What do you think about Simona Halep?

Si Si Simona

Major Winner
Reactions
Hi,
I am not starting this thread to brag about her results. For me there is a much bigger reason that attracts me to her, and it would be interesting to see what you think about it.
In an interview that she gave the daily mail newspaper, she tells how after leaving her previous coach when nothing was going for her, she just took few months off to think and evaluate again her career.
She used these months to reset herself and find new thinking, and new approach to what she was doing in tennis. That's when the change happened. She simply grew up mentally. That was the change of her career.
It wasn't this or that coach as many think. I also thought that a coach changed her brain. Its not the case. She changed herself.

This is a great lesson for so many of us, living in doubts, believing what others say about them (i.e. "simona is a flop"). We can always change and start "fighting" for ourselves.
This is the Simona message and this is my inspiration, and I am a bit old, believe me. She gives me energy.
There were and will be other great tennis players maybe even better than her, but her mental change is what inspires me so much. That's why I am so mad about Simona Halep.

What do you think? :)

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I think it makes sense, and she was brave and wise to do it - and yes, this kind of thing is helpful to us who don't play tennis professionally! I did it myself and I'm in the process of changing things around. I feel a lot better for having stepped back and watched for a while, and Simona did the right thing.

Thanks for sharing that - and welcome to the forum! :)

Si Si Simona

Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
I think it makes sense, and she was brave and wise to do it - and yes, this kind of thing is helpful to us who don't play tennis professionally! I did it myself and I'm in the process of changing things around. I feel a lot better for having stepped back and watched for a while, and Simona did the right thing.

Thanks for sharing that - and welcome to the forum! :)

Thanks for the welcome :) Were you talking about tennis and are you a non professional player yourself? What she did is valid in tennis, sports, and.. life. She had an influence on me in life, not just sports. That's what I meant. Some times you "get stuck". She reminded me that I shouldn't accept the faith and I should fight for my ambitions and goals in life. I can change the outcome if I want it hard enough. A fighting spirit in the best way possible, its nothing mean against other humans.
Btw, I cant find even one malicious post done in bad spirit against other posters on this forum. So amazing and refreshing in comparison with TF. Its great here. You should thank your admins here for creating such a nice environment. :)

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
No, I'm not a professonal tennis player, I'm talking about life in general. I was told by a pal the other day that it's becoming more common that people step back from the rat race and assess their lives. That's what I done. Now, I've left the rat race and have no intention of returning... ;)

Si Si Simona said:
Btw, I cant find even one malicious post done in bad spirit against other posters on this forum.

Stick around, there'll be one along in a minute! :snigger

But yeah, the admin and mods do a great job here, it's generally a very friendly place... :)

Si Si Simona

Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
No, I'm not a professonal tennis player, I'm talking about life in general. I was told by a pal the other day that it's becoming more common that people step back from the rat race and assess their lives. That's what I done. Now, I've left the rat race and have no intention of returning... ;)

Si Si Simona said:
Btw, I cant find even one malicious post done in bad spirit against other posters on this forum.

Stick around, there'll be one along in a minute! :snigger

But yeah, the admin and mods do a great job here, it's generally a very friendly place... :)

:D no problems, and I am ready for any bad post after the extensive TF training that I got there ;)
No chance that I will retaliate. I have different priorities now. Seriously, I searched around and I couldn't find any animosity between users here :)

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions
She is stunning , 5 titles on different surfaces is something awesome

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Si Si Simona said:
This is a great lesson for so many of us, living in doubts, believing what others say about them (i.e. "simona is a flop"). We can always change and start "fighting" for ourselves.
This is the Simona message and this is my inspiration, and I am a bit old, believe me. She gives me energy.
There were and will be other great tennis players maybe even better than her, but her mental change is what inspires me so much. That's why I am so mad about Simona Halep.

Well put, Si Si Simona! :)

And welcome to the Tennis Frontier message boards.

Halep has been one of the big stories this year. There's a good Wikipedia page on her, which includes a section dedicated to 2013:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simona_Halep#2013:_Breakthrough

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Si Si Simona said:
Hi,
I am not starting this thread to brag about her results. For me there is a much bigger reason that attracts me to her, and it would be interesting to see what you think about it.
In an interview that she gave the daily mail newspaper, she tells how after leaving her previous coach when nothing was going for her, she just took few months off to think and evaluate again her career.
She used these months to reset herself and find new thinking, and new approach to what she was doing in tennis. That's when the change happened. She simply grew up mentally. That was the change of her career.
It wasn't this or that coach as many think. I also thought that a coach changed her brain. Its not the case. She changed herself.

When I first saw this thread, I knew in my short term photographic memory whom you were referring to. I think her latest results are amazing. (I can also Youtube the "ole: Simona:blush:

Si Si Simona

Major Winner
Reactions
tennisville said:
She is stunning , 5 titles on different surfaces is something awesome
6 titles in 6 months ;)

tented said:
Well put, Si Si Simona! :)

And welcome to the Tennis Frontier message boards.

Halep has been one of the big stories this year. There's a good Wikipedia page on her, which includes a section dedicated to 2013:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simona_Halep#2013:_Breakthrough
Hi and thanks for the welcome :)

the AntiPusher said:
When I first saw this thread, I knew in my short term photographic memory whom you were referring to. I think her latest results are amazing. (I can also Youtube the "ole: Simona:blush:
Yes, amazing. I hope she will keep it this way.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Welcome Si Si Simona. We're glad you stumbled across our forum. Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. You can send a pm (private message) to any moderator or admin and your question will be addressed.

