Which match was better? RG 2011 Fed vs Djokovic or RG 2015 Wawrinka vs Djokovic?

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
both players beat Novak at RG thus stopped him winning the grand slam when Novak was in the best shape of his life. They both played amazing hitting tons of winners, and neither had managed to repeat that level since.....it was without doubt an insane level they were playing at, which match do you think was better?

Last edited:

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Personally I think the 2015 final was better. It was more surprising, and when Stanimal is in the house there are precious few things as impressive to see. I actually think that Novak's level was higher in 2015 as well. I know he had the pressure of taking his first RG, but in 2011 he had every right to almost want to look past Federer to meeting and beating Rafa in the final

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Intriguing question, I thought. I went back to look at highlights, and I would say the 2011. It had more fizz, and was more in doubt to right at the end. While the highlights of the 2015 final show a very good Djokovic, I also remember him holding back a bit, after the first, getting rather cautious, playing more not to lose, which gave Stan more and more confidence to swing away. It was the more surprising outcome, based on odds, of course, but I still thought, shot by shot, the earlier one was a rather better match. Funny, this reminded me of how poor the Fed/Djoker match was a year later at RG. Both seemed to be playing to lose, even though I think Novak ended up winning in straights. But it was an awful match.

Reactions: mrzz

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
For me I thought in 2015 Novak chose to play more defensive and while it’s usually good enough but not against Stanimal who was clearly too powerful to not hit through him (and not miss on that day). Whereas his offensive play was much more penetrating in 2011, his defence was always first class so it was in my book better balance of tennis from him. I think in his interview he had no regret about the loss as he did everything he wanted to do and executed all aspects of his game well, only he didn’t win. It was the only match he said that after a loss, I remember.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
For me I thought in 2015 Novak chose to play more defensive and while it’s usually good enough but not against Stanimal who was clearly too powerful to not hit through him (and not miss on that day). Whereas his offensive play was much more penetrating in 2011, his defence was always first class so it was in my book better balance of tennis from him. I think in his interview he had no regret about the loss as he did everything he wanted to do and executed all aspects of his game well, only he didn’t win. It was the only match he said that after a loss, I remember.
I'm not clear...which match do you think was better?

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Personally I think the 2015 final was better. It was more surprising, and when Stanimal is in the house there are precious few things as impressive to see. I actually think that Novak's level was higher in 2015 as well. I know he had the pressure of taking his first RG, but in 2011 he had every right to almost want to look past Federer to meeting and beating Rafa in the final
Actually he didn’t, as Federer was performing on par with him in 2011 RG....both were the standouts while Rafa was below himself. Of course we all know Federer laid an egg in the final, the last three sets anyway, against his nemesis. In a way it’s similar to this AO, both Nadal and Novak played awesome coming into the final (particular Rafa the whole tournament) then absolutely didn’t show up in the final. I don’t care if some clueless say it was all Novak, Rafa playing anywhere near decent simply won’t get smacked like that, no matter how Novak plays.

Reactions: The_Grand_Slam

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm not clear...which match do you think was better?
I think Fed beat a Novak who played better overall game, so a better match for me. In 2015 he was more restrained, and Stan absolutely overpowered him. Obviously in hind sight one can say he could’ve changed strategy to be more offensive, but probably he thought Stan would crumble if he could weather the storm.....Stan would have none of it. Funny enough for someone considered as being mentally fragile Stan is tough as nails in slam finals more often than not.

Reactions: tented

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Actually he didn’t, as Federer was performing on par with him in 2011 RG....both were the standouts while Rafa was below himself. Of course we all know Federer laid an egg in the final, the last three sets anyway, against his nemesis. In a way it’s similar to this AO, both Nadal and Novak played awesome coming into the final (particular Rafa the whole tournament) then absolutely didn’t show up in the final. I don’t care if some clueless say it was all Novak, Rafa playing anywhere near decent simply won’t get smacked like that, no matter how Novak plays.
That’s ok. We agree to disagree. I think Novak was a better player in 2015 and his level was consequentially higher. I can understand others being impressed with the streak though

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That’s ok. We agree to disagree. I think Novak was a better player in 2015 and his level was consequentially higher. I can understand others being impressed with the streak though
I have to disagree, the reasons are clear. Novak played that version of Federer who in 2011was playing in good form which set him up to getting to no1 in 2012, a stronger version than 2015, by any measure. He also beat prime Rafa time after time, in fact apart from RG he basically couldn’t be beat all the way till end of USO...and we know he was gassing out because he was performing at such high revs, and that couldn’t be sustained. Whereas in 2015 he was definitely playing a notch lower level, but that allowed him to do it till end of year so he finished better. Looking through, he lost several times to a weaker version of Federer, who was on his way to a crap 2016 (to take a break later), also lost to Murray and to Karlovic so apart from his RG loss to Stan he was more beatable if we limit comparison to end of USO, as he gassed out in 11. Also Nadal was a non factor in 2015, otherwise I could see more losses potentially.

