Will Rafael Nadal win 10 titles at Roland Garros?

Will Rafael Nadal win 10 titles at Roland Garros?

• Yes

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Likely

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Don't know

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Unlikely

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

masterclass

Masters Champion
Reactions
Despite his various absences, Mr. Nadal has never missed playing at Roland Garros.
He's now won 4 in a row twice (2005-2008, 2010-2013).
"Only" two more to go.

Why or why not?

If not, who do you think will beat him, or who would you like to beat him?

Respectfully,
masterclass

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions
Depends on how long he will play at a high level . I mean if he plays well he will always have a shot at that tournament

How long do you see him play Maserclass

masterclass

Masters Champion
Reactions
Hmm, tennisville, so I guess you are in the "Likely" category, or "Don't know", because you don't know how long he will play, or at what level.

I think he has said he wants to play at least till the 2016 Olympics. Let's take him at face value.
That gives him at least 3 years to win 2, unless he suffers a career ending injury.

Respectfully,
masterclass

Slasher1985

Futures Player
Reactions
If he wins in 2014 (and that has very high probability), I say he will win the 10th title as well. He has always been motivated and even at 30+ (without career ending injury) he'd be a favorite to win the title.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I think 10 is possible, even likely, if he has another 2 or 3 years playing at this level. But that's not a given. Nor are his knees. However, I think it's likely he can manage to squirt out another couple at RG, which would be extraordinary, wouldn't it? Would tennis ever see such a thing again? :nono

masterclass

Masters Champion
Reactions
I might have to agree with Slasher.

He's darn hard to beat there (98.33% match winning pct.).

Only one man, Robin Söderling, has beaten him there (2009), and after the dangerous Swede also made the RG final in 2010 (this time losing to Nadal), he has since disappeared. It was said to be due to mono, but suspicions abound, from secret suspension to Uncle Toni. :rolleyes:

Two men have taken him to 5 sets, John Isner in the first round in 2011 who ran out of gas after leading 2 sets to 1, and Novak Djokovic in last year's semifinals, losing 7-9 in the decider.

Who do I think will finally beat him there, if at all? If he loses, I think it will be an early round. He's too tough once he makes it to the SF stage and can smell it.

Who would I like to see beat him?
Pablo Carreno Busta.

Respectfully,
masterclass

Slasher1985

Futures Player
Reactions
masterclass said:
Who would I like to see beat him? Pablo Carreno Busta.

Respectfully,
masterclass

Wow. There are no words to describe how much I would like to see this happening. Dimitrov is also a good choice here, but it's impossible to anticipate his form or motivation. Although, clay seems to suit him.

E

EmmaMonroe

Dimitrova is an overrated mug. He'll never win anything ... His biggest achievement is banging Sharapova. He's trying to copy Lord Federer but he is clueless ... blah

masterclass

Masters Champion
Reactions
Slasher1985 said:
masterclass said:
Who would I like to see beat him? Pablo Carreno Busta.

Respectfully,
masterclass

Wow. There are no words to describe how much I would like to see this happening. Dimitrov is also a good choice here, but it's impossible to anticipate his form or motivation. Although, clay seems to suit him.

Carreño Busta - Won the 2013 most improved player of the year award going from #654 to #65 in the world. If the Spanish pecking order allows ;), I can see him being a major factor in the next 2-3 years time.

I think Dimitrov's only chance at RG (or any other major) is to get a good doctor/trainer who will improve his fitness/diet/endurance. RG (and probably AO) is not the place for people that cramp in 3 sets. He certainly has most of the shots needed to beat other players. Mentality and results generally improve once one is confident one can stay out on the court as long as required. One doesn't need to look beyond the tour's top 3 players for evidence of that in today's conditions. :s Let's see how he progresses.

Respectfully,
masterclass

masterclass

Masters Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:
I think 10 is possible, even likely, if he has another 2 or 3 years playing at this level. But that's not a given. Nor are his knees. However, I think it's likely he can manage to squirt out another couple at RG, which would be extraordinary, wouldn't it? Would tennis ever see such a thing again? :nono

Never say never, but very doubtful, Kieran.
I don't think Roger can win 3 more at Wimbledon before hanging up his racquet(s).

Respectfully,
masterclass

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:

He's squirts out a couple every match! And hopefully tennis will never see such a thing again. It's a family sport :lolz:

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think Novak gets at least one, and I think rafa gets 2 in the next three or so years. As far behind the rest of the field is in general, they are even farther on clay. Delpo is the only player even close to being able to challenge rafa and novak. Even Andy looks pedestrian by comparison on this surface.

T

tenniskiosk

masterclass said:
Despite his various absences, Mr. Nadal has never missed playing at Roland Garros.
He's now won 4 in a row twice (2005-2008, 2010-2013).
"Only" two more to go.

Why or why not?

If not, who do you think will beat him, or who would you like to beat him?

Respectfully,
masterclass

I would like to see Roger beat Nadal on Rolland Garros once, like how he beat roger at his beloved Wimbledon, just to shift the rivalry balance a little more to Roger's favor.

Realistically speaking, the only person capable of beating Nadal at Rolland Garros now is Djokovic, or even Delpo(at his best). Wont count Andy Murray in on this as his worst surface is definitely the red dirt.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
As others have indicated, the issue likely turns on next year and a victory there for #9.

"Number nine, number nine, number nine, ..."

Tennis Miller

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
shawnbm said:
As others have indicated, the issue likely turns on next year and a victory there for #9.

Are you saying that for Rafa to lose, it would require a "Revolution"?

Cheers

TM

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Tennis Miller said:
shawnbm said:

Are you saying that for Rafa to lose, it would require a "Revolution"?

Cheers

TM

Nicely put, TM. It would require Rafa to jump to the middle part of the "song" and say "take this brother, may it serve you well." ;)

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I voted "likely." Right now I'd say his chances of winning one more are around 90%, two more around 60%, and three more around 30%.

If he wins in 2014, his chances of 10 go up to about 70-80%, imo.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
It's a given if he stays reasonably healthy. Believe it or not he doesn't even have to move well to be the favorite there or a distant 2nd favorite. The basic rally forehand is too much for all but one to handle on that surface. He could be a factor there up to age 35 if he is still around.