Who was better, Sampras or Federer?

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
This is a tangent from the Novak surpassing Roger thread, one I thought worthy of its own thread. I was tempted to turn this in to a blog, but will leave it as is for now.

In the other thread, we were discussing the difference in context of the 90s game to the current game, and speculating about current greats would have done back there. This is what I wrote, but decided to post in its own thread...

The only connection we really have between the 90s era and the current era is that one 2001 Wimbledon match between Roger and Pete. It was declining Pete and rising Roger, but it gives us the only glimpse we can into the two different eras, 20 years apart (we also have some matches between Roger or Rafa and Agassi, but let's focus on this one for now).

So let's take a quick look at that match, just to get a sense of where they were in their respective careers. Clearly if we were to really compare the two we'd have to look at their whole careers, but this is the only match-up between the best players of two different eras, with a 10-year gap in their ages.

Pete was 29 years old, just a few months shy of 30. He was ranked #6 in the world, his lowest ranking since early 1992 - over 9 years. He hadn't won a Slam since the previous Wimbledon, which was his fourth in a row and seventh out of the last eight. He was struggling that year, having gone out in the 4R at the AO and 2R at FO, with no titles that year, but he had been #1 as recently as the prior November. Relative to his "prime peak" of 93-97 and his "plateau peak" of 92-00, I think we can say that Pete was similar in terms of decline as to what we've seen from Roger the last couple years, although even less consistent, and thus maybe slightly below Roger's current level (relative to their peaks).

As for Roger, he was 19 years old, just a few months shy of 20 - almost exactly 10 years younger. He was ranked #15 in the world, having just broken into the top 20 for the first time earlier that year. He wouldn't break through into the top 10 until May of 2002 when he won his first Masters (Madrid), the top 5 and his first Slam in 2003, and #1 in early 2004. When people think of Roger's absolute peak it is usually 2004-07, but he really became an elite player in 2003 when he was just a hair behind the year-end #1, Andy Roddick, in terms of points.

One way to look at it is that Pete and Roger passed each other, one on the way down, the other on the way up. They were both approximately two years from their peak levels, although both capable of excellent tennis. Probably the equivalent now in terms of career placement would be something like Dominic Thiem's defeat of Rafael Nadal. In fact, Rafa is almost exactly the same age Pete was when Roger defeated him, although that's where the comparison ends as Thiem is not only a few years older than Roger was, but almost certainly won't be nearly as good as Roger.

So we never got to see peak Sampras vs. peak Federer, but we did get to see a post-peak Sampras who was good enough to still be ranked #6 and win a Slam a year before play against a rising pre-peak Federer who was good enough to make two Slam QFs and finish the year #13. Pete was closer to his best (and a Slam title) than Roger was, but Roger had the benefit of being on the rise - so it is somewhat evened out.

And the result? Pretty darn close: 7-6, 5-7, 6-4, 6-7, 7-5 to Roger.

So I'm not going to go so far as to say that we can extrapolate that to the peak forms of both players and say they were probably even, but I don't think that would be completely false either. Also, this was on grass - chances are Roger would have had the edge on most hards and clay, so I think I'd give Roger the edge. But again, we're talking a hair's difference at most.

By the way, you can watch the match here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrDW4MF_xMI

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Ok, great thread. I will take my stab.

First, I had the privelege of watching Pete play matches and practice, many times, in person. And of course, hundreds of times on tv. Same with Rog.

I think Federer was a superior player in every regard except for the first serve, and the forehand volley.

Other than that his forehand, back hand, service return, movement, and fitness are on another level. As a matter of fact, with the forehand it is not even close. Pete had a great forehand, but it had one thing that I can't let slide and that it was very inconsistent.

Pete was very fleet of foot, but Roger had superior balance.

What Pete did have was laser focus, the perfect tennis demeanor, and quiet confidence.

I also fall back on the words of those players who played them both like Agassi, Safin, Hewitt etc.

Agassi said Federer was another level, period.

Now, that Wimbledon match is interesting because Pete CLEARLY was not done with his career..he went on to win another slam, and Roger was not anywhere near his ascension.

Roger beat Sampras on a surface he dominated for ten years..and hear this...playing a style he would ABANDON completely..serving and volleying..in other words, he beat Pete not even using most of his strengths...his ground strokes, etc.

I actually think the 34 year old Roger would beat that same Sampras from 2001 even worse..a drubbing in fact.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Very good post, Dude. I agree that the match between them doesn't hold much value in telling us what would happen if they were both at their best, it's still a great historic moment in the game that they met, and that it was such a great match. As to your main questions, I think this was answered very well quite recently. :devil

In these fantasy match-ups, my own imagination is more attracted by the idea of a war between the two ultimate alpha-male dogs I've ever seen on tour, Rafa v Pete. But tennis.com answered that one too! :laydownlaughing

Pete tends to get overlooked because we have the most promiscuous record-breaking era we've seen, but even that poses a lot of questions, as much as it provides any answers. And some people don't like the questions.

And some people don't like the answers.

But still, Pete gets unappreciated and overlooked. It's as if we get fixated on the modern at the expense of everything else, and forget about the past. Just because records got broken. Interestingly today I read in the London Sunday Times that the legendary sports journalist Hugh McIlvanney is retiring. There's an interview with him which caused me many times to nod my head in agreement. Is Messi the greatest player he's ever seen? McIlvanney is 82, he's seen a lot. Wayne Rooney scored more goals for England than Bobby Charlton: is he better than him? McIlvanney's reply was to say that "forgetting what happened in the past, and imagining that everything that's occurring now to be the best, is just a failure of intelligence." He denies "wallowing in nostalgia" but instead, "I prefer to believe I deal in perspective."

I think Pete gets overlooked, probably because since he's retired he's remained typically classy and low key, and also because the rivalries have been so prominent and exhilarating, the changes the sport experienced made them accessible and undeniable, and therefore the greatness of the past seemed more like a prologue than a chapter in the tale. Who'd be the greater player if they peaked at the same time? A pity for us that we didn't get to see it... ;)

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
Very good post, Dude. I agree that the match between them doesn't hold much value in telling us what would happen if they were both at their best, it's still a great historic moment in the game that they met, and that it was such a great match. As to your main questions, I think this was answered very well quite recently. :devil

In these fantasy match-ups, my own imagination is more attracted by the idea of a war between the two ultimate alpha-male dogs I've ever seen on tour, Rafa v Pete. But tennis.com answered that one too! :laydownlaughing

Pete tends to get overlooked because we have the most promiscuous record-breaking era we've seen, but even that poses a lot of questions, as much as it provides any answers. And some people don't like the questions.

And some people don't like the answers.

But still, Pete gets unappreciated and overlooked. It's as if we get fixated on the modern at the expense of everything else, and forget about the past. Just because records got broken. Interestingly today I read in the London Sunday Times that the legendary sports journalist Hugh McIlvanney is retiring. There's an interview with him which caused me many times to nod my head in agreement. Is Messi the greatest player he's ever seen? McIlvanney is 82, he's seen a lot. Wayne Rooney scored more goals for England than Bobby Charlton: is he better than him? McIlvanney's reply was to say that "forgetting what happened in the past, and imagining that everything that's occurring now to be the best, is just a failure of intelligence." He denies "wallowing in nostalgia" but instead, "I prefer to believe I deal in perspective."

I think Pete gets overlooked, probably because since he's retired he's remained typically classy and low key, and also because the rivalries have been so prominent and exhilarating, the changes the sport experienced made them accessible and undeniable, and therefore the greatness of the past seemed more like a prologue than a chapter in the tale. Who'd be the greater player if they peaked at the same time? A pity for us that we didn't get to see it... ;)

Good post.

My ultimate take is that Pete is indeed a bit over looked.