So nobody is simplistic enough to base it on streak only you think of that, actually the ‘I think’ and ‘....consequentially higher’ is poor reasoning, and in fact lack of...imo.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

I always thought Novak's dominance in 2011 was more impressive, but he couldn't keep it up and did next to nothing after the US Open that year. So overall 2015 was the greater year but I think Novak's top level in 2011 was higher than 2015. It felt like he was just absolutely on fire for the first 9 months.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I always thought Novak's dominance in 2011 was more impressive, but he couldn't keep it up and did next to nothing after the US Open that year. So overall 2015 was the greater year but I think Novak's top level in 2011 was higher than 2015. It felt like he was just absolutely on fire for the first 9 months.
Just watching his matches till USO was pretty obvious to see, as many fans have noted. He did nothing after USO in 2011 but finished great in 2015 which was the only reason it was a greater year.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
And as for the matches I will be a bit biased but I thought the 2011 one was better. In 2015 the first set was kind of what we expected coming in, Novak super solid and Wawrinka just a bit too erratic. But then Stan just transformed to Stanimal and started hitting even harder and wasn't missing often. It's true Novak was a little passive at times but part of that was Stan rattling him a bit.

2011 became a bit more dramatic at the end because if I remember correctly they were going to suspend play after the 4th TB as it was getting close to dark. It had more twists throughout. I think Novak was up a break in the 4th set and serving for it and couldn't hold it. Roger was on fire in the 2nd and Nole returned the favor in the 3rd.

Reactions: Moxie

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yes Roger played some wicked tennis to break back in 4th set and managed to just finish it off in the tie breaker. Wouldn’t like his chances if they were to play the fifth. Rome 2006 final and that RG match are his marquee matches on clay, fair to say.

Reactions: Moxie

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I have to disagree, the reasons are clear. Novak played that version of Federer who in 2011was playing in good form which set him up to getting to no1 in 2012, a stronger version than 2015, by any measure. He also beat prime Rafa time after time, in fact apart from RG he basically couldn’t be beat all the way till end of USO...and we know he was gassing out because he was performing at such high revs, and that couldn’t be sustained. Whereas in 2015 he was definitely playing a notch lower level, but that allowed him to do it till end of year so he finished better. Looking through, he lost several times to a weaker version of Federer, who was on his way to a crap 2016 (to take a break later), also lost to Murray and to Karlovic so apart from his RG loss to Stan he was more beatable if we limit comparison to end of USO, as he gassed out in 11. Also Nadal was a non factor in 2015, otherwise I could see more losses potentially.

So nobody is simplistic enough to base it on streak only you think of that, actually the ‘I think’ and ‘....consequentially higher’ is poor reasoning, and in fact lack of...imo.
Again I disagree. A mythology gets built up about levels quite often. We have to go back to the tape. In my opinion - mine - Novak was a better player in 2015 than 2011. Now if you're not basing your perception of Novak's level in 2011 on the fact that he was unbeaten, all I can say is that it takes 2 to tango. I'll maintain my opinion that a match in which Novak was playing well, but attempting "don't lose" tennis in 2015, when he was far more ingrained in his belief of his own superiority and dominance, he attained a higher level than in 2011. That's my view. Your original question was which match did we think was better. That's a subjective question mate. There can be no absolutes there. If you believe it's 2011, and every other person on the planet believed you, it wouldn't matter. I still say 2015. My view would be just as valid as everyone elses ;)

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I get that. And I'm not surprised that's the prevailing view. For the record one of the matches I re-watch more than almost any other. You and I both know which match I watch the most! :D Is the 2011 US Open final between Novak and Rafa. I think that was tennis of a really high level and insanely brutal. I'm in awe of it

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Again I disagree. A mythology gets built up about levels quite often. We have to go back to the tape. In my opinion - mine - Novak was a better player in 2015 than 2011. Now if you're not basing your perception of Novak's level in 2011 on the fact that he was unbeaten, all I can say is that it takes 2 to tango. I'll maintain my opinion that a match in which Novak was playing well, but attempting "don't lose" tennis in 2015, when he was far more ingrained in his belief of his own superiority and dominance, he attained a higher level than in 2011. That's my view. Your original question was which match did we think was better. That's a subjective question mate. There can be no absolutes there. If you believe it's 2011, and every other person on the planet believed you, it wouldn't matter. I still say 2015. My view would be just as valid as everyone elses ;)

Two things stood out, in 2011 he beat a stronger Federer yet lost several times against weaker Federer in 2015. Also he beat top level Nadal like 6 times in a row, and in 2015 Rafa was a shadow of himself....who couldn’t even tango. Of course you can say your view is as valid as anyone, as your argument, then good for you.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I get that. And I'm not surprised that's the prevailing view. For the record one of the matches I re-watch more than almost any other. You and I both know which match I watch the most! :D Is the 2011 US Open final between Novak and Rafa. I think that was tennis of a really high level and insanely brutal. I'm in awe of it
Physically more brutal like their other matches, but first two sets vs Fed was the best quality. Seems like physical dueling out is how you judge level, sorry but it’s worth a laugh. Fed or Stan on fire simply wouldn’t let Novak get that many balls back, so while Rafa vs Novak is still amazing, quality >> quantity.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
2015 was unpredictable, it was funny to see Stan win

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Physically more brutal like their other matches, but first two sets vs Fed was the best quality. Seems like physical dueling out is how you judge level, sorry but it’s worth a laugh. Fed or Stan on fire simply wouldn’t let Novak get that many balls back, so while Rafa vs Novak is still amazing, quality >> quantity.
ha! Interesting you try to infer from my like of that one match the type of matches I think reflect a high level. Good try but no cigar

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I can hardly separate the two matches. However, I think Federer was insane in 2011. He played at an amazing level and I didn’t give him a chance going into that match, considering how dominant Djokovic was in 2011.