US open series 2014

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
Folks,
Just a few days left before Atlanta starts and with it, the US open series.
http://www.emiratesusopenseries.com/

Last year's winner was Rafa, he also won the US Open.
http://www.emiratesusopenseries.com/About-Us/past_champions/?intloc=headernavsub

Big pay!

How about this year?
Atlanta is first.
http://www.bbtatlantaopen.com/

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Sad that Mardy Fish and Brian Baker are awol. Mardy Fish though he hasn't retired probably might officially around this year's US Open I reckon. Baker is still hoping to come back after yet another knee injury. What bad luck that poor guy has had.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
The US Open Bonus Prize Money is a concept that is a total failure. The original intent
behind the idea of this Bonus Prize Money is that it will lure more top players and
European Players (who prefer to play on clay over there instead of coming over to USA
to play on hard) into participating in the US Open Series. This intent is simply not
realized even to a minor extent.

No top player has participated in minor events of USO Series due to the allure
of bonus prize money. In fact, I can't think of many players who plays in an USO
event and who would not play in the same event if there were no Bonus Prize
challenge. So, all the money that they were using to finance the Bonus Prize
are essentially going waste.

Instead, the USTA should use that money to finance, subsidize and nurture
young talent so that there can be a steady stream of top USA players who
can make it at least into the second week of Grandslams.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:
Sad that Mardy Fish and Brian Baker are awol. Mardy Fish though he hasn't retired probably might officially around this year's US Open I reckon. Baker is still hoping to come back after yet another knee injury. What bad luck that poor guy has had.

Mardy has a son called Beckett, he probably wants to stay at home with him and wife

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Probably no doubt but it's strange he hasn't retired officially. It's one thing coming back from a repaired injury but heart problems don't just go away so it's a wonder he hasn't retired yet.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
The US Open Bonus Prize Money is a concept that is a total failure. The original intent
behind the idea of this Bonus Prize Money is that it will lure more top players and
European Players (who prefer to play on clay over there instead of coming over to USA
to play on hard) into participating in the US Open Series. This intent is simply not
realized even to a minor extent.

No top player has participated in minor events of USO Series due to the allure
of bonus prize money. In fact, I can't think of many players who plays in an USO
event and who would not play in the same event if there were no Bonus Prize
challenge. So, all the money that they were using to finance the Bonus Prize
are essentially going waste.

Instead, the USTA should use that money to finance, subsidize and nurture
young talent so that there can be a steady stream of top USA players who
can make it at least into the second week of Grandslams.

I totally agree, it's a flawed manufactured marketing concept. Peter Bodo attacks it in his blog today as well. Whatever they intended for it, they haven't gotten it...

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
tennisfanaticblog.weebly.com
Isner will probably be leading the way after the first few tournaments then lose it during Cincy.

Djokovic has to be looking at these tournaments as a chance to reassert himself as the number one player. Nadal can't possibly defend all his points, hopefully he realises that and doesn't let it rattle him if he loses Toronto or Cincinnati. Murray can start here in his quest to climb back up the rankings, defending nothing in Canada and QFs in Cincy and US Open. Federer isn't defending much either and should be able to play with freedom. He proved a lot of what he's still capable of by reaching the final of Wimbledon.

Del Potro will slip out of the top ten as he had a good haul of points in Washington, Montreal and Cincinnati last year. The biggest pressure is possibly on Raonic, defending 600 points in the Canada Masters.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Just for fun, here is how the odd makers are betting right now for the winner of the US Open, before the HC summer season has started:

1. Djokovic
2. Nadal
3. Murray
4. Federer
5. Wawrinka
6. Dimitrov
7. Raonic
8. Berdych

The novelty is the appearance in the top 8 favorites of Dimitrov and Raonic, following their Wimbledon result. Also interesting how Federer has worse odds than Murray!

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
US open series 2014 standings

Place Player Points
1 John Isner (USA) 70
2 Dudi Sela (ISR) 45
T-3 Benjamin Becker (GER) 25
Jack Sock (USA) 25
T-5 Thiemo De Bakker (NED) 15
Lukas Lacko (SVK) 15
Marinko Matosevic (AUS) 15
Vasek Pospisil (CAN) 15

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
Can anyone tell me whether the Toronto draw is Friday or Saturday?

Not sure if this is the right topic for it but didn't want to start the Rogers Cup thread just for this question

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
TennisFanatic7 said:

Not sure if this is the right topic for it but didn't want to start the Rogers Cup thread just for this question

They usually come out on the Friday for MS.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
TennisFanatic7 said:

Will it be returned to the rightful owner this year?

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
TennisFanatic7 said:

Will it be returned to the rightful owner this year?

Yes! I believe Novak will win it this year. :)

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
herios said:
Just for fun, here is how the odd makers are betting right now for the winner of the US Open, before the HC summer season has started:

1. Djokovic
2. Nadal
3. Murray
4. Federer
5. Wawrinka
6. Dimitrov
7. Raonic
8. Berdych

The novelty is the appearance in the top 8 favorites of Dimitrov and Raonic, following their Wimbledon result. Also interesting how Federer has worse odds than Murray!

I would like to see the revised list after Ralf's announcement that he will miss Toronto and Cinci. Also surprised that Murray is up as high as he is, but I guess the oddsmakers stick with consistency over time a little more than current results. After Berdy's loss to Vasek, I think the 8 slot might be a little high as well.

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
Re: RE: US open series 2014

nehmeth said:
herios said:

1. Djokovic
2. Nadal
3. Murray
4. Federer
5. Wawrinka
6. Dimitrov
7. Raonic
8. Berdych

I would like to see the revised list after Ralf's announcement that he will miss Toronto and Cinci. Also surprised that Murray is up as high as he is, but I guess the oddsmakers stick with consistency over time a little more than current results. After Berdy's loss to Vasek, I think the 8 slot might be a little high as well.
There is a separate thread on this that GSM is updating, last I checked Rafa was still second on the list but had slightly lost ground in raw odds to the others, though that was just a day after the injury announcement

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
There is a new twist on the point system this year, if any player does 3+ events, they double the points!
One has to play a minimum of 2 events to qualify.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Kiu said:
There is a new twist on the point system this year, if any player does 3+ events, they double the points!
One has to play a minimum of 2 events to qualify.

This is not a minor innocent twist. It is done intentionally to save money.

Last year, they had to pay bonus of one million dollars to both Rafa and Serena.
With the previous point structure, it is possible for a top player to win the USO Series
Bonus Points Challenge just by participating in Rogers Cup and Cincy Tournaments.
The top players usually play only in these two events as a warm up for USO.
The top players have a better chance of winning US Open.

When you double the points obtained only for players winning points in 3 or more
US Open Series events, you increase the chances that the winner (and possibly
the runner up and also the third place finisher) of US Open Series is not a
top player and so the chances of them having to sell out huge Bonus Money
is less. Recall that the bonus money is given only to top 3 finishers in the
US Open Series and it depends on how far they go in the US Open.