But truth be told there are some reasons for it. Let's face it. He was far more one dimensional than Federer or Nole.

Both Nole's and Fed's games are like puzzles..the pieces fit together nearly perfectly. Remove one element, and another will rise to compensate.

Take way Sampras's first serve and IMO 75% of his efficacy is gone. On a personal level, the fact that he ushered in the baggy era is something I can't ever forgive.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Luxilon Borg said:
Take way Sampras's first serve and IMO 75% of his efficacy is gone. On a personal level, the fact that he ushered in the baggy era is something I can't ever forgive.

"Take away Sampras's first serve?" If only they could! But of course, he still had the second serve.

As for the baggy shorts, I dunno. I grew up playing in the short-shorts era. You think Rafa is bad with wedgies now? imagine him back then! :snicker

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
Luxilon Borg said:

"Take away Sampras's first serve?" If only they could! But of course, he still had the second serve.

As for the baggy shorts, I dunno. I grew up playing in the short-shorts era. You think Rafa is bad with wedgies now? imagine him back then! :snicker

Yes, Pete essentially had two first serves. Try that today. His double fault rate was alarming in my opinion.

There has to be a happy medium!!! No way I ever want the short shorts era coming back but baggy look was nauseating..For the record, no one else seems to have the wedgie issues aside from the Bull!!

Rafa can clearly afford better underpants.:lolz:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Luxilon Borg said:
Rafa can clearly afford better underpants.:lolz:

Rafa advertises knickers for big posh fashion houses. He's obviously doing it right and the rest of us are wrong... :snicker :lolz:

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
I've seen that Wimbeldon match a couple of times. It's always interesting to see the huge strides Roger made between winning that match and winning his first Wimbledon in 2003.

If you break it down by surface - Roger had the edge at Wimbledon. He definitely would have had the edge on clay. He'd have had a slight edge on hard courts. And indoors without the elements - edge goes to Federer, too.

To paraphrase what Roger said a few years ago when he was asked about how he thinks he would have fared playing Sampras in both of their primes, "I'd have won some. And he'd have won some."

Overall, I think prime Federer had more power than prime Sampras. Seeing what Roger was able to do in blunting Roddick's best weapon - his serve (all of the big servers, really) - I'm not even entirely sure that Pete would have had the edge serving because Roger returns better than Pete did.

Basically - I'm going with Fed over Sampras on every surface except clay by a hair. On clay - no contest. That would have been like watching Rafa vs. Fed on clay. Love me some Roger...but he lost a crapload of matches to Nadal on clay. Was it - 14 or his 23 losses to Nadal were on clay? Just a bad match up for Roger (and on clay at least for just about everybody else for 10 years). Clay was never Sampras' strong suit. Way too slow for his serve and groundies.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Haha, I'm more confused then ever - everyone makes a good argument, although it seems like the weight (so far) is towards Roger.

Kieran, do you think that Pete would have fared better against Rafa than Roger did? If so, why?

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
El Dude said:
Haha, I'm more confused then ever - everyone makes a good argument, although it seems like the weight (so far) is towards Roger.

Kieran, do you think that Pete would have fared better against Rafa than Roger did? If so, why?

Personally, i think aside from a really fast indoor court, and the slickest grass, sampras takes a pounding from rafa. Just my take.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
El Dude said:

Well, these two are the great modern alpha dogs. As I said, Pete brooked no arguments: none of his historic rivals could dominate him the way Rafa dominates Roger. And at his best, Rafa dominated his rivals. So we're talking about two peculiarly territorial creatures who'd squabble mightily over the same patch of turf. Pete wouldn't be content to wait for Rafa to be knocked out by somebody else, or be injured. He'd have to settle scores. And Rafa was always like a devouring beast, almost without feeling as he remorseless hunted the "W".

