[Blog] Wimbledon Final: A Rematch of 2014

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
August, very good summation!

I have a few things I disagree with/would like to hear your opinion about.

First, while Novak isn't as aggressive as federer, he plays much closer to the baseline than Andy. He also has a much better serve, so while on Fed's service games, it is on his racket, the same could be said for Novak when he is serving. Also Novak will definitely play a more aggressive style against Fed than Murray.

Given current form, I am not comfortable saying it is on anybody's rackets. More so than against Andy, I see this early on being decided by tie-breakers instead of Roger just being able to rely on this serve, then waiting for a good opportunity in Andy's service games. Novak will not give nearly as many opportunities on his own serve.

In short, while Novak plays a lot of defense, he is not a pure defense player in the way Andy is and will be more comfortable countering Fed's offense with his own.

August

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Website
augustonsports.blogspot.com
Riotbeard said:

First, while Novak isn't as aggressive as federer, he plays much closer to the baseline than Andy. He also has a much better serve, so while on Fed's service games, it is on his racket, the same could be said for Novak when he is serving. Also Novak will definitely play a more aggressive style against Fed than Murray.

Given current form, I am not comfortable saying it is on anybody's rackets. More so than against Andy, I see this early on being decided by tie-breakers instead of Roger just being able to rely on this serve, then waiting for a good opportunity in Andy's service games. Novak will not give nearly as many opportunities on his own serve.

In short, while Novak plays a lot of defense, he is not a pure defense player in the way Andy is and will be more comfortable countering Fed's offense with his own.

When Djokovic had that tough five-setter against Anderson, I started to think he may not be so good right now. He didn't really outplay Anderson, getting broken after two DFs cost the match for Anderson.

And now Djokovic is facing an even tougher grass-courter. If Federer plays like so far in the tournament, Djokovic must bring his best to have a chance. Sure, he can do it but I don't think we've seen that kind of tennis from him yet in this tournament.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
August said:
When Djokovic had that tough five-setter against Anderson, I started to think he may not be so good right now. He didn't really outplay Anderson, getting broken after two DFs cost the match for Anderson.

And now Djokovic is facing an even tougher grass-courter. If Federer plays like so far in the tournament, Djokovic must bring his best to have a chance. Sure, he can do it but I don't think we've seen that kind of tennis from him yet in this tournament.

I really disagree with you on both of these points. Anderson played out of his mind those first two sets and had a chance to regroup overnight for the fifth. Novak beat him and then went on to take down Cilic and Gasquet handily, with only momentary glimpses of his 'A' game.

He's played Federer how many times? There really won't be any mystery there. He knows what he will be facing, and he will - I expect - be way more focused than he was Friday. No, you haven't seen his best tennis yet. That is for Sunday.

Ajde Nole! :)

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Thanks for the article August! I have to admit i have my doubts about Djokovic in this tournament too. But once again he's right where he's supposed to be. I'm just praying that Federer can bring the same level he had in the semifinal. If that happens, Federer could win. But it has to be his best against Djokovic.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I would agree that Federer is looking the better this year. Djokovic hasn't shown his best level at the tournament, but he hasn't really had to. Against Anderson, he stayed calm, and let Kevin blow it. Federer needs to play as well as he did against Murray, which is a high level. Novak needs to find the next gear.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Good summary August.

I am having difficulty imagining Fed playing at any higher level than he did on Friday against Andy. However, I am sure that Novak has not shown all the gears he has and it would be foolish to base the prediction on what he has shown so far only.

However, I think if Fed plays at 80% (or higher) of the level he displayed on Friday, he should win this match.

Fed is definitely both playing well and more confident this year compare to same time last year.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Riotbeard said:

Federer is very good in playing tie-breakers. I would give the advantage to Fed on tie breakers. However, as we all know he does not have very good five set record. If the match goes to five sets, I would give the advantage to Novak.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Depends who he's playing though. Roger's 3rd set tiebreaks at Indian Wells and Wimbledon last year against Novak were some of the worst he's played. No point doing well to get it to a tiebreak and playing the worst part of the set there :nono

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Front242 said:
Depends who he's playing though. Roger's 3rd set tiebreaks at Indian Wells and Wimbledon last year against Novak were some of the worst he's played. No point doing well to get it to a tiebreak and playing the worst part of the set there :nono

Just ask Gasquet! ;)

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Good article, August, and well written. I noticed the optimism regarding Roger, and saw that with the Wimbledon crowd today, but actually, Nole wouldn't have been flattered if he won in straights. This is the reality, when a younger great champ faces an old bloke. There was a sentimental consensus gathered around Federer, based upon the Murray match. There's a reason why Nole is who he is, though, and Murray isn't...