Which players have peaked, and who has another octave?

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
In another thread, I wrote:

...development usually doesn't happen linearly: meaning, getting a bit better in a consistent fashion over time. The norm is that players have breakthroughs - things click, and they take a big leap forward, and we shouldn't assume this is because of steroids, when in fact it is just how most players develop.

This is actually synonymous with a concept from evolutionary biology: punctuated equilibrium, in which evolution involves long periods of stability punctuated by evolutionary jumps.

When players develop, it is sort of like climbing a multi-story building, but hanging out at least level for awhile (consolidation). Eventually all players plateau at a "peak," beyond which they won't improve further. This usually occurs somewhere in the age 22-25 range (give or take). In rare cases, it happens later, and a player finds another gear in their later 20s, perhaps through getting more serious or fixing an ongoing problem (e.g. Stan Wawrinka).

IMO, the best candidate for Stan-esque late 20s jump is Nick Kyrgios. The talent is there, but whether or not he'll take things seriously enough to maximize his talent remains to be seen.

I thought this was a worthy topic for its own thread (and thankfully one that should be relatively immune to GOAT argument spats!)

To add a bit more. The proverbial "Lost Gen" is now in their early 30s, or will be by the end of next year, so I think we can safely assume that they've peaked and begun to decline. In fact, they probably peaked half a decade ago, when Grigor Dimitrov won the WTF and Nishikori and Raonic were still fixtures in the second week of Slams.

Next Gen--which I have typically seen as players born in the 1994-98 range, but prefer to include Dominic Thiem (Sept, 1993) and kind of see Casper Ruud (Dec, 1998) as veering into the Millenial Gen--is finishing the 2022 season as age 24-28, meaning tennis prime years. So one would think that they're peaking right now - at least as a whole cohort.

And of course the next gen, or what I call Millenial Gen (born 1999-2003) is just starting to make some serious waves, and mostly be two of its youngest members, with both Alcaraz and Rune born in 2003. As good as they've both been this year, I think it is safe to say that they're still a couple years from peaking. And this seems true of players like Felix Auger-Aliassime (born 2000) and Jannik Sinner (2001), both of whom seem to have more upside to fulfill. I'd add Musetti to this list, as well as maybe Sebastian Korda and one or two others.

But if we imagine a line before which are players who have not yet reached their peak, and after which are players who are as good as they'll ever be, which Next Genners have already reached their peak? I'm not talking about titles won, but in terms of seeing their best level.

I think we've seen the best we're going to see from Daniil Medvedev. He had a rough 2022, but the player he was in 2021 was his peak form and the question is whether he can get back to that level. If he can, I could see him finishing his career with 2-4 Slams and a few more big titles.

I'm unsure about guys like Zverev, Tsitsipas, Rublev, Hurkacz, Berretini, Ruud, Tiafoe, Fritz, etc. I see them in groups, in terms of what I see their actual upside as:

I think both Zverev and Tsitsipas have another "half-step" possible, but it is entirely mental. Meaning, I think we've seen their best level of play, but not consistently so.

I'd like to say Rublev has another octave, but I don't think so - I think he's going to continue being what he's been the last few years, and because of that I see a Masters or two in his future but probably not a Slam, unless magic strikes. I see Hurkacz and Berretini in a similar category: Solid second tier types and candidates for darkhorse Slams, but more likely maxing out at Masters titles.

Half a step behind those guys, for me, are Ruud, Tiafoe, Fritz, as well as Masters winners like Coric, Khachanov, and Norrie. I don't see any of these guys winning Slams, except for maybe one random opportunistic Slam amongst all of them. Ruud probably deserves to be in the group above this one, but he just seems like more of a high floor guy to me, but without that "extra something" to be a serious Slam threat...sort of like David Goffin at his best, or maybe Kei Nishikori. In the loss to Alcaraz I saw a guy with a nice, high floor, but when facing the types of players who reach Slam finals, his A game isn't going to match up, so it will always be the other guy's Slam to lose.