On another note, I thought I remember Simona having a breast reduction surgery. That coupled w/ her new found mental toughness has really turned her career around. I would say a move for the best as she will no doubt crack the top ten early next year.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
kskate2 said:
On another note, I thought I remember Simona having a breast reduction surgery. That coupled w/ her new found mental toughness has really turned her career around. I would say a move for the best as she will no doubt crack the top ten early next year.

You're correct, K.

From Wikipedia:

"At almost 18 years old, Halep decided that her large bust was interfering with her game. She underwent mastopexy to reduce her bust size to 34C from 34DD. There was wide criticism of her decision to reduce her bust in order to improve her game. Fans petitioned her to reconsider her decision. She responded, saying, "It's the weight that troubles me. My ability to react quickly, my breasts make me uncomfortable when I play. I don’t like them in my everyday life, either. I would have gone for surgery even if I hadn’t been a sportswoman." She also experienced back pain. She later revealed her reduced bust size at the French Open in May 2010. Since the surgery, she has moved up over 450 places in the world rankings."

Si Si Simona

Major Winner
Reactions
kskate2 said:
Welcome Si Si Simona. We're glad you stumbled across our forum. Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. You can send a pm (private message) to any moderator or admin and your question will be addressed.

Hi, thanks for the welcome and I have no issues here so far. All looks real nice here. This forum deserves many more (good) members.

About Simona, she is only 185 WTA ranking points from Wozi in 10th place, she looks good in the rankings. The reduction surgery was 4 years ago on 2009, so I don't think there is a real connection between her new found level and the surgery. Its "all in the head" as they say... :)

Si Si Simona

Major Winner
Reactions
tented said:
... Since the surgery, she has moved up over 450 places in the world rankings."

She was stuck for about 2 years in between 40 to 60 in the rankings until May 2013. There is no connection between the surgery 4 years ago(2009) and her new tennis. In my opinion her change is 100% mental and not physical.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Si Si Simona said:
tented said:
... Since the surgery, she has moved up over 450 places in the world rankings."

She was stuck for about 2 years in between 40 to 60 in the rankings until May 2013. There is no connection between the surgery 4 years ago(2009) and her new tennis. In my opinion her change is 100% mental and not physical.

I won't argue semantics because I'm sure most of her change can be attributed to a new mentality and attitude. But as someone from the female persuasion, I can understand first-hand the limitations she faced pre-surgery.

Si Si Simona

Major Winner
Reactions
kskate2 said:
I won't argue semantics because I'm sure most of her change can be attributed to a new mentality and attitude. But as someone from the female persuasion, I can understand first-hand the limitations she faced pre-surgery.

Hi :) Of course you are right about that, but the surgery happened 4 years ago and it did not made an influence on her tennis success. Of course it helped her move faster and eased her back pains, but even after that she still could not win tournaments and have success. She was "moving fast" for 2 years (11-13) but still couldn't make a breakthrough in her career. The real breakthrough happened when she took few months off with no coach just to think and compose herself. So, there is a difference between a mental change and a physical change, its not just semantics. :cool:

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
Welcome, Si Si Simona. Halep is a tremendous player-mentally tough, great shot selection, solid off both wings. She can give most women in the top ten trouble. I expect her to qualify for the year end tournament in Singapore. Looking forward to seeing her continued rise in 2014.

Si Si Simona

Major Winner
Reactions
On facebook, Simona almost doubled the number of likes in just 4 days.
Simo page on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SimonaHalepOfficial
The page is made by a fan mostly in Romanian but you can get the vibe there.
She made many of her countrymen proud. Its like a tidal wave ;)
I am working hard on holding myself and not cross the lines of bragging and showing off. I am sure you can understand why it is like that. :blush:

Si Si Simona

Major Winner
Reactions
10sfan said:
Welcome, Si Si Simona. Halep is a tremendous player-mentally tough, great shot selection, solid off both wings. She can give most women in the top ten trouble. I expect her to qualify for the year end tournament in Singapore. Looking forward to seeing her continued rise in 2014.

May all your kind wishes come true :) Thanks for the compliments. As if I am her or owe her.. lol
Just a big fan

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
Great to have you here Si Si.

I see a great 2014 in her future. I like to see Simona motivate that tiny country of hers to like Tennis more than ever, joining the top 10 would certainly help in that matter.

I like to link another thread that I started earlier:
http://www.tennisfrontier.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=894

I'll be honest with you, I like Sorana a little more than Simona.
:)

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
tented said:
kskate2 said:

You're correct, K.

From Wikipedia:

"At almost 18 years old, Halep decided that her large bust was interfering with her game. She underwent mastopexy to reduce her bust size to 34C from 34DD. There was wide criticism of her decision to reduce her bust in order to improve her game. Fans petitioned her to reconsider her decision. She responded, saying, "It's the weight that troubles me. My ability to react quickly, my breasts make me uncomfortable when I play. I don’t like them in my everyday life, either. I would have gone for surgery even if I hadn’t been a sportswoman." She also experienced back pain. She later revealed her reduced bust size at the French Open in May 2010. Since the surgery, she has moved up over 450 places in the world rankings."

Were her breast bigger than Serena's breast? You know who had some big ones too Eroda - I think I spelled her name wrong, but it's something like that.