Wimbledon 2014 final: Federer vs Djokovic

whooo???

• Total voters

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I agree with most posts above, the only thing I would add is that I do not go along the lines that if it goes to five than it is a Novak's win. First, I guess that will see a lot of changes in momentum, so that could count. Second, is not that Federer is unable to last five sets, specially if gets an early break in the fifth. But, more importantly, I guess that Fed will wrong foot Djokovic a lot of times, given how often he is sliping and falling. Some of this falls might be ugly (given his athleticism), so I would not be surprised if Djokovic gets injured in this match (and then loses it).

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Mrzz, the wrong footing thing will be huge. If Roger can hit the inside-in forehand properly, he will go behind Nole many times, when he is trying to cover the court for the expected inside-out forehand from Roger. Nole can use it to his advantage too.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Yup, I mentioned the plays Roger will make that will likely make Novak slip too. He'll probably drive him nuts.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Cosmo said:
Go Roger! :)

Cosmo! I'm so happy to see you here. You've been missed. How have you been?

What's your prediction for the final? Roger wins, of course, but how many sets?

crystalfire

Major Winner
Reactions
Riotbeard said:
I will say anybody who thinks roger is in a pitiable position if he loses is insane. The guy has seventeen majors?!

By all means root for your guy, but it is hardly a tail of woe!

That's what I think. Even if he loses I still think he has a shot at majors. Its not like we are seeing any young blood who are consistently going deep as these guys are. All he he needs is some luck like this Wimbledon and he's in a major final

crystalfire

Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:
Even if he does he may be younger but he's had a much tougher path to the final than Roger has and even Novak's fitness has come down a bit last 2 years. Roger's path couldn't have been less stressful on the body if he tried. 1 set and 1 service game dropped. He's physically in perfect nick for this final.

Even he prolongs the point fed has significantly less time on court than Novak so fitness really shouldn't be an issue.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Actually in my opinion, Federer needs to win the first set in order to set the tone early. Because Djokovic is more likely to come back from a set down than Federer.

It will be an interesting match because we can't really predict on what's gonna happen. I agree that Federer is the favorite because his form is better and it is on a grass court; however, he could have a shank day ala Murray in the Quarterfinals.

Same thing for Djokovic, he might not be playing that well but he is good enough to win the match without playing his best tennis. Either way, it will be a very interesting final...

I do wonder what will happen to Djokovic's psychological mind if he loses another Slam final this time against Federer. I mean if he loses again, that would mean he would be 0 for 4 in the Slam finals against the Big Four since winning 2013 Australian Open. That's gonna be deflating for him if he does lose another Slam final.

Fitness should not be an issue for Djokovic. His semifinal match last year was more physically taxing than this year. If anything, it should be the mental aspect for Djokovic.

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
I'm looking forward to this. I love the Djokovic/Federer match-up, and it should be 10x better on the grass. Honestly, I'm happy if either wins. I'd love to see Federer win his 18th GS, especially after his rather substandard 2013 season where many, including myself, never predicted he'd win a GS or even make a GS final again. I'd also love to see Djokovic win. He's been in so many GS finals these last 2-3 years, and it's kind of sad to see him always getting so close but not walking away with the gold. You have to admire his consistency, too. He's always performing well at the GSs but seems to constantly drop off in that last match. You can tell he really wants it.

So yeah, I am happy on whoever wins this match. My prediction is Djokovic in 4 sets. There's no denying how well Federer is playing, but I think Nole is going to seize the moment here. This is one of his best chances to win a major, and I think he deserves it. I think he thinks he deserves it, too, so I can see him really up the ante. Then again, this will probably Federer's last huge chance to win a major, so he'll throw everything but the kitchen sink here, as well. Djokovic usually plays rather passive in finals, but I think it'll be a completely different story here.

Something like 3-6, 7-6, 6-4, 7-6 is my prediction. Should be a good match!

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
crystalfire said:
Front242 said:
Even if he does he may be younger but he's had a much tougher path to the final than Roger has and even Novak's fitness has come down a bit last 2 years. Roger's path couldn't have been less stressful on the body if he tried. 1 set and 1 service game dropped. He's physically in perfect nick for this final.

