2014 Wimbledon Quarterfinals: Federer vs. Wawrinka

Who wins?

• Total voters

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
I can't wait for this match. I think the notion of "Stan bending for his countrymen" is a bit obsolete now. A lot of people (not on here, but in general) say Stan admires Roger too much to beat him, but it's the QF of a GS...

I think this is going to be a really great match. At the moment, I'm siding with Federer in 4, but I have a feeling that Stan could pull off an upset here.

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
tennisfanaticblog.weebly.com
TsarMatt said:
I can't wait for this match. I think the notion of "Stan bending for his countrymen" is a bit obsolete now. A lot of people (not on here, but in general) say Stan admires Roger too much to beat him, but it's the QF of a GS...

I think this is going to be a really great match. At the moment, I'm siding with Federer in 4, but I have a feeling that Stan could pull off an upset here.

I'd say nowadays that Roger is a little bit too openly pally with Stan for a guy who's one of his biggest rivals for big tournaments at the moment. He certainly didn't seem too fussed when he lost his golden opportunity to finally win Monte Carlo because it was "nice" for his buddy to win his first Masters title.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
NO IDEA :nono

Was thinking Fed would take this in three, but Stan held up well against Feli and now I'm wondering.

Guessing, Roger in 4

crystalfire

Major Winner
Reactions
No clue honestly. Pretty much know fed has no chance against Rafa so I hate to say this but I'm gonna root for Stan

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think Roger wins this in 3, maybe 4 if he has brain freeze. But he's playing too well right now for Stan to give him much of a challenge on grass.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
With Rafa out, Fed's chances of winning the tournament just went up. I think he'll be hellbent to beat Wawrinka.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I just have a feeling Stan serves lights out and takes this. After laying an egg at RG, he seems determined to redeem himself.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
It isn't money in the bank for Roger to win this one and there is the Rafa effect where he might come out nervous now that he is the favorite to reach the final. I think he takes care of Stan but wouldn't surprise me if he loses.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
DarthFed said:
It isn't money in the bank for Roger to win this one and there is the Rafa effect where he might come out nervous now that he is the favorite to reach the final. I think he takes care of Stan but wouldn't surprise me if he loses.

Yeah, I always think of the Haas match at the '09 RG right after Rafa lost. Roger was very tight, and nearly lost (I think Haas was 4-5 points from the win?). You're right -- Fed could be super nervous and tight tomorrow, but I still think he'll prevail.

I also don't think he'll have the same problems with Kyrgios, and certainly not Raonic. My prediction is if he gets past Wawrinka, he'll be in the final. At least I hope that's what happens. :)

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
^ I think Raonic is a much bigger threat right now. He scares me if that's the semi. I wouldn't be frightened by Kyrgios at all, too soon and there is no reason to think he will serve better than Milos on the average day.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I think Kyrgios will be probably tired tomorrow and it's a lot to expect him to follow up a career win with two or three more. Or even one more. But, I hope he does. I'm stunned, but only because he was brilliant.

Against Roger, is the fact that he's had nobody trouble him yet. It's been too easy, and he might have preferred a match like the Stepanek one for Djoker, that tests him a little and gives him a problem to solve. Also: he's consumed by the fact that once Rafa is in the draw, it means his chances are zilch - and when Rafa is out, it piles pressure on him. Stan might be too big tomorrow, he's looking cocky again and he's beaten Roger this year. I make Roger the favourite, because of who he is, but I don't think he's been helped by his draw...

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Roger on grass...to me he is the more superior player than Wawrinka

Roger to win in 3 sets unless Roger has a lapse in concentration...Roger in 4 sets.

crystalfire

Major Winner
Reactions
DarthFed said:
^ I think Raonic is a much bigger threat right now. He scares me if that's the semi. I wouldn't be frightened by Kyrgios at all, too soon and there is no reason to think he will serve better than Milos on the average day.

whenever fed plays a big server these days im afraid. hes vulnerable on his own serve and with big servers its hard to break especially with his lame slice returns

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
crystalfire said:
DarthFed said:

whenever fed plays a big server these days im afraid. hes vulnerable on his own serve and with big servers its hard to break especially with his lame slice returns

I agree somewhat but where i disagree is , those short slice returns, especially on grass, can be the key to breaking the serves of guys like Milos. That's how he won against him in the past, bringing him in, and then passing him.

The short slice return will be the key to beating the big servers.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
To be honest, I think Federer is still one of the best against big servers. Take Berdych out of the equation, against whom Federer has trouble serving, and a couple of matches agaisnt Tsonga, who in the end even lately he beats more than he loses to, and you can hardly say that he is "having trouble".

Agaisnt his own standards, he is having trouble in all areas. Big servers IMO are a very small part of it.

At Wimbledon, a B+ Federer can take whatever big server he has in front of him, if he makes the semi. The problem is that more than occasionaly he cannot find even his B+ game. BUT, if he keeps protecting his serve as he's doing right now, he's ok.

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
How many sets has Roger dropped here?

Stan may be the man but he ain't beating Fed twice in a row.

Roger in 4 although it could be 3