Finally, there are two guys that I see as wildcards: Nick Kyrgios and Denis Shapovalov. As I mentioned, I can see a scenario where Kyrgios has a Stanimal-esque run. Chances are against it--that sort of run is, well, it has only really happened once. But it can also happen in a smaller fashion; maybe Nick has a magical Australian Open and wins it, or maybe he just sprinkles in a Masters or two.

Shapo could continue as-is for years and end up with a rather disappointing career. Or, perhaps with the right coach, could clean up his game and take a big leap forward, and at least join the "Masters threat list" with guys like Rublev and Berretini.

Thoughts?

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
@El Dude you pretty much summed it up already.

I see Berettinni as a better player than Hurkacz, he just needs to work on his backhand, it's a total weakness in his game. He is also struggling with injuries too much which is a huge factor.

For me the biggest unknown is how Zverev will come back after the injury and will he ever be the same player again. He has a lot of mental hurdles to overcome too and you don't learn that, he is just not born with mental toughness.

Tsitsipas had a disapointing season despite the rankings, but I do like his clay game. If he gets to work harder he can win RG, but at this point he is not good enough on other surfaces.

Ruud reminds me of David Ferrer, he will get a very good carrer, he will be consistent and win tournaments and go regularly to 2nd week of slams, but something is missing, no extra gear.

I hope Coric goes on some insane run at a slam and becomes invincible for 2 weeks, sort of like Cilic did when the stars aligned.

I don't know what to think of Shapovalov. He doesn't look serious enough, like he is not fully committed. He does have a flashy game, but he seems stalling. I don't see much improvement from him. I think Tiafoe has improved a lot, started working with Ferreira who admitted that Frances can do a lot better with regards to training and eating regime and it was visible this USO.

I also hope Nick K. tries harder and wins Wimbledon one day.

Medvedev probably already peaked and is carrying a lot of mental scars from AO final. I am sure he regrets that one a lot, but he can win more slams if he becomes focused on tennis again and stays injury free.

Hopefully, Sinner and FAA will further raise their level in the next year or two and become tough competitors for anyone.

Will we ever see Thiem back to top 10 let's say? It looks very doubtful at this point.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Good stuff, @don_fabio . Sounds like a lot of similar thoughts.

It is a interesting how FAA and Shapo--both Canadians--have a similar profile in terms of lots of game, but not a lot of results. That's changing for FAA and I think he'll take the next step forward in 2023 and at least win a Masters, a seriously challenge for Slams. FAA has more game than Shapo - more weapons, and without any clear deficiencies except his weak second serve (last time I checked, at least).

And yes, Ruud doesn't have that extra gear. But he'll be around.

Berretini may have slightly higher upside than Hurkacz...I just see those two, along with Rublev, in a group - as the new "second tier." Ruud, too.

So ignoring Rafa and Novak, I see the new tour forming up as:

Super-elites (Tier 1A; #1s, potential ATGs, multi-Slam winners): Alcaraz, Rune
Elites (Tier 1B; Top 5, Slam contenders): Sinner, FAA, Medvedev, Zverev, Tsitsipas
Semi-elites (Tier 2; Top 10, Slam darkhorses, Masters winners): Ruud, Rublev, Berretini, Hurkacz, Musetti?
Good players (Tier 3 - Top 20): Coric, Tiafoe, Fritz, Shapo, Khachanov, Norrie, De Minaur, Baez? Korda? Cerundolo? Fokina? Kekmanovic? Draper? Nakashima? Brooksby?

If Medvedev gets over the AO, he might join 1A for a few years. Sinner and FAA also have a chance of joining them. Lots of flex in Tiers 2-3.

Reactions: don_fabio

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It is a interesting how FAA and Shapo--both Canadians--have a similar profile in terms of lots of game, but not a lot of results. That's changing for FAA and I think he'll take the next step forward in 2023 and at least win a Masters, a seriously challenge for Slams. FAA has more game than Shapo - more weapons, and without any clear deficiencies except his weak second serve (last time I checked, at least).
From what I've read the other day about FAA, it looks like he had kind of a "Neo" moment after the win against Novak in Laver's Cup. He said he started to believe and that translated to his recent rise in form and a few tournaments won. So he went from a loser mentality to I can handle this and besides Rune he is maybe the most talked about in a last few weeks.

