US Open Final: Raducanu vs. Fernandez

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I sincerely believe we will never, ever, ever in our lifetime see such an event like we saw in New York City these last two weeks. It is unbelievable that these two players did what they did. I hope they come to dominate the next decade. It will be worth every minute of time watching.
Maybe they can be the next Chrissy/Martina? Either way, they're likely to play each other a lot for years to come. Inshallah.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Qualies to final and didn't drop a set?! Is that right?
Yep. The better competitor won today. Congrats to Emma ..very well done. Excellente PERFECTO heart that Lil Bit displayed the entire two weeks..I can tell that Lil Bit is hurting but she will be back.

Reactions: kskate2

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Andrescuu is drawing a sigh of relief,,

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
But you're asking the wrong person. I wasn't the one who dissed the crowd in this convo.
It was a conversation, and I replied to the most recent. I didn't blame you, I was asking both, because you concurred with tossip. But fine. I'll ask @tossip.

• Haha
Reactions: tossip

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Emma deserved to win and didnt have to use the crowd for anything.I respect players who win fair and square......and she got rewarded today..now Leyla you can go back to Montreal and commiserate with Auger Aliassime

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nice nod to NYC, thanks, Leylah!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Does anyone wonder, like me, if the actual check is in those envelopes? That seems a lot to keep track of in an otherwise huge and distracting moment.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
It was a conversation, and I replied to the most recent. I didn't blame you, I was asking both, because you concurred with tossip. But fine. I'll ask @tossip.
Saying I won't argue with his statement doesn't mean I concur. I said what I said, the crowd are what they are. They can be a 3rd player on the court and swing matches one way or the other which is why I said that. But this isn't solely attributed to NY. The French crowd especially and the AO can both swing a match. Only Wimby seems a bit more even in their crowd noise.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Does anyone wonder, like me, if the actual check is in those envelopes? That seems a lot to keep track of in an otherwise huge and distracting moment.
I don't think they actually give out checks anymore. I believe everything is digital and they probably deposit the $$ into whatever account they used to pay their admission fees.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't think they actually give out checks anymore. I believe everything is digital and they probably deposit the $$ into whatever account they used to pay their admission fees.
I'm sure you're right. It used to be those goofy big checks, which I thought was crass. But I'm sure it's just a little note that says, "Congratulations! You just won $2.5M!!"

• Haha
Reactions: AnonymousFan

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I just can’t get over how unbelievable this final was—these two are just like magical players who came to cast a spell over the sport. Novak’s chase of history will always seem anti-climatic to me.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I just can’t get over how unbelievable this final was—these two are just like magical players who came to cast a spell over the sport. Novak’s chase of history will always seem anti-climatic to me.
I can count down to 3-2-1 before I get a complaint about this from a certain poster, but last year's women's USO far outstripped the men's for good tennis, and I think this one already has, for thrills and drama. I know there is a big record on the line on the men's side, but beyond that? Very few thrills or surprises.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Sorry for you team,my football team just won in a thriller...I follow rugby league,though I am a Swans fan,dont kill me okay:)
I will be happy for either Leylah or Emma to win....tennis will also be the winner....great stuff.
I will have to watch a replay of the Ladies final as I have been called into work,we are short in ICU and the COVID patients in my hospital are rising sad to say.Lucky you live in SA,where this Delta strain at the moment is under control.
Yes we continue to dodge the Delta bullets.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Congrats Emma Raducanu on winning her first ever tennis championship IN STYLE. She wins 6-4, 6-3 defeats Leylah Fernandez.
She does so playing three rounds in the qualifying rounds and then backs up with another 7 wins at the U.S. Open, all without conceding one set of tennis !!! Extraordinary statistic right there !

The whole of England must be celebrating now
:P
Must rate as one of the greatest sports achievements of 2021 ! But Canada can claim some responsibility as Emma was also born in that country Aye
:lol:

As for the runners up, she has to be proud with how she fought and beat five top players to reach the final, but she needs to bulk up a tad and get some power into her serve.
There's no doubt in my mind or anyone who follows the game, that she's extremely gifted and moves very fast around the court but Oh how that serve looks meek. She'll get that fixed, i'm sure. Go Leylah Fernandez

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I can count down to 3-2-1 before I get a complaint about this from a certain poster, but last year's women's USO far outstripped the men's for good tennis, and I think this one already has, for thrills and drama. I know there is a big record on the line on the men's side, but beyond that? Very few thrills or surprises.
I agree with you. I won't bother with getting up at 5:30 am monday to watch the way i did so with the womens final this morning (Sunday) but will tape the game instead. The player Novak Djokovic is probably the most boring tennis player I ever watched in almost 44 years that i followed the game. And Dannil Medvedev is not far off either.

• Haha
Reactions: Moxie