Even he prolongs the point fed has significantly less time on court than Novak so fitness really shouldn't be an issue.

Yup, exactly. I expect scrambles, slips, arms thrown up in the air, head slouched, etc. :snigger

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
TsarMatt said:
I'm looking forward to this. I love the Djokovic/Federer match-up, and it should be 10x better on the grass. Honestly, I'm happy if either wins. I'd love to see Federer win his 18th GS, especially after his rather substandard 2013 season where many, including myself, never predicted he'd win a GS or even make a GS final again. I'd also love to see Djokovic win. He's been in so many GS finals these last 2-3 years, and it's kind of sad to see him always getting so close but not walking away with the gold. You have to admire his consistency, too. He's always performing well at the GSs but seems to constantly drop off in that last match. You can tell he really wants it.

So yeah, I am happy on whoever wins this match. My prediction is Djokovic in 4 sets. There's no denying how well Federer is playing, but I think Nole is going to seize the moment here. This is one of his best chances to win a major, and I think he deserves it. I think he thinks he deserves it, too, so I can see him really up the ante. Then again, this will probably Federer's last huge chance to win a major, so he'll throw everything but the kitchen sink here, as well. Djokovic usually plays rather passive in finals, but I think it'll be a completely different story here.

I'd prefer Nole winning it; needs it more, but I wouldn't mind Federer padding his lead over Rafa!

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
TsarMatt said:

The winner deserves it and no one else! You don't deserve to win unless you play well enough to hoist the trophy.

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:
TsarMatt said:

The winner deserves it and no one else! You don't deserve to win unless you play well enough to hoist the trophy.
Very true, but I still think he deserves it. :p

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Well I like him almost as much as Fed and I feel bad for his slam losses of late but he still needs to earn it to deserve it :cool:

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
TsarMatt said:
Front242 said:
TsarMatt said:

Nole's a better representative of #1 and I can't wait for him to knock Nadal back down! He's unassuming, but confident, and respects his opposition more! Nadal's an arse in so many ways; and that's without watching his "ugly style" of tennis! :mad: :nono :rolleyes:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
rafanoy1992 said:
Actually in my opinion, Federer needs to win the first set in order to set the tone early. Because Djokovic is more likely to come back from a set down than Federer.

It will be an interesting match because we can't really predict on what's gonna happen. I agree that Federer is the favorite because his form is better and it is on a grass court; however, he could have a shank day ala Murray in the Quarterfinals.

Same thing for Djokovic, he might not be playing that well but he is good enough to win the match without playing his best tennis. Either way, it will be a very interesting final...

I do wonder what will happen to Djokovic's psychological mind if he loses another Slam final this time against Federer. I mean if he loses again, that would mean he would be 0 for 4 in the Slam finals against the Big Four since winning 2013 Australian Open. That's gonna be deflating for him if he does lose another Slam final.

Fitness should not be an issue for Djokovic. His semifinal match last year was more physically taxing than this year. If anything, it should be the mental aspect for Djokovic.

I think even as recently as in Dubai, Fed lost the first set and then came back to win it.
That was best of three. If he can do that in best of three, I don't see why he can't do that
in best of five.

Having said that, I believe Fed will win the first set (and the last set of the match :cool: )

crystalfire

Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:
Well I like him almost as much as Fed and I feel bad for his slam losses of late but he still needs to earn it to deserve it :cool:

same. either way im gonna be sad for the loser and happy for the winner. if fed wins ill probably be more happy than sad lol

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
TsarMatt said:
Front242 said:
TsarMatt said:

Nole's a better representative of #1 and I can't wait for him to knock Nadal back down! He's unassuming, but confident, and respects his opposition more! Nadal's an arse in so many ways; and that's without watching his "ugly style" of tennis! :mad: :nono :rolleyes:

Spoken like a diplomatic non-partisan. (With the emoticons to prove it.)

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
crystalfire said:
Front242 said:

same. either way im gonna be sad for the loser and happy for the winner. if fed wins ill probably be more happy than sad lol

Well, Novak has years left on tour yet playing a high level. The reverse is not true, Roger's time is running out.