Which Lost Genner Has the Best Chance of a Surprise Slam?

Which Lost Gen player has the best chance of winning a Slam?

• Nishikori

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Raonic

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Paire

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Goffin

• Dimitrov

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Carreno Busta

• Sock

• Basilashvili

• Schwarztman

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Cecchinato

• Other

• Total voters

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
By "Lost Gen" I'm thinking players born after Cilic/del Potro (Sept, 1988) and before Thiem (Sept 1993), so basically 1989-93, but no Thiem. Even though it seems unlikely, who do you think has the best chance of winning a Slam?

Reactions: AnonymousFan

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I voted Grigor, but I kind of want it to be Schwartzman. But Grigor is the most talented, imo. A few years ago I thought Nishikori or Raonic might pull one off, but that ship seems to have sailed.

Crazy to think that Kei turns 30 years old this month.

I was going to add "Tomic -- haha" as an option, but thought I'd play nice.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
None of them has a chance, but I voted for Dimitrov because he's the most attractive out of that list. :bye:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
None of the above.

I would like someone to start a similar thread with only the post-lost-genners listed. We had a thread over which one of them will be the next #1, but IIRC, never had a thread on which one of them will be the first to win a slam.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
None of the above.

I would like someone to start a similar thread with only the post-lost-genners listed. We had a thread over which one of them will be the next #1, but IIRC, never had a thread on which one of them will be the first to win a slam.

I don't think any of the above will win a Slam, but the point is who has the best chance. At this point I'd probably give Grigor >10%.

As for the NextGenners (and younger), I vaguely remember discussing this and thinking Tsitsipas had the best chance of first Slam title. But that was before the rise of Medvedev. At this point I think one of those two, or Zverev, is most likely - at least in 2020. If FAA develops as I hope, I think he'll be a serious threat by 2021. And it certainly seems possible that 2020 is another (the last?) year in which the Big Three divide the biggest spoils, although I hope not.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Dimitrov has made several SF’s at Majors, so he’s got the best chance, perhaps in 2021. The big 3 will be one year older and NextGen may not have lasting consistence in comparison. Can’t see it in 2020.

Reactions: Fiero425

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
all the lost gen players are big 3 suckers, wwe jobbers ect…. of course dimitrov has the best chance of winning a major he needs to do it in the next two seasons if he's to ever win one.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I tried hard to envision ways that any of those guys might win a Slam, and I couldn't come up with one. Seriously.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I tried hard to envision ways that any of those guys might win a Slam, and I couldn't come up with one. Seriously.

I remember the following statement by Kieran.

Even if Berdych plays against Tsonga in the final of a GS, neither of them will win it. I think the same applies to the elite group in this OP.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I can't believe Sock made it to the list. Does he even have a singles ranking anymore? :)

I voted for the Schwartzman. I like the guy, he gave Nadal run for his money in RG two years ago and then khm khm, then it started raining.

Looking at all these names lined up like this they look more insignificant than ever. Nishikori said he is getting closer to retirement and he is only 29, while the big3 is still kicking ass. It's sad being a lost genner, but they still got to enjoy all the $$$$ they made.

OverallForm

Reactions
Nishikori and Raonic are the most consistent of LostGen, and even more consistent than Cilic.
But they are past their prime now, and they both get injured too often.

My pick would be Raonic but I doubt anyone in the list would win a slam.

Last edited:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
By "Lost Gen" I'm thinking players born after Cilic/del Potro (Sept, 1988) and before Thiem (Sept 1993), so basically 1989-93, but no Thiem. Even though it seems unlikely, who do you think has the best chance of winning a Slam?
Hello El Dude, Good topic for discussion..I am curious why didn't you include RBA . I still have hope for JoWillieTs. Who knows maybe if Monfils new love interest may give him the inspiration to Finally dedicate his last few years on the tour

Last edited:

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Hello El Dude, Good topic for discussion..I am curious why didn't you include RBA . I still have hope for JoWillieTs. Who knows maybe if Monfils new love interest may give him the inspiration to Finally dedicate his last few years on the tour

Well, my answer is in the post you were replying to: RBA, Tsonga, and Monfils were all born before the dates i'm using for LostGen (b. 1989-93, roughly). Those three are part of the Rafa-Novak-Andy generation (b. 1984-88).

Reactions: the AntiPusher