What the ---- is going on with Djokovic?

lacatch

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
I started a thread a while back wondering aloud about how marriage (and then a baby) would affect Novak. Several thought it would motivate him--give him something/someone else to play for. I was guessing he would be distracted/lose focus, which seems to be the case. He himself said he wasn't seeing the ball well....

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
To me it looks like his mind is not on tennis. Hopefully he can mount some sort of motivation for USO and then I won't expect anything from him till after the baby is born. But the state of his game in near future, of course, nobody knows, probably Nole himself doesn't know. He is very emotional and he already said that Jelena and their baby are going to be the most important people in his life and tennis will not be as important. Once the baby is born, it should be a bit easier for him.

Iona16

Masters Champion
Reactions
I have to say I've been really surprised by how negative some Novak fans have been on twitter etc. What an entitled bunch. The guy has been 'ridiculously' consistent in masters events. He's spoiled his fans to be quite honest. Give the guy a break. I have no doubt you'll see him in the semis (at least) come the US Open.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
Iona16 said:
I have to say I've been really surprised by how negative some Novak fans have been on twitter etc. What an entitled bunch. The guy has been 'ridiculously' consistent in masters events. He's spoiled his fans to be quite honest. Give the guy a break. I have no doubt you'll see him in the semis (at least) come the US Open.

Fans of any player are always like that....too entitled, as if the players are playing for them. Most of fans anyway. I always have different opinions than most even regarding Nole. They complained when he made all the finals and then he would lose finals. Finally he wins a major, now they want M1000 again. I think he has enough of those and will probably win more in future so he can win or lose whatever he wants. I think at this time his priority is his family. Who am I to nag about that?

Anyway he himself said recently that it is tougher to win M1000 now even than just 5 years ago. Tennis has become so brutal. If you overdo it, you get injured. If you don't, then you don't win anything big. A vicious circle. I am not really worried, I just wish him and Jelena all the best and that everything is OK with the baby. That is my main concern. :angel:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ Many the argument has been made of why a MS1000 is so hard to win, and I agree with them.

It wasn't that surprising to see Nole lose in Canada, back from his wedding, (though, OK, so early was a surprise.) I did think he'd pull his focus back by Cincy, so that was more surprising. But, as Billie says, he's an emotional guy, and this is a life-changing time. You've expressed concern on two threads, Billie, about Jelena. She's young and healthy, so hopefully she's doing well, but I'm guessing she hasn't made the trip to North America. (Did anyone see her? You were in Canada, Billie.) Since she's usually with him, and in his box, it is likely difficult and distracting if they're separated at this time. If he's distracted, it's understandable.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
No Moxie, she was not in Canada and she will not be coming to the USA. She is now in her 7th month so it is not wise to travel that far along. The dogs are with Jelena as well, it must be the first time since 2010 that they are not all with him at this time.

Apparently he is scheduled to take part in Late Show with David Letterman on Tuesday and following that in a day or so some exhibition for Johnny Mac's academy.

Jelena is probably OK there are no news to suggest otherwise, it is just my damn worrying nature.:rolleyes:

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
he has gone soft in the head..djokovics head is filled up with non tennis stuff and he has lost the plot oncourt.

boom boom boris needs to serve some serves at djoko's egg shaped chin and tell him to wake up or else its no go at the u s o.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I think he will be fine for the U.S. Open. He will pull his focus together and a few easy rounds will help. It's understandable that he is not all there right now for MS events given what's going on in his personal life. If he can't pick himself up for a GS then that's worrisome even with the fact that he is recently married and is about to become a father.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I fully expect him to play stronger at Flushing, although I'm not sure he'll be able to win the thing. His mental preparation definitely looks off, and let's face it... fatherhood will be that much closer. It can't be easy.. I wouldn't be surprised if he's basically checked out until the birth, but losing early twice should wake the dragon up a bit. I just fear for him if he has to face a Federer, Murray, Wawrinka type player at the back end of the US Open. That needs a bit more than just stung pride to negotiate

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
Yeah, what's up with Djokovic? He only won Wimbleon a few months back. :p

N

NADAL2005RG

Djokovic has only won 2 of the last 10 slam events (Nadal has won 4/10, Murray 2/10, Federer 1/10, Wawrinka 1/10), so whether he's distracted or not, his chances weren't great at the US Open. Not just because of Nadal, but also Federer, Wawrinka, Tsonga and Murray. Outside of Paris, slams are wide open in this era.

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
tennisfanaticblog.weebly.com
The Wimbledon win was big for Nole and should stop him from bottling another half dozen slam finals. His last couple of tournaments have been poor, but it's not out of the ordinary for players to have a come down like this after a big breakthrough.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
TsarMatt said:
Yeah, what's up with Djokovic? He only won Wimbleon a few months back. :p

:snigger Good point Matt.

He's just so darn consistent, that it is a bit of a shock to see his early exit from events. Personally I didn't think marriage and the prospect of fatherhood would have distracted him as much as it's seemed to. Hoping he can focus and gain some momentum during the first week of the Open.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
How greedy fans are hey? The guy has just got married - I think his immediate priorities will be with his wife not tennis forum posters.

N

NADAL2005RG

TennisFanatic7 said:
The Wimbledon win was big for Nole and should stop him from bottling another half dozen slam finals. His last couple of tournaments have been poor, but it's not out of the ordinary for players to have a come down like this after a big breakthrough.

Winning Wimbledon will stop Djokovic from losing future slam finals? :laydownlaughing
Djokovic doesn't have full control over the slam finals (because his opponent is a great player like Nadal or Federer), and he didn't have full control over the Wimbledon final by any means.

Djokovic has been losing slam finals because the toughest opponent he faces is usually in the final.
What Djokovic does in the 1st Round or QF, SF is enough to win those matches, but not necessarily enough to win the final.

Its a bit like Murray, before Murray won 2012 US Open. Murray was good enough to make it to slam finals and semis, but not good enough to beat the best player in the draw. In the last 10 slams, Djokovic has been good enough to beat the best player in the draw only twice.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
britbox said:
How greedy fans are hey? The guy has just got married - I think his immediate priorities will be with his wife not tennis forum posters.

:puzzled

:( ... and I thought he was reading our comments!

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
NADAL2005RG said:
Djokovic has been losing slam finals because the toughest opponent he faces is usually in the final.
What Djokovic does in the 1st Round or QF, SF is enough to win those matches, but not necessarily enough to win the final.

You have won this month's award for stating the obvious. Congratulations.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
britbox said:

Greed is a necessity in this world my friend, makes you get the most out of it :cool:

And all this while I thought we were so important that all the top players read these forums religiously.

N

NADAL2005RG

britbox said:
NADAL2005RG said:

You have won this month's award for stating the obvious. Congratulations.

People say Djokovic is "botching" or "choking" slam finals.
What I'm saying is, he's not.
He's just playing at a level that is good enough to beat most top 10 players, but not always good enough to beat the finals opponent.