What the ---- is going on with Djokovic?

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
^ He isn't choking but he has struggled to bring anywhere near his best tennis to the finals for quite some time. That changed in a big way in this recent Wimbledon final and it gives hope to his fans that he has turned the corner. Sometimes one big win changes everything...

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
tennisfanaticblog.weebly.com
NADAL2005RG said:
TennisFanatic7 said:
The Wimbledon win was big for Nole and should stop him from bottling another half dozen slam finals. His last couple of tournaments have been poor, but it's not out of the ordinary for players to have a come down like this after a big breakthrough.

Winning Wimbledon will stop Djokovic from losing future slam finals? :laydownlaughing
Djokovic doesn't have full control over the slam finals (because his opponent is a great player like Nadal or Federer), and he didn't have full control over the Wimbledon final by any means.

Djokovic has been losing slam finals because the toughest opponent he faces is usually in the final.
What Djokovic does in the 1st Round or QF, SF is enough to win those matches, but not necessarily enough to win the final.

Its a bit like Murray, before Murray won 2012 US Open. Murray was good enough to make it to slam finals and semis, but not good enough to beat the best player in the draw. In the last 10 slams, Djokovic has been good enough to beat the best player in the draw only twice.

I didn't say it would stop him from losing future slam finals :huh: .

My point was that he hasn't turned up to many of his recent slam finals and had lost a few in a row - if there was a mental factor in there then getting over the line at Wimbledon should go some way to healing that and stand him in better stead for future finals.

N

NADAL2005RG

^ Well you said "should stop him from bottling another half dozen slam finals."

I felt Djokovic's collapse in the 4th set was the worst of his career, in terms of being in an extreme position of power and then losing the plot/set.

I'm not convinced that this Wimbledon final will help him mentally (just as winning that 6 hour AO final in 2012 didn't seem to help Djokovic mentally as he went on to lose the next 3 slam events).

But we'll see what follows Wimbledon.

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
tennisfanaticblog.weebly.com
NADAL2005RG said:
^ Well you said "should stop him from bottling another half dozen slam finals."

I felt Djokovic's collapse in the 4th set was the worst of his career, in terms of being in an extreme position of power and then losing the plot/set.

I'm not convinced that this Wimbledon final will help him mentally (just as winning that 6 hour AO final in 2012 didn't seem to help Djokovic mentally as he went on to lose the next 3 slam events).

But we'll see what follows Wimbledon.

Perhaps I should have expanded, then, instead of trying to sum it up in a sentence, but hopefully I have now explained what I meant.

I do think it will help him in future slam finals though, or at least he will no longer be going into his next slam final without having to stop himself from thinking about how he'd lost the last 5(?) he's been in.

N

NADAL2005RG

^ Yeah no worries.

Apart from the doping, this forum is more mature/civilized than TT and MTF.

lacatch

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
NADAL2005RG--Of course no one can be sure about what a victory will mean for the future, but most feel that winning Wimbledon after losing so many finals in a row will get a monkey off Djokovic's back. Similarly, many feel (including Nadal who said so himself) that getting close to beating Djokovic in Australia 2012 after getting slaughtered by him so many times in a row helped Nadal turn the tables. Not sure why you say that Djokovic only played well enough to beat some top 10 players but not win the GS finals---he's #1 in the world, has won 7 Grand Slams, and certainly suffered from mental collapses in several finals. And yes--at that level of competition we all know that mental fortitude counts for a lot in terms of winning---otherwise Nadal wouldn't have 14 GS titles to his name!

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
ladies and gentleman..warrior djokovic has left the building. (elvis at caesars palace las vegas style)

Srini

Futures Player
Reactions
Cant remember marriage making anyone's life better, including Djokovic's:laydownlaughing

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Srini said:
Cant remember marriage making anyone's life better, including Djokovic's:laydownlaughing

ROFL! So true :laydownlaughing:lolz:

N

NADAL2005RG

Best to take the rest of this year off to make sure marriage and baby are in perfect working order.
He's skipping the Asian swing apparently (unless that's just a rumor).

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
when the shrieking sprog pops out..jelena will say "oooo novak daaaaarling..now the baby has emerged maybe you could look after it and I can play your tennis matches for you".

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nole is already obsessed by his futur baby....that's my explanation about his poor performance on US soil

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
^^ I think so too, Isabelle...but I can't really fault the guy for that. Fathers should be excited about their babies, especially first time fathers.;)

Nole will be a guest of David Letterman tonight if anybody is interested to watch.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Whenever I "complain" or muse aloud/on forums about nole, I assume he doesn't read it, so I don't feel ungrateful, because I hold no ill-will towards the guy when he loses. Just greedy and ungrateful when they aren't around. No problem with that IMO. I would never tweet anything negative at any player, because at least in theory that is directed to them.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Billie said:
^^ I think so too, Isabelle...but I can't really fault the guy for that. Fathers should be excited about their babies, especially first time fathers.;)

Nole will be a guest of David Letterman tonight if anybody is interested to watch.

Can't wait to see baby Nole...according to tabloids it's a boy !! Wait and see if it's true

tented

Administrator
Reactions
lacatch said:
I started a thread a while back wondering aloud about how marriage (and then a baby) would affect Novak. Several thought it would motivate him--give him something/someone else to play for. I was guessing he would be distracted/lose focus, which seems to be the case. He himself said he wasn't seeing the ball well....

I don't read anything into his recent early-round exists beyond his being distracted with significant events taking place in his personal life. Marriage and having children are huge changes, and are likely to impact anyone's "work", even an athlete's.

Even with everything going on, I still picked him to win the US Open, however I won't be stunned if he loses by, say, the quarterfinals because he's not focused. And should that happen, I'll take it for what it is: a result due to personal distractions, not a sign of his game deteriorating.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
isabelle said:
Billie said:

Can't wait to see baby Nole...according to tabloids it's a boy !! Wait and see if it's true

In Serbian news we've read that it is a boy for a while now. Apparently Nole somewhere said to Janko: you keep your daughter for my son. It is not official but looks like...well it is 50-50 anyway and everybody will know soon enough.

Apparently Nole partied a bit too much in Toronto (shame on him for not inviting me and herios) and it reflected poorly on his tennis, hopefully he will cut all that out and just concentrate on the tournament.:cool:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ Well, luckily the Open is played in NYC. Quiet little back-water. Not so many temptations to over-indulge. :snigger

Seriously, he was wrong not to invite you and herios, when he was out on the town in Toronto! ;)