Nadal playing as if he feels like his career is over says Sampras, but he’ll be fine

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Nadal playing as if he feels like his career is over says Sampras, but he’ll be fine

I'm 100% agree with Sampras, and obviously he knows and understand about those problems more than any of us.

http://www.thenational.ae/sport/tennis/rafael-nadal-playing-as-if-he-feels-like-his-career-is-over-says-sampras-but-hell-be-fine

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
RE: 2015 ATP General Tennis News

Well, I love Pete but he never said a wrong thing in his life. According to the interview, whoever he was asked about "will get it right, definitely has more majors in him." Rafa, Roger, Andy, Becker, Rod Laver, they all will get it right, they're obviously doing the right things, "no reason why Laver can't add another calendar year slam to his collection...." :popcorn

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

Kieran said:
Well, I love Pete but he never said a wrong thing in his life. According to the interview, whoever he was asked about "will get it right, definitely has more majors in him." Rafa, Roger, Andy, Becker, Rod Laver, they all will get it right, they're obviously doing the right things, "no reason why Laver can't add another calendar year slam to his collection...." :popcorn

So because you never heard Pete display or say something disparaging, he must be a saint? I think not! I was a huge fan, proclaimed him the GOAT before Roger came along; even without a FO final to his resume! Without saying anything publically, I had a serious problem with some of his decisions concerning Davis Cup! One day he would say he "wasn't going to play," but would call and show up at the last minute like that great TIE final we had with Russia back in '95! That knocked out someone who had already committed I'm sure, but why should he care? Sampras along with Agassi, Courier, and the rest of the gang made a big deal out of getting John McEnroe as the coach of the team, then didn't play for him! The result was McEnroe resigning after only a year! Heaven knows the soap opera that was going on around that time when Pete was contributing as the ring-master! I hope that doesn't blow away your undying admiration for him! :cover :p :ras: :angel: :dodgy:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

Fiero425 said:
Kieran said:

So because you never heard Pete display or say something disparaging, he must be a saint? I think not! I was a huge fan, proclaimed him the GOAT before Roger came along; even without a FO final to his resume! Without saying anything publically, I had a serious problem with some of his decisions concerning Davis Cup! One day he would say he "wasn't going to play," but would call and show up at the last minute like that great TIE final we had with Russia back in '95! That knocked out someone who had already committed I'm sure, but why should he care? Sampras along with Agassi, Courier, and the rest of the gang made a big deal out of getting John McEnroe as the coach of the team, then didn't play for him! The result was McEnroe resigning after only a year! Heaven knows the soap opera that was going on around that time when Pete was contributing as the ring-master! I hope that doesn't blow away your undying admiration for him! :cover :p :ras: :angel: :dodgy:

Not even in the slightest, it's undiminishable. I don't think Pete is - or was - a saint, but he never courted publicity the way others do - and did. Pete was always classy, and he didn't do the humblebrag or sledging, he took it on the chin and got on with things. When interviewed, he can come across as being bland, but really, he's just not a PR hound. He'd rather play, and not have that fuss. I never bought the ignoramus mantra that Sampras was boring. Yeah, he was boring, like Shakespeare and Mozart are boring... :cover

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

Kieran said:
Fiero425 said:
Kieran said:

Not even in the slightest, it's undiminishable. I don't think Pete is - or was - a saint, but he never courted publicity the way others do - and did. Pete was always classy, and he didn't do the humblebrag or sledging, he took it on the chin and got on with things. When interviewed, he can come across as being bland, but really, he's just not a PR hound. He'd rather play, and not have that fuss. I never bought the ignoramus mantra that Sampras was boring. Yeah, he was boring, like Shakespeare and Mozart are boring... :cover

Well it's commendable you didn't go on a rant attacking what a posted! Take a bow! Thanks! :p :ras: - So many try to malign me or ask for proof! I consider myself a true historian and remember quite a bit without researching it! :popcorn :rolleyes: :angel: :dodgy:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

Fiero425 said:
Kieran said:
Fiero425 said:

Well it's commendable you didn't go on a rant attacking what a posted! Take a bow! Thanks! :p :ras: - So many try to malign me or ask for proof! I consider myself a true historian and remember quite a bit without researching it! :popcorn :rolleyes: :angel: :dodgy:

I don't mind if Pete did that. Top tennis players have long been ambivalent about the DC, and I don't blame them when they hedge their bets about playing. That was in 1995, I think, and although somebody else may have committed, he was representing his country - the other bloke would have deferred for the good of the team. I'd hope! Great win by Pete then, against Kafelnikov on clay, I think. Pete was always class. It'll be a cold day in hell before you ever hear me say anything derogatory about the Pistol...