Let's see if he can deliver more in a next season, but it started to look promising with recent results.

Reactions: El Dude

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I like the thread, and good follow-ups from @don_fabio.Just a couple of random comments. I think it's too soon to "trade" on Medvedev. He's a bit wobbly in the head, but he is the proven deal, and he knows that. Plus, he does have a strong game, when it's on, and especially when the surface suits him.

I hate to say this, but I don't think we can just talk about Zverev as if nothing happened. Look how much Thiem has had troubles coming back from injury, and he's mentally sturdier. And his injury less-severe, I think it's fair to say. I think I mentioned on the predictions thread you started that I'm going to be curious to see how Zed comes back. Likewise Thiem. Not sure what to think about Tsitsipas...he could go either way.

Sinner is has stalled a bit, but he's young.

I would add Korda into the mix. I think he has up-side.

Reactions: don_fabio

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Tsitsipas & Zverev have peaked, their mental strength wavered when they had a real chance to grab a Slam, and now with Alcaraz, Rune, Sinner & Felix picking up steam their chance is quickly vanishing.

The Crown Princes chances to hold the actual royal scepter is gone.

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I like the thread, and good follow-ups from @don_fabio.Just a couple of random comments. I think it's too soon to "trade" on Medvedev. He's a bit wobbly in the head, but he is the proven deal, and he knows that. Plus, he does have a strong game, when it's on, and especially when the surface suits him.

I hate to say this, but I don't think we can just talk about Zverev as if nothing happened. Look how much Thiem has had troubles coming back from injury, and he's mentally sturdier. And his injury less-severe, I think it's fair to say. I think I mentioned on the predictions thread you started that I'm going to be curious to see how Zed comes back. Likewise Thiem. Not sure what to think about Tsitsipas...he could go either way.

Sinner is has stalled a bit, but he's young.

I would add Korda into the mix. I think he has up-side.
Agree with Don and Moxie on their posts,

I am not ready to trade on Medvedev, lets see how he plays in 2023, his lead up tournaments in the USO, he was below par, I didnt think he could defend his USO title,when he is 'on' he is hard to beat on a HC, in saying that I feel he has area's in his game he needs to improve on other surfaces.
Lets see how Zverev comes back on tour, in 2023, his mental game I still question,that includes Tsitsipas.
Sinner has time on his side, though he also has area's in his game that needs improvement,he could not have a better coach in Cahill
I am trading in Shapo, for the life of me at times he cannot construct a point? also he is his own worst enemy, his temper and concentration lets him down time and time again, he has a explosive game, still.....he had a good coach in Jamie Delgado, let him go and since then, his game has gone backwards

Like Don Fabio I will be surprised if Thiem gets back to the Top 10
Another player I will closely watch is Berrettini, he played soo well before Wimbledon and I thought he could again go deep, COVID sad to say interfered and he withdrew, to me he wasnt the same player after that.
I also feel Musetti has a lot of upside to his game, he is still young, has time on his side to improve in area's of his game, though he is an exciting young player to watch.

Reactions: don_fabio and Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I am not ready to trade on Medvedev, lets see how he plays in 2023, his lead up tournaments in the USO, he was below par, I didnt think he could defend his USO title,when he is 'on' he is hard to beat on a HC, in saying that I feel he has area's in his game he needs to improve on other surfaces.
This is an interesting point, when you put it in the context of his not being able to play Wimbledon, which might have sharpened him a bit more. Overall, it's been an odd year. For 2023, Thiem is still a question mark, and Zverev has to be.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
This is an interesting point, when you put it in the context of his not being able to play Wimbledon, which might have sharpened him a bit more. Overall, it's been an odd year. For 2023, Thiem is still a question mark, and Zverev has to be.
Agree, Medevev if he was allowed to play Wimbledon it might have sharpened him

Reactions: Moxie