L. Mayer
GG Lopez
J. Sousa
Rosol
Granollers

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Defending champion Melzer is already taken out by the boyish Goffin.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
This tourney has Saturday finals to give folks some time to rest and recoup before playing in USO.
Also, they give free chopper ride to NYC for the two finalists and their entourage so that they can get
there by Saturday night itself.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
This tourney has Saturday finals to give folks some time to rest and recoup before playing in USO.
Also, they give free chopper ride to NYC for the two finalists and their entourage so that they can get
there by Saturday night itself.

Well, that's a very novel fun-fact, though I'm not sure I'd be up for that, myself. :puzzled

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Three folks who got WC entry to USO, Wayne HGH Odesnik (Pro Circuit Champion),
Noah Rubin (Boys 18 champion) and Marcos Giron (NCAA Champion)
could not even clear the first round of Winston Salem itself.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
If Isner wins this event (highly likely as he is the top seed and he has never lost
a match in W&S in his whole life and as this is home town tourney), he wins the
USO Series Bonus Challenge Contest outright (as his points would be doubled
according to the rules).

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
GGLopez beat Dustin Brown in three. Yes!

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
jerzy janowicz won a match..how many times has that happened recently ?, not many.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
JesuslookslikeBorg said:
jerzy janowicz won a match..how many times has that happened recently ?, not many.

Just a week ago when he kicked Grigor's butt. So, if he gets his mojo going, he could be one of those dangerous floaters. As a top 8 seed, you may want to see his name as far as yours as possible.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
herios said:
JesuslookslikeBorg said:

Just a week ago when he kicked Grigor's butt. So, if he gets his mojo going, he could be one of those dangerous floaters. As a top 8 seed, you may want to see his name as far as yours as possible.

I know he lost to sir grigor last week dumbo. it was rhetorical question.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
If Isner wins this event (highly likely as he is the top seed and he has never lost
USO Series Bonus Challenge Contest
outright (as his points would be doubled
according to the rules).

This is a joke. Isner didn't even make the quarters of either of the big events :nono

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
GameSetAndMath said:
USO Series Bonus Challenge Contest
outright (as his points would be doubled
according to the rules).

This is a joke. Isner didn't even make the quarters of either of the big events :nono

Yes, it is a joke. They rigged the rules. According to the modern rules, if a player
gets points from three different tournaments, their total points earned is doubled
in just one stroke. This joke started from this year only.

In my not so humble opinion, this is a ploy to avoid large pay outs. Most top
players will just play the two Masters events and due to the doubling rule, they
ensure that any top player will not be able to win the USO series. So, they don't
have to actually pay the $1000,000 they promise.

Now that, I have taken a cynical look at it, let me look at it from a non-cynical
point of view. After all the purpose of this bonus challenge is to encourage participation
in US open series events. The two masters events will be played by folks whether or
not there is bonus challenge. So, it makes sense to incentivize participation in
non-masters us open series events.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Well clearly Isner's just after the money but this is also his hometown tournament. Can't help but think the guy is as clueless about scheduling as Del Potro though, playing right up to a slam :nono His form is pretty good right now yet his knee has always been dodgy so he should be resting up in order to do well at the more important USO imo. Well rested and serving well he could do well at the USO. His FH looked particularly good in the match against Murray although he made a right mess of that 3rd set TB. Said himself he thought it was his best performance all year and what does he do but play right up to the few days before the start of the next slam. Just not seeing the big picture at all.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ I think you have to put more importance on the fact that it's his local tourney. I think he wants to play it, to play in front of friends and family, but he probably knows the organizers going way back. I bet he's got a bit pressure to play, too, even if he in fact wants to.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
^ I think you have to put more importance on the fact that it's his local tourney. I think he wants to play it, to play in front of friends and family, but he probably knows the organizers going way back. I bet he's got a bit pressure to play, too, even if he in fact wants to.

I'm sure his fans would rather he got to the 2nd week of the USO than win a mickey mouse 250 though if they've any regard for actual fame.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Agreed they should be letting him off the hook by now.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Last year, he did not play there even though he initially planned to play. He dropped out
after reaching the finals of Cincy.

Given that this year he bombed out pretty early in Washington DC, Toronoto and
Cincy, it will probably not take a tool on him as the actual number of matches he
played is very less.

In any case, he has never gone beyond third round at USO so far independent of
whether he played the week before or not.

At least he can make some extra dough this way and go out in third round.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Last year, he did not play there even though he initially planned to play. He dropped out
after reaching the finals of Cincy.

Given that this year he bombed out pretty early in Washington DC, Toronoto and
Cincy, it will probably not take a tool on him as the actual number of matches he
played is very less.

In any case, he has never gone beyond third round at USO so far independent of
whether he played the week before or not.

At least he can make some extra dough this way and go out in third round.

Yeah, thinking he won't make it far in the USO so might as well grab the cash alright. The new way the bonus points work is a complete joke though as you pointed out earlier. Playing a third pointless 250 tournament wins you the bonus points over someone who won a masters 1000 and reached the final of the other. Completely insane.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ I really didn't realize that they'd changed the rules, until GSM pointed it out. Does this mean that Isner gets double-points, but no one gets the $1Mil bonus, (unless, of course, Isner wins the USO,) even if they won more points in the USO series? That does seem a cheat. I guess they didn't like paying it out to Rafa last year. Does anyone know who, if anyone, was the other last man to get the $1Mil bonus, before Rafa?

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
hurrah and huzzah..jj won whole tennis match..a bit controversial at the end though, or his opponent wasn't happy about something.