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Kieran said:

Agree, Sampras always has been very "correct" talking about any player but what he says about Rafa is fighting against a mental struggle and anxiety is very obvious and clear and meanwhile he can't find his confidence again he will be in trauble. And that's why after to beat a player like Fog to whom he has beaten before so many times without any celebration he reacted that way after to win in Hamburg, a good proof of how low his confidence is, it doesn't matter to whom he beats, it doesn't matter how many GS and MS has won, it doesn't matter what superb player he is, right know he is thinking and feeling like when he was 16 years old in the beginning of his career, any win against anyone is great..........incredible but true
My question is, will it to last too long? will he recovery his confidence once and for all soon? will he give the surprise in Cincinnati or even better in the USO? he and only he has the answer

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

Pete talks about his own, similar slump, and he says that in contrast to Rafa (from what we can make out), Pete always still felt like he was the best player in the world. This is slightly problematical to scan, because actually he was going through a crisis of confidence, and even identity, as a player, changing coaches, changing his style of play, totally unsure of himself. So I don't believe him when he says he still felt like he was the best player in the world. I think he's misremembering it. In Wimbledon in 2002, his wife famously wrote him a love letter to be read on court, reminding him that he was the greatest. He opened it and read it, and a photographer snapped it. :cover

Point being, Pete was in a huge lull, and it wasn't until Paul Annacone returned as his coach, and told him some simple truth - "remember that you're Pete Sampras, and the other guy ain't" - and began to get him to play his old direct and aggressive way again, that he could win his last match - and major - at the US Open in 2002.

Rafa is similarly conflicted, and he's probably have to go through more furnace before he comes out the other side, either stronger, or melted away...

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

That Hamburg celebration was more of a "I won the tournament!" than a "I finally beat Fognini!" statement. At least that was my take on it.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
RE: Rafael Nadal playing as if he ‘feels like his career is over'

Fiero425 said:
Kieran said:
Fiero425 said:

I don't have a problem with you being a true historian. Is this a thread about Pete or Davis Cup? :snicker But, as usual, you managed to hijack the whole thread and that too right in the second post of the thread. :clap. Your prowess at this even higher than your history skills.

p.s. I am not a mod or anything close to that. Just having fun at your propensity to always go off topic. :)

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
RE: Rafael Nadal playing as if he ‘feels like his career is over’

Getting back to the topic. I agree with Pete on all counts. Rafa surely is playing as though his career is over. He is showing tremendous anxiety. These things are compounding, as anxiety leads to bad play and results, which causes further anxiety.

However, as Pete said Rafa will surely figure things out and come back and win at least one more grand slam. But, it is not going to happen this year.

But, unlike Carol35's expectation, there will not be much progress from Rafa in Cincy or at USO.
But, I do think he will qualify for WTF. Unfortunately, if he shows up there he might lose all three round robin matches (like he did once before), as he cannot contend with top 10 players in this year.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
RE: Rafael Nadal playing as if he ‘feels like his career is over’ says Samp.

GameSetAndMath said:
Fiero425 said:
Kieran said:

I don't have a problem with you being a true historian. Is this a thread about Pete or Davis Cup? :snicker But, as usual, you managed to hijack the whole thread and that too right in the second post of the thread. :clap. Your prowess at this even higher than your history skills.

p.s. I am not a mod or anything close to that. Just having fun at your propensity to always go off topic. :)

I already said my mind wanders; nothing new there! I thought I was on topic by giving my opinion of Sampras! DC just made my point that "he was no saint!" :p :angel: :dodgy: :ras:

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
RE: Nadal playing as if he feels like his career is over says Sampras, but he’ll be fine

Eh, I don't know. If I feel my career is over, I'll retire. Why would I even bother working hard? Now you can claim Rafa is worried he might not recover from this until the rest of his career, and he's starting to show anxiety as a result, but I don't think "feeling his career is over" is an accurate assessment.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Re: Rafa, by Pete

In fairness to Fiero, this wasn't started as a thread, it was taken from the general tennis news thread and planted here as a thread by a moderator, because me and Fiero start yapping. So he didn't go off topic, because there was no OP to show us the topic.

