Reactions
Who wins?
7778928782_stan-wawrinka-a-wimbledon-en-2014.jpg

vs.
1631401-34625850-1600-900.jpg

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
This is a mouthwatering battle of one-handed backhands. This is probably going to be the most competitive of all the four quarterfinals.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I disagree with GSM--Stanislas is going to thrash Richard in straights.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Agreed Shawn. Stan is playing with so much confidence and the erratic play that plagued him hasn't shown up in quite some time. This is a heavyweight vs. middleweight. Gasquet can play on grass but I don't think he has enough firepower to win this.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
If Gasquet would be mentally stronger he could sweep Stan but....
Anyway I'm going to give him my vote of confidence, Gasquet in four :ras: :popcorn

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
^ If everyone played up to potential it sounds like Stan would be lucky to win a set off anyone, untalented player that he is. Lucky for him mighty Gasquet and Verdasco aren't mentally tougher or they would crush him :)

In all seriousness I am curious why you hate Stan? 2014 AO still on the mind?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Gasquet can come up with some angles that could expose Stan's movement. Gasquet is on a resurgence. Gasquet likes grass more than Stan. I say Gasquet in 4.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
went for 'big stanno' in five. watched nick k v gasquet, if gasgit can play same brand of more interesting attacking tennis where he's hovering around the baseline rather than near the backstop it could be a long match.

but likely stans powerful groundstrokes gonna force gasquet back weather he likes it or not.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
DarthFed said:
^ If everyone played up to potential it sounds like Stan would be lucky to win a set off anyone, untalented player that he is. Lucky for him mighty Gasquet and Verdasco aren't mentally tougher or they would crush him :)

I'm not sure if you are asking me but just in case, not, definitely I don't hate Stan at all, I think he is playing well but I wouldn't mind if Gasquet beat him. If I would win an Award or money getting right the winner then I'd probably vote for Stan :p
Of course I'm sure that Stan would be tougher opponent for Roger and Novak but if you check my votes I also have voted for his opponents ;)

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
This is a mouthwatering battle of one-handed backhands. This is probably going to be the most competitive of all the four quarterfinals.

Yeah, this is definitely backhand 101.However Stan isn't afraid to pull the trigger on his. Stan in straight sets

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
shawnbm said:
I disagree with GSM--Stanislas is going to thrash Richard in straights.

Possible, and you would think, but I'm going to be the lone person to give Gasquet "some love" after that ridiculous excuse for testing positive for COKE a few years ago! He certainly got away with it; so I gotta give him some dap on his "nerve!" :clap :snicker :laydownlaughing - Gasbag in 5! :snicker

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ Actually, I see 3 people voted for Gasquet so far. But I'd be surprised if he gets a set. Maybe one in a clever TB. Wawrinka is looking pretty confident in his game at the moment.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Of the four quarterfinal matches, this one would have the biggest chance of an upset I think. Wawrinka is playing fantastic so far, but I still feel that he could lay an egg at any time. And Gasquet is playing well. Their H2H is 1-1 with Gasquet winning the first match back in 2006, and then Stan beating Gasquet in five at the '13 French.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kirijax said:
Of the four quarterfinal matches, this one would have the biggest chance of an upset I think. Wawrinka is playing fantastic so far, but I still feel that he could lay an egg at any time. And Gasquet is playing well. Their H2H is 1-1 with Gasquet winning the first match back in 2006, and then Stan beating Gasquet in five at the '13 French.

H2H is 1-1?? How strange between two veterans who both were top 30 for...ever

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
herios said:
Kirijax said:

H2H is 1-1?? How strange between two veterans who both were top 30 for...ever

Yeah, I was surprised too. Or maybe ATP's site is acting up again. :dodgy:

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Gasquet gives up way too much space on the baseline and his forehand is far more unreliable than Stan's. Part of Stan's improvement is he's been able to stand much closer on the baseline and take the ball earlier, despite taking a big cut at the ball. That's one thing Gasquet has never been able to do and it's always hurt him.

Plus, the serve is another factor that huge plays into Stan's hands. Gasquet's game might be purer on grass in the sense that he's got really solid hands around the net and more variety in his game, but I don't think this will be ultra competitive and I certainly don't know where the claim of Gasquet winning is coming from. Stan wins this handily.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
DarthFed said:

I was told people never hate a player because he beats their favorite.