozen votes.
:(

14 votes..this site will be a lot busier in new year.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I must say Petra scrubs up well.I had to do a double take on her.Pity about the shoes though:))))

HawkEye

Futures Player
Reactions
I believe in Petra this time. Btw why can't I vote when the tourney hasn't started yet?

HawkEye

Futures Player
Reactions
kskate2 said:
Petra and Li are too inconsistent for the RR format.

I don't see any logic in this. RR format is a bit softer for "inconsistent" players.

HawkEye

Futures Player
Reactions
ozza said:
Serena's group isn't really that tough. Radwanska who has lost before she even takes to the court vs Serena, Kerber also unlikely to trouble her. Even Kvitova, the potentially toughest match, in general Serena loves playing that style of player, big hitters who she can outmaneuver.

Serena didn't seem to be loving the game in their only match this season in Doha.

ozza

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
5pm - [2] Victoria Azarenka vs [6] Sara Errani
FB - [1] Serena Williams vs [8] Angelique Kerber
FB - [3] Agnieszka Radwanska vs [5] Petra Kvitova

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
HawkEye said:
ozza said:
Serena's group isn't really that tough. Radwanska who has lost before she even takes to the court vs Serena, Kerber also unlikely to trouble her. Even Kvitova, the potentially toughest match, in general Serena loves playing that style of player, big hitters who she can outmaneuver.

Serena didn't seem to be loving the game in their only match this season in Doha.

Well Serena was also sick during that match too which might have something to do with why she wasn't happy ;)

ozza

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
I deleted a previous post about Stephens withdrawing. It appears Stephens is still the #2 alternate.

HawkEye

Futures Player
Reactions
It's interesting. Whenever Serena isn't demolishing others, she is ill, or injured or not at all herself (at least according to her fans).

Well, it's tennis. They have to play about 70 matches per season and it's impossible to be 100% healthy and in form in every match. It's the same for everybody. But it shouldn't diminish any victory or achievement.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Normally, I wouldn't have said that, but you can look at the match and actually see Serena coughing and blowing her nose during the match. I am with you on that 99% of the time you play you are saying you are fine to play, but she was sick which made it all the more surprising that Petra didn't close the deal.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
HawkEye said:
kskate2 said:
Petra and Li are too inconsistent for the RR format.

I don't see any logic in this. RR format is a bit softer for "inconsistent" players.

Here comes the logic: I believe Petra and Li do better in single elimination because they are so streaky. It's entirely possible they could catch fire for a set and a half or even for a whole match, but back-to-back matches against the top ranked players. :nono Since they won't be playing some lower ranked players or even qualifiers in the first 2 rounds. They could find themselves 0-2 by Fri and be out of the running for the SF. Now do you get it?

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
Normally, I wouldn't have said that, but you can look at the match and actually see Serena coughing and blowing her nose during the match. I am with you on that 99% of the time you play you are saying you are fine to play, but she was sick which made it all the more surprising that Petra didn't close the deal.

No surprise Petra didn't close the deal. I like the girl, but she is too flighty to be at the top of the game. She and Li can struggle against players like Vinci and Errani. No one in the top 10 w/ the kind of power that Li and Petra posses should be struggling aginst Errani's serve.

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
HawkEye said:
ozza said:

I agree with you Hawkeye, I think both Kerbie and Petra can give Serena a tough time.
I do agree that Aggie has minimal chance, but then she can beat Angie on a good day.

Serena will top this group but I don't know about going 3-0

ozza

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
I always think it's a disadvantage in this competition to not play opening day.

For Li and Jankovic to win now they have to play 5 matches in 5 days against the top opposition in the world.

Thankfully it appears they are resolving this problem next year:
Beyond The Baseline ‏@SI_BTBaseline 6h
#WTA CEO Stacey Allaster reiterates plan to expand Championships in 2014 to mirror #ATP format: 8 days, 8 singles and doubles teams.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kiu said:
HawkEye said:
ozza said:

I agree with you Hawkeye, I think both Kerbie and Petra can give Serena a tough time.
I do agree that Aggie has minimal chance, but then she can beat Angie on a good day.

Serena will top this group but I don't know about going 3-0

Don't forget Angie was 0-3 last year in the YEC. She is just as flighty as the rest of them. I am not saying Serena can't get challenged by anyone, but I still expect her to come out on top of her group. Serena is the confident one in this group. 10 titles, 2 slams, $10 million plus in prize money, someone who actually takes pride in not being a loser, and when she does lose she usually rights the ship quickly. I can't say anyone else on the tour actually plays with the intensity and desire of Serena. That is what I like about Serena. At least she has the nerve to feel embarrassed about her losses and do better.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
I don't know even off this year Serena has still beaten the players in her group. Kerber has been so off she never even made it to any of the rounds where she was supposed to face Serena. I am not saying Serena won't have to play well, but she certainly can have an off day and still win in that group where as the other ladies in that group not so much. I expect the biggest challenge to probably come from Kvitova if she shows up which is debatable since she hasn't played since having back issues.
got a feeling that these players are plotting to surprise Serena...she will be ready.Kvitova has no chance against Serena...

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
Angie came in on a high note last year, being #5
This year, she came in dead last, she should be playing with nothing to lose attitude.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kiu said:
Angie came in on a high note last year, being #5
This year, she came in dead last, she should be playing with nothing to lose attitude.
last year she was playing the tennis of her career this year she has not been playing well.... she is facing a very strong 10 titles and focused Rena.
Serena in 2 sets...:lolz: