Wilander: Winning Roland Garros without Rafael Nadal is not authentic win

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Wilander says: "Winning Roland Garros without Rafael Nadal – it’s not an authentic Roland Garros, and Djokovic knows it"

Controversial statatement. Thoughts?

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
is he paid just to come out with outlandish guff ?. mats trollander is at it again..hey ho.

as if its djokovics fault that rafa isn't fit to carry on. maybe FO was invented in 2005 by rafa and not in 1891.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Dumb comment. Djokovic destroyed Rafa at RG last year and has beaten him on clay a bunch of other times. He was never going to have to beat Rafa at this RG for it to be "legit". And last year Stan beat the man that destroyed Rafa in the QF's. Was that not a legit championship?

Reactions: Denis

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
No, that's ridiculous, at this point in Rafa's career. If we're going to be controversial, there is the point that Roger got his FO win when someone else took out Nadal, but Federer fought for it, and won it. You play who's in front of you. As will everyone else left in the draw this year. Nadal has an astonishing history at RG. Roger never got through him there, and Djokovic did only against a very diminished Nadal last year. Much credit to Nadal how many times he beat each there, and mostly everyone else. But you can't keep saying that you have to get through Nadal in this era to "truly" deserve the championship. I hope Rafa can win it back next year, but you can't say that the players left in the tournament, at this point, are scrubs.

Reactions: Denis

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
maybe FO was invented in 2005 by rafa and not in 1891.

Count on JLLB to tell it like it is. In his own way. OK, it was a French-only thing for a long time, but you get the point. Nadal owed it for a long time, but he didn't invent it. And it will move on without him, much as it pains me.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
So in 2009 the arrogant old Swiss had no authentic win ??? interesting, they should have given Soderling the trophy

Reactions: EdbergsGhost

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
^ In 2009 Roger beat the man that beat the RG king. It actually played out the same in 2015 though obviously beating the #1 Djokovic in the final was more impressive than beating Sod. Both wins were plenty authentic just like whoever wins it this year. Rafa was dethroned last year, Wilander's comment would make more sense if Rafa actually won the tournament last year.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
is he paid just to come out with outlandish guff ?. mats trollander is at it again..hey ho.

as if its djokovics fault that rafa isn't fit to carry on. maybe FO was invented in 2005 by rafa and not in 1891.

Lol @Mats Trollander, haha, that made me laugh. Right on JLLB!

Reactions: Billie

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Lol @Mats Trollander, haha, that made me laugh. Right on JLLB!

Trollander? he is a 7 time slam champ and you are? (shhh... just another Novak fanatic). i don't agree with him either as it's not the first he's said such things (like Fed has no balls lol), however he has tennis credentials and most people are just ..... well.... fanatics of somebody.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Trollander? he is a 7 time slam champ and you are? (shhh... just another Novak fanatic). i don't agree with him either as it's not the first he's said such things (like Fed has no balls lol), however he has tennis credentials and most people are just ..... well.... fanatics of somebody.

JLLB is not a Novak fanatic, Ritardo.

Reactions: Billie