Winston-Salem 250

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Rosol defeats Lu, makes his first HC final

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Querrey's got the first set v. JJ. They don't seem to be showing it anywhere live in the US.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Wow…from down a break, JJ pulls out the win over Querrey. I'm going to watch some of the replay. It seems that Janowicz is finding his form going into the Open. Spoiler-potential, for sure. (Not sure where he is landing in the draw.)

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
Wow…from down a break, JJ pulls out the win over Querrey. I'm going to watch some of the replay. It seems that Janowicz is finding his form going into the Open. Spoiler-potential, for sure. (Not sure where he is landing in the draw.)

He is in a tough section. David Ferrer's, to reach to him, he will need to get past perhaps Anderson first (R2) and Cilic (R3).

Anyways, good job for JJ, his second final, first since his master final in Paris 2 years ago.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
herios said:
Rosol defeats Lu, makes his first HC final

What a week he's having.

Interesting factoid that it's his first HC final. I couldn't remember how many other finals he's been in, so I checked:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/Lukas-Rosol.aspx?t=tf

It's only his fourth singles final ever, with three of them this year.

He's currently ranked No. 33 (which equals his all-time best), but today's win puts him at 30, and if he wins the final it will be 27.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Moxie629 said:

His form wasn't all that good. He had a lot of help from Querrey. Sam served for the match in the 2nd set at 5-4 and didn't win another game that set. He goes up a break again in the 3rd, had 40-0 to go up 5-3 and dumps serve. Sam is a mental midget. JJ just hung around. There's still a lot of inconsistency in his game and far too many dropshot attempts. If Querrey can anticipate the dropper and run it down, how much more ineffective a tactic that will be against a top player.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ Haha…got ya.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
kskate2 said:
Moxie629 said:

His form wasn't all that good. He had a lot of help from Querrey. Sam served for the match in the 2nd set at 5-4 and didn't win another game that set. He goes up a break again in the 3rd, had 40-0 to go up 5-3 and dumps serve. Sam is a mental midget. JJ just hung around. There's still a lot of inconsistency in his game and far too many dropshot attempts. If Querrey can anticipate the dropper and run it down, how much more ineffective a tactic that will be against a top player.

Sometimes that is all it takes. To hung around. I thought JJ was a mental midget himself.

pavlik89

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAk86QkDoYc[/video]

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
In the final JJ takes the first set against Rosol with 6-3.
On serve so far in the second.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Rosol got the break! He will serve for the match

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Great stuff, Rosol. Had a feeling he'd win. Up to number 27 in the rankings now. Impressive.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Front242 said:
Great stuff, Rosol. Had a feeling he'd win. Up to number 27 in the rankings now. Impressive.

It certainly is. Congrats to Rosol. At 29 years old, he's yet another late-blooming player.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
Bloody GSM, because of him I posted my congratulations to Lukas on the wrong thread. I think I need a break;)

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Billie said:
Bloody GSM, because of him I posted my congratulations to Lukas on the wrong thread. I think I need a break;)

There are two different places to congratulate the winner, depending on whether you do
with heart or head. :snigger

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
kskate2 said:

That was basically his story. When he first broke into the circuit, people did not know
that he hits a drop shot on every other attempt and so folks were fooled. He rose in
rankings and had good result.

After that, it became known to everybody that he can hit a drop shot from anywhere
in the court and actually does so on every other stroke. So, the novelty wore off and
he went down hill.

However, I must admit that apart from dropshot (which he is overusing and
thsu reducing its effectiveness), he has a good serve too.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Too true about that overused drop shot. I was hoping he'd get a title today. (Nothing against Rosol, but I thought JJ was an up-and-comer, and he reminded me a bit of Marat. I'm kind of over that now, though.)