But that's not to say he wouldn't have gone off topic anyway. :snicker

Like I said, Pete thinks they'll all get it back and win majors, but when he says Rafa acts like he thinks his career is over, he's possibly letting slip a deeper feeling of his, one he didn't want to make explicitly and create headlines, which is that Rafa's interior struggles are much more animated and obvious than his were. But we all know that, anyway. If you stood in Dublin and asked Pete Sampras what time it is, he could tell you Vegas time and you wouldn't tell by looking at him that he was having you on. He was always capable of containing himself, whereas Rafa always lets his feelings be known, as by doing that, he gets them off his chest...

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
RE: Nadal playing as if he feels like his career is over says Sampras, but he’ll be fine

Right now I can't guess and see how Rafa is going to play in these next tournaments, not even the others players too because I don't have any crystal ball but I can say something that someone told me yesterday: What's going on with Nadal? it's looks like the beast is sleeping but he is going to wake up anytime soon and many things could change". I agree
I also agree with most of the things Sampras has said but not about Rafa is thinking that his career is over, come on, if he would think that way he would be right now fishing and taking care 100% with all his business but he knows better than anyone else that he has to change his "sleeping mind" that's all

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

Carol35 said:
Right now I can't guess and see how Rafa is going to play in these next tournaments, not even the others players too because I don't have any crystal ball but I can say something that someone told me yesterday: What's going on with Nadal? it's looks like the beast is sleeping but he is going to wake up anytime soon and many things could change". I agree
I also agree with most of the things Sampras has said but not about Rafa is thinking that his career is over, come on, if he would think that way he would be right now fishing and taking care 100% with all his business but he knows better than anyone else that he has to change his "sleeping mind" that's all

Pete didn't actually mean that Rafa thinks his career is over. He said that "when Rafa struggles, I think he feels like his career is over, just with some of the things he says." This is true, when you listen to some of the things Rafa says, where he plays down his future prospects and says he's happy with the career he's already had. Rafa being realistic, that things might never get back to where they were. Pete would never have admitted that, in his day. But there's obviously an exaggeration here too, to emphasise a point.

If Rafa felt his career was actually over, he'd end it...

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Kieran said:
Carol35 said:

Pete didn't actually mean that Rafa thinks his career is over. He said that "when Rafa struggles, I think he feels like his career is over, just with some of the things he says." This is true, when you listen to some of the things Rafa says, where he plays down his future prospects and says he's happy with the career he's already had. Rafa being realistic, that things might never get back to where they were. Pete would never have admitted that, in his day. But there's obviously an exaggeration here too, to emphasise a point.

I was reading two minutes ego in a Spanish newspaper what Rafa says: " I didn't play bad in Montreal, I think that I'm doing progress but we'll see, usually I don't do so well at the end of the year but I'm trying to work hard". I don't know what to think if he is positive or negative saying that :huh:
Like I said before, everything depends on him :dodgy:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
RE: Rafa, by Pete

Carol35 said:
Kieran said:
Carol35 said:

I was reading two minutes ego in a Spanish newspaper what Rafa says: " I didn't play bad in Montreal, I think that I'm doing progress but we'll see, usually I don't do so well at the end of the year but I'm trying to work hard". I don't know what to think if he is positive or negative saying that :huh:
Like I said before, everything depends on him :dodgy:

Yeah, but we have to scan what Rafa says and ask ourselves, "what's he saying that's so wrong?" He's actually saying what's true! We're so used to spin and bluff and bluster, but he tends to go this route. It's less burdensome for him, to unburden himself and get that out of the way. It doesn't mean that when he's 5-5 in the fith of his next slam final that his mind will be tormented. This is how Rafa speaks: brutally frank and on-topic.

As for how well he played in Montreal, he maybe judging it differently to how you or I would... :snicker

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Actually we kinda do know how Nadal will play at the next couple of tournaments: Not well.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

It really seems to be the #1 question in tennis: Can Rafa come back and, if so, to what degree? Roger came back after 2013, but he wasn't as good as he was in 2012 and before. In other words, Roger's 2014-15 has been a "late career plateau" that sees him as still an elite player, but not the player he was in 2010-12, let alone the player he was in 2009 and before.

But here's the question. Roger seems OK with being the #2-4 player in the world, winning a few tournaments here and there and having an outside chance at some of the Slams. But will Rafa be content to be second or third fiddle to Novak and Andy?

Again, I think clay court season next year will tell us a lot. Actually, I think January will tell us a lot. But Rafa has until clay season in 2016 to figure things out. If he doesn't by then, I think he'll retire by the end of next year.