Firstly, on fast 90's grass or on clay, there'd be no contest. Pete on grass, Rafa on clay. Even modern grass, Pete would win because he'd take Rafa's time away from him. He wouldn't fiddle about on the baseline and allow Rafa to cage him in the corner. I don't know whether Roger tried enough to change the dynamic against Rafa, or that everything he tried failed. For ten years the old wiseacres told Roger, "angle the backhand! Hit more dropshots! Run around the backhand! Slice it down the line! Go for broke!" Lots of ideas, and I don't know if Roger ever fully committed to them, the way Novak committed himself to chasing Rafa, then Rafa adjusted his game to reverse the flow there. But I think Pete wouldn't sleep at night knowing that another player owned him like that, especially in a such an historic way.

Would it work? I don't know. Rafa at his mighty best was virtually indestructable. I never saw a player plumb the depths of such intensity like that before. Pete was cold, and hard, and maybe the most economic constructor of points I ever saw. I remember sitting with my mother watching him in a Wimbledon final against Agassi, and everything Pete did seemed to have purpose and strength and a wonderful Greek logic to it. Brevity and sublime precision. My mother didn't like Pete (she was like Luxilon Borg in that :p ) and she said, "gawd he's boring to watch. It's just serve and volley and nothing else."

Yeah, boring like science is boring. Like Shakespeare is boring. Like Mozart, etc. But would it work against Rafa? I honestly don't know, but it would be the biggest brawl that I can imagine...

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
To me Sampras has been one of the most boring tennis player that I remember and not just his game but also his personality :cover

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Carol35 said:
To me Sampras has been one of the most boring tennis player that I remember and not just his game but also his personality :cover

Fortunately Carol, we don't have to spend any time in the company of great tennis players. We just have to watch them play tennis. Pete's "personality" - much as we can glean from watching him on telly - was sufficient to the task of winning great tennis matches... :)

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
Well, if you consider the Sampras and Rafa at their respect peaks, Sampras would beat Nadal easily on grass. As we all know, Sampras was a good server and one of the best grass court players. He was one of the best serve and volley players. All these things would cause Nadal to huff and puff on the grass courts when up against him. We should also remember that Rafa tends to struggle against big servers. Does this mean he would struggle to face Pete's service also? I think he would.

On old faster outdoor hard courts, I think Sampras would prevail most of the times. On indoor hard courts, Sampras would have the clear edge. Only on clay, I think, Nadal would have been able to dominate Sampras.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Carol35 said:

His 14 slam trophies that he polishes every few months are not boring, I bet.

6 straight years finishing #1 is not boring. But I hear you.

Some say he was not boring, but rather "professional".

Maybe if Agassi was more boring he would have had 14 slams too.:D

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Luxilon Borg said:
Carol35 said:

Boring is nothing to do with a good game or in Sampras case a good serve and volley. He did well but to me I rather to watch Monfils who can't polishes many trophies because his vitrine is almost empty but...he is not boring and has more variation of shots :cool:

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
If I remember well Roger beat Sampras when this last one was almost in the end of his career, a visible decline, correct?

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Carol35 said:
If I remember well Roger beat Sampras when this last one was almost in the end of his career, a visible decline, correct?

Sampras was NOT on the decline. He went on to the US Open final that year and went on to win the US Open the next year.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Carol35 said:
Luxilon Borg said:
Carol35 said:

Boring is nothing to do with a good game or in Sampras case a good serve and volley. He did well but to me I rather to watch Monfils who can't polishes many trophies because his vitrine is almost empty but...he is not boring and has more variation of shots :cool:

Winning is not boring. :p

Monfils will be a footnote in tennis history, and Sampras will be on top ten lists.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Luxilon Borg said:
Carol35 said:

Sampras was NOT on the decline. He went on to the US Open final that year and went on to win the US Open the next year.

When I say 'decline' I don't mean that he couldn't have won any more titles but when he was 29 year old he lost to Safin and later to Hewitt in the USO and also to Roger in Wimbledon. Changing the coach he won the USO later which was his last GS win.
My point is that he wasn't on his best when he lost those matches besides he got some injuries which didn't help him too much