Will playing 4 days in a row catch up with Djokovic in the final?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Obsi said:
What do you think?

Well, hope so. But, you got to realize there is parity. Thiem also will be playing 4th day in a row if the semifinals are scheduled tomorrow. So, Nole would not have an excuse if he loses.

Obsi

Masters Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Obsi said:
What do you think?

Well, hope so. But, you got to realize there is parity. Thiem also will be playing 4th day in a row if the semifinals are scheduled tomorrow. So, Nole would not have an excuse if he loses.

I said FINAL. Novak is not there yet but it's very likely to happen so I think this thread is justifiable.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
No, he will not be tired. He destroyed Berdych and will be rested for his semifinal against Thiem. Thiem played longer and looked as if his match was more taxing, even on his younger body compared to Novak. To me, Nole is playing fairly well and getting better at each stage. Thiem will be the next scalp. I still think Stanislas is the only one who really stands in Nole's way, as was the case last year. Wawrinka will likely beat Murray unless the inferior error-prone version shows up. If he plays well and Andy does too, I think Stanislas takes it.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
^I mostly agree with Shawnbm above put I gotta say I saw some signs of tiredness in Djokovic in today´s match. I remember thinking ´hmmmm.... if he loses this set [the third] we might have a match´.

If Thiem comes with all guns blazing and doesn´t feel the occasion (big if, I know), things could get very complicated. The glimpses of the Thiem Goffin match I saw were of extremely high quality. They were playing faster, harder, and more accurately than Djokovic x Berdych.

On the other side, I really hope Wawrinka blows Murray off. That will guarantee a helluva final.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
After what happened last year, it's only justice with Nole getting somewhat of a break! This is his time and he has to get this done; "now or never!" Time is truly running out! :rolleyes:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Obsi said:
GameSetAndMath said:
Obsi said:
What do you think?

I said FINAL. Novak is not there yet but it's very likely to happen so I think this thread is justifiable.

Sorry, I missed the keyword. Yes, it will catch up to him provided Thiem takes him to 5 sets. If Novak wins in straight sets, there is no hope that it will catch up to him (that does not mean he will win, just means he cannot give tiredness as an excuse if he loses in the final). If Thiem can only take him to 4 sets, it depends on how grueling is the other semifinal (which I expect to be very grueling as well and most probably go to 5 sets).

Whatever happens, I am happy with the outcome at this stage. We got two mouthwatering semifinals and likely a mouthwatering final as well. Cannot complain.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
GameSetAndMath said:
Obsi said:
GameSetAndMath said:

Sorry, I missed the keyword. Yes, it will catch up to him provided Thiem takes him to 5 sets. If Novak wins in straight sets, there is no hope that it will catch up to him (that does not mean he will win, just means he cannot give tiredness as an excuse if he loses in the final). If Thiem can only take him to 4 sets, it depends on how grueling is the other semifinal (which I expect to be very grueling as well and most probably go to 5 sets).

Whatever happens, I am happy with the outcome at this stage. We got two mouthwatering semifinals and likely a mouthwatering final as well. Cannot complain.

...at least Nole's match is 1st so if it runs long, he'll have more rest than the winner of Murray/Warwrinka; turnabout is "fair play!" What does that say about the tour when 3 of the 4 finalists are the same as the previous tournament? Unbelievable! :rolleyes: :angel: :dodgy:

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
mrzz said:
^I mostly agree with Shawnbm above put I gotta say I saw some signs of tiredness in Djokovic in today´s match. I remember thinking ´hmmmm.... if he loses this set [the third] we might have a match´.

If Thiem comes with all guns blazing and doesn´t feel the occasion (big if, I know), things could get very complicated. The glimpses of the Thiem Goffin match I saw were of extremely high quality. They were playing faster, harder, and more accurately than Djokovic x Berdych.

On the other side, I really hope Wawrinka blows Murray off. That will guarantee a helluva final.

I tend to agree with this. If the match tomorrow is routine, novak should be well rested for the final. If it's a slug fest, it could definitely take a lot out of him.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
GameSetAndMath said:
Obsi said:

...at least Nole's match is 1st so if it runs long, he'll have more rest than the winner of Murray/Warwrinka; turnabout is "fair play!" What does that say about the tour when 3 of the 4 finalists are the same as the previous tournament? Unbelievable! :rolleyes: :angel: :dodgy:

Nonsense. Both semifinals are being played simultaneously with a start time of 3 p.m. on different courts.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Both semifinals are being played at the same time. If ANdy/Stan semifinal finishes tomorrow itself and Nole/Thiem final gets stopped midway due to rain, that would be great. :devil But, unfortunately the chances of that happening is less as tomorrow is expected to be a clear day.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
The pressure getting to Novak. I did not see this point. But apparently Novak might have been disqualified from the tournament today if the racquet he flung had actually hit a line judge.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I don't see him losing to Thiem, or at least the chances are very low, but the gap between him and Andy isn't as large as it was with Andy playing pretty well, and we all know Stan can beat Novak in Stanimal mode.

Still, Novak remains the player to beat, but the pressure is on.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
In other words, I didn't really say anything meaningful, just basically "Anything can happen, but Novak will probably win."

Duh.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
It won't if he is smart and keeps ahead if he gets the lead. He can't be getting breaks only to surrender them back and waste time and energy.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Oh he also needs to not be an idiot and throw his racquet and disqualify himself. Don't make it that easy.

Backhand_DTL

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Novak's time on court during the last few days was comparable with a reasonably comfortable route in a regular Best-of-Three Tournament (around 2 hours on Tuesday, 1 1/2 hours on Wednesday and 2 hours today), so it shouldn't be too difficult to handle for him. Having played six rather tough matches from the semi finals of Madrid to the semifinals in Rome within 8 days was probably a lot more taxing for him than getting to the semi finals of RG.

If he wins somewhat comfortably tomorrow (preferably in less than 3 hours) he should be fine for the final with the day off on Saturday. If it turns out to be a gruelling match, the finalist from the bottom half might have an advantage depending on how much energy the winner of the Wawrinka - Murray match needed to invest to reach the final.

When you additionally consider that Novak probably spent significantly less time on court in getting to the semi finals than Murray did and a bit less than Wawrinka, he shouldn't be at too much of a disadvantage right now.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
No disadvantage whatsoever. The finale of the match against RBA took nothing out of him and neither did Berdych. Thiem probably won't even win a set either so it's not even a talking point with the schedule anymore.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
So, all these rain delays have unfortunately no impact. Both Andy and Novak get a day's rest and today actually Andy played 4 sets whereas Novak made quick work of Thiem. Only this is important and not the old history in the prior days.

However, even if you look at the entire RG, Andy played 6 more sets than he needed to (5,5,3,3,4,4), whereas Novak played only 1 more set than he needed to (3,3,3,4,3,3). While I don't have the exact figures Andy must have spent at least 4 more hours on court than Novak.