Which has been greater at the US Open: Nadal's overachieving or Djokovic's/Federer's underachieving?

Which has been greater at the US Open: Nadal's overachieving or Djokovic's/Federer's underachieving?

• Nadal's overachieving

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Djokovic's/Federer's underachieving

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
He could have done it to plant seed in everyone's mind...and what would he accomplish exactly? Fans on message boards arguing about it? Seriously, how did that benefit him? Which player went "damn I was starting to think Nadal is chopped liver but I guess he might be hurt."

Lol.....look at how well it worked. When everyone looks back on that match, they think about Nadal's retirement and most people give him a pass for the loss, saying "he was hurt." Maybe you personally don't care about such things, but you shouldn't presume to speak for everyone.

What would he accomplish exactly? Maintaining a mental edge over others with the notion that he supposedly can't be beaten unless he is hurt. And, like I said - look at how well it's worked. Everyone gives him that excuse to this day.

On one hand, we have a guy who's known to be a fighter, to never give up,

Yes, he pushes himself to his limits and has better stamina than everyone, but that doesn't mean he is invincible either.

who proceeded to miss the rest of the season. The last part in particular, is the damming evidence.

A part of the season that he has always had a tendency to play a limited schedule during. Do you seriously think he would have skipped Rome or Roland Garros if they were in October/November?

On the other hand, we have unfounded theories that don't especially add up as they are inconsistent with Nadal's patterns and behavior.

How the hell is a limited autumn schedule inconsistent with Nadal's playing history?

His gamesmanship has the purpose to try and win matches. It's not about throwing in the towel. It never was.

Those aren't the only two choices. You can retire to send a message . It's not just about "quitting" or sulking.

It's a lot easier to say "you beat me because I was hurt and tired" rather than "you straight up beat me."

Now, as far as your second question, it's really the laziest issue anyone raises in these arguments. Of course he could have played another set. 95% of retirements that occur late in a match (and I'd argue it's more than that) consist of guys who theoretically could have finished their matches. It's rarely a case of someone just not being able to function anymore. That's not the issue. The issue is you're suggesting it wasn't about an injury but fatigue.

What I said was that the loss was mainly about fatigue. Nadal was moving just fine in the first set but he lost it, knowing that with limited energy after the Thiem loss he had a huge uphill battle in front of him trying to come back against Delpo. When you're tired injuries become more pronounced and difficult to bear - especially if you're losing.

Also, for you to downplay the mindgame aspect here is, characteristically on your part, oblivious. Nadal (just like Djokovic against Wawrinka) did not want the tennis world to see Delpo put a 6-1 or 6-0 set or worse on him on one of tennis's biggest stages with everyone watching. So he retired to put an asterisk in everyone's mind about Delpo's win. And, like I said, it has clearly worked because that's how most people remember it.

I'm saying that's silly since he missed the rest of the season.

And if Rome and Roland Garros were in October/November, I assure you he would have returned sooner.

I don't think playing an extra set would necessarily have damaged him that much further. But in these circumstances, you're playing, you're hurting, you're losing, and you know your body, your mindset, your chances at turning things around, and make a decision accordingly.

Yes, and one factor as well is if you want to stand on the court while getting humiliated on the scoreboard. Nadal did not want Delpo to do a 6-1 or 6-0 set on him. By retiring he gave the world a very convenient excuse of "I was hurt."

Btw, do I blame him? No, not at all. I think it was smart. Not only did he avoid further injury, he also put an asterisk in most people's minds about Delpo's victory.

But you and Moxie are too psychologically disconnected to realize what he was doing and you would prefer to attribute the highest virtue to him because he's your favorite player. And, again, I am not even saying that I have a problem with what Nadal did there (I think Hamburg 2008 was much worse). I just think it is ridiculous to deny it.

Last edited: