Not open for further replies.

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
AGA is calling it a day and stops her tennis - we'll miss her

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I really like her game. Too bad that she had to retire before winning a slam. Actually, if she continues also, she won't win a slam. But, that is another matter. Mostly, I am saying too bad she did not win a slam in the past (especially in that Wimbledon when she had a chance).

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The BFFs of the WTA tour

And Carolines message to her

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Kind of knew Aga was close to leaving when she got married and opened that hotel.

Reactions: Tenfan63

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
New book in progress from Dominika Cibulkova

There will be everything - my love for tennis, my achievements, my mistakes, my ups and downs, my passion for fashion, my friends, my family, my love. My life.

[parsehtml]

<a class="embedly-card" href="http://www.wtatennis.com/news/cibulkova-starts-writing-fun-and-colorful-memoir">Cibulkova starts writing 'fun and colorful' memoir</a>

[/parsehtml]

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Halep adds the title of Fans Favourite to her #1 crown...

[parsehtml]

<a class="embedly-card" href="http://www.wtatennis.com/news/halep-wins-wta-fan-favorite-award-second-straight-year">Halep wins WTA Fan Favorite award for second straight year</a>
[/parsehtml]

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Unknown.jpeg

Historic cover. Serena in Teen Vogue.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Wozniak calls a career, she's only 31

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Really, I did not see that coming. How come hoergren is not the first to know.
She said Wozniak not Wozniacki. Wozniak is from Canada if I'm not mistaken. She's been plagued w/ injuries of late and never got back to the top of her game. Besides, Caroline is still in her late 20's.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
She said Wozniak not Wozniacki. Wozniak is from Canada if I'm not mistaken. She's been plagued w/ injuries of late and never got back to the top of her game. Besides, Caroline is still in her late 20's.

You are right. Besides, I guess it would have been a big news if Wozniacki retires. I almost forgot Wozniak.

Reactions: Hoergren

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
In your poem, you mentioned hygge. Please excuse my ignorance but what is hygge?

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
In your poem, you mentioned hygge. Please excuse my ignorance but what is hygge?
It's a complex word that's why it's an official English word today- here is the explanation in a dictionary:

A quality of cosiness and comfortable conviviality that engenders a feeling of contentment or well-being (regarded as a defining characteristic of Danish culture)
‘why not follow the Danish example and bring more hygge into your daily life?’
as modifier ‘count on candlelight—almost a requirement for that special hygge experience’

For a more deep understanding look at this article:

https://www.thelocal.dk/20170627/its-official-hygge-is-now-an-english-word

It's the same with nisse

A nisse is a mythological creature from Nordic folklore today typically associated with the winter solstice and the Christmas season. It is generally described as being no taller than 90 cm (35 in), having a long white beard, and wearing a conical or knit cap in red or some other bright colour.The nisse is one of the most familiar creatures of Scandinavian folklore, and he has appeared in many works of Scandinavian literature. With the romanticisation and collection of folklore during the 19th century, the nisse would gain popularity. In the English editions of the fairy tales of H. C. Andersen the word nisse has been inaccurately translated as goblin, pixie or elf. but the one I use is what many in Denmark imagine the nisse looks like - charming bloke me thinks ;)

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
It's a complex word that's why it's an official English word today- here is the explanation in a dictionary:

A quality of cosiness and comfortable conviviality that engenders a feeling of contentment or well-being (regarded as a defining characteristic of Danish culture)
‘why not follow the Danish example and bring more hygge into your daily life?’
as modifier ‘count on candlelight—almost a requirement for that special hygge experience’

For a more deep understanding look at this article:

https://www.thelocal.dk/20170627/its-official-hygge-is-now-an-english-word

It's the same with nisse

A nisse is a mythological creature from Nordic folklore today typically associated with the winter solstice and the Christmas season. It is generally described as being no taller than 90 cm (35 in), having a long white beard, and wearing a conical or knit cap in red or some other bright colour.The nisse is one of the most familiar creatures of Scandinavian folklore, and he has appeared in many works of Scandinavian literature. With the romanticisation and collection of folklore during the 19th century, the nisse would gain popularity. In the English editions of the fairy tales of H. C. Andersen the word nisse has been inaccurately translated as goblin, pixie or elf. but the one I use is what many in Denmark imagine the nisse looks like - charming bloke me thinks ;)

Thank you very much for your information. Hygge sounds like a nice, relaxing way of life. I might look into it more & try it out.

That's interesting. My favourite Viking mythological creature is Sleipnir who was Odin's horse & had 8 legs. I'd like to thank you for your information yet again. I haven't read fairy tales for years. According to some people Santa Clause was based on Odin. ;0)

Status
Not open for further replies.