• Total voters

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
crystalfire said:
who wins yall?

I'm sure most money will be put on Roger, but unless he plays "lights out," I think Nole can take him in 4! Roger has to serve well and take it to Nole to win otherwise he'll get into a groove that even Federer can't extricate himself from! :rolleyes: :angel: I'm betting on NOLE; it's his to take!

crystalfire

Major Winner
Reactions
this is really tough for me to pick. as a fed fan i would for him to win. however im gonna feel terrible for djokovic if fed wins. this will just be another final he lost to his main rivals and his confidence might just drop. i think im just gonna pick djoker. not sure about sets yet. whoever wins ill be happy for them

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Well, big fan of both so I'll be happy for either guy but, crystalfire, you should feel a lot worse for Roger if he screws this up. He's 33 next month, Novak has years left yet. :cool: I know who I'd feel a lot more sorry for!

tented

Administrator
Reactions
If Fed is going to do it, he'll need to finish off Novak in 3 or 4 sets. If it goes 5, it's Novak's. I'm voting Federer in 4.

crystalfire

Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:
Well, big fan of both so I'll be happy for either guy but, crystalfire, you should feel a lot worse for Roger if he screws this up. He's 33 next month, Novak has years left yet. :cool: I know who I'd feel a lot more sorry for!

trueee dat

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
First slam final between the two since, what, 2007? These guys always brought the best of each other back in the day and had some magic 5 setters.

Last grass match played here, was an easy win for Roger but that was 2012.

They both need this win for various reasons. Nole has been sucking at finals and he has to get one under his belt for his head to get straight. Roger needs this one because next month he is 33.

I feel like Roger has to close this before it gets to 5 sets but on the other hand, Nole's mind might start playing tricks on him as well if this goes 5 sets. Nole might stay fresher of the two if this goes 5, but mentally Roger might have the upper hand, put doubts in Noles head, especially if he is coming back from 1-2 or something.

Roger serves and returns the way he has been up to this point, I will go with Roger in 4.

We might be in for a classic.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
^ I think their matches have got better the past 4-5 years, they used to be sloppy. It is hard to believe this is only their 2nd GS final meeting and it comes 7 years after the first one. It's one of those matches where I think Nole will have to play at top level consistency to win and even then Roger should have a good chance. Even when Nole had become the better player and Roger declined it was still tough for Nole on fast courts vs. Roger. I think Roger will dig in and win this one, could look similar to the 2012 final in a way.

crystalfire

Major Winner
Reactions
i hope its a classic. hope fed doesnt shank this away or djoker let his bad mood to affect his play.

crystalfire

Major Winner
Reactions
both of them should have plenty of energy for this so i dont think fatigue is an issue.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think Novak wins in 5, hopefully he will feel at ease.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Assuming Roger continues serving the way he has done in this tournament so far,
I will pick Roger in four.

Even though Novak has reached the final, he is definitely not playing his best
as evidenced by the five setter against Cilic and the tough four setter against Grigor.
However, this can be interpreted either way (Novak is not playing good vs. he has
not yet peaked and can bring another gear into the finals).

Roger wins against Novak in fast courts (most recent example being Dubai).
Plus, Roger kind of "hates" Novak more than other members of big four and so
will be on fire.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
crystalfire said:
i hope its a classic. hope fed doesnt shank this away or djoker let his bad mood to affect his play.

And any of those three things could realistically happen: it's a classic, Roger "Shank" Federer shows up, or Djokovic has another GS final letdown.

I think a huge factor will be who can handle the stress of the situation better. If anyone knows how to win a GS final, it's Federer. However, he has been in far fewer than he used to be, so he's a little out of practice, plus he knows this will be one of his last chances to win another. If this stuff overwhelms him, he'll be in trouble.

At the same time, if Djokovic's finalitis persists, that will be his downfall. He's hyper-aware of having lost his last 3 major finals in a row, to the point where he started talking about it in the post-match interview. This is weighing on him.

I expect a shaky start from both, and then it will be a matter of who can calm down and execute his game better.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
tented said:
crystalfire said:

And any of those three things could realistically happen: it's a classic, Roger "Shank" Federer shows up, or Djokovic has another GS final letdown.

I think a huge factor will be who can handle the stress of the situation better. If anyone knows how to win a GS final, it's Federer. However, he has been in far fewer than he used to be, so he's a little out of practice, plus he knows this will be one of his last chances to win another. If this stuff overwhelms him, he'll be in trouble.

At the same time, if Djokovic's finalitis persists, that will be his downfall. He's hyper-aware of having lost his last 3 major finals in a row, to the point where he started talking about it in the post-match interview. This is weighing on him.

I expect a shaky start from both, and then it will be a matter of who can calm down and execute his game better.

Hopefully Novak kind of relaxes, and admits the honest truth, four losses in a row isn't really any worse than three, so just go out play your game and see what happens.

Easier said than done.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
If Roger wins I wonder if Sampras will present the trophy. Kieran wouldn't like that :D

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Also thought Roger's backhand DTL was pretty awesome today. Hope he brings that in the final. Made a monkey out of Raonic quite a few times today with that shot.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
If Roger wins I wonder if Sampras will present the trophy. Kieran wouldn't like that :D

I'm always very happy to see the incomparable Pete. But beware: he didn't bring rafa much luck in Oz! Though maybe we can say he brought Roger some luck there, so that's fine. :snigger

Huge pressure on Nole in this one: he's gone 1 for 6 in slam finals since Oz 2012. He's becoming the go-to guy for the rest, when they want to buff up their resume. Can he credibly lose on Sunday and be considered favourite for any slam? Isn't he facing a huge crisis, right here and now? In his favour, he reaches the finals - but the others are cleaning him out.

On Roger's side, isn't this the very very really really final chance to win a major? He's not gonna get a better one, is he? On grass, against Nole, who's never beaten him on grass.

If Nole wins, he completes the set of beating Roger at all the majors, just as Roger did against him in 2012, at Wimbledon. But more crucial for Nole: a win sets him back at slam winner level - and he replaces Rafa at the top, with nobody sniggering behind his back.

Roger has been excellent this tournament, and I thought Nole was shoddy against Cough Drop and unconvincing in other matches, including some lapses in intensity and concentration today.

I'm going for Roger, in four...