US Open Final: Raducanu vs. Fernandez

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just finished watching the final on replay,

May I say what great spirit the game was played by Emma and Leylah.
To me Leylah made too many UFE in crucial times in the match.I also thought her serve let her down.
Still what a wonderful two weeks Leylah has had defeating the Top seeds,Osaka,Kerber,Svitolina,Sabalaenka.
Take a Bow Leylah.On Monday Leylah will be ranked No 28 in the live rankings on Monday

I have no words for Emma ranked 150th and did not drop a set in 10 wins from 10 matches?
Like who does that?.....unbelievable.I did predict she would win,I thought she was the better player on court.
Emma has made her own history...also being the first British woman to in a GS in 40 years ( Virginia Wade 1977,Wimbledon).
Apart being the first qualifer to win a major.The youngest woman to win a major since Maria Sharapova at 2004 Wimbledon,also the 1st to win US Open without losing a set since Serena Williams in 2014.
Emma will be ranked No 23 in the live rankings on Monday.

Thank you Leylah and Emma for giving tennis fans a 'unbelievable two weeks' of great tennis!

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Leyla was getting annoying with her egging the crowd on.Emma is the answer..Robson ,Konta Watson couldnt do it...she is going to get a lot of endorsements from UK and China...these endorsement can end up like an albatross,,,case study is Osaka
I couldn't be in alignment with you against Leylah's discussion with the umpire..yes the injured knee to be cleaned up but 5 minutes was a bit excessive.. However, that wasn't the determining factor of the outcome of the match. Emma totally outplayed Leylah. Leylah is a class act and I don't see why there's any questions to her character.. Whenever you are playing tennis in front of a crowd, you feel they're presence which can add extra energy to your mentality of being a competitor..I hope THIS makes sense. Emma deserve the championship and let's be fair to Lil Bit..she gave us probably the best two weeks of tennis that we have experience in years. IMO.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Congratulations to S. Stosur/S.Zhang (14) wining the Ladies Doubles Final defeating C.Gauff/C.McNally (11) 63 36 63.

Lovely comment from Coco Gauff telling Sam Stosur was 'my first ever autograph'.

BTW Sam Stosur said earlier in this tournament it would be her last singles match.I assume she will be continuing her doubles play.
BTW this is San Stosur's 2nd USO Doubles title.

Last edited:

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Emma's photo session
images

0_US-Open-Championships-2021-Day-Thirteen-USTA-National-Tennis-Center-Flushing-Meadows-New-York-U.jpg

1000x-1.jpg

mmka2v5g_emma-raducanu-us-open-trophy-afp_625x300_12_September_21.jpg

6114acc0-13c6-11ec-8670-113da20e0de6_800_420.png

E_D5HK3VIAMFpBi.jpg

US_Open-8-770x433.jpg

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions
Hmmm, I've noticed that men's final (and Men's NG Med) attracted about twice more comments than this final and this new prodigy of tennis: Emma. In terms of historical significance the attention of the fans should be at least opposite (if not 5-10 times. maybe even 100x in favour of Emma), because this girl has achieved something no one (man or woman) ever did in tennis. Almost like super-natural feat, a miracle against all odds, that happens once in everybody's life. On top of that, she's very eloquent, popular online, having nice smile, should be very likable to both female & male fans (esp. brits who AFAIK are in higher numbers on this forum as opposed to Russians), so she should be beating Med in popularity five times if not more.
So what's going on? Clearly, the only explanation is: women's tennis is still heavily under-appreciated. Despite the equal pay-checks, by measure of who is talking about whom, and consequently I predict, by the amount of sponsorship money, the male winner of today's USO will still be better off than the female winner. I'd be OK if they were at least equal (even though Emma deserves more) but does not look like. Sad.
Correction: by current tally of messages here (300K vs. 80K) Daniil attracted almost 4 times more fan attention than Emma did. So the unjust favouritism of men's tennis is even higher than I originally thought. :(

Last edited:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I think the women's tournament this year was so much more interesting than the men's, because of these two young women and their brightness, their great play, and their runs to the final. An antidote to the moping and victimhood we've had inflicted on us by the tragedian billionaires.

And I believe that Emma's great victory was not only deserved, but may have been the most seismic splash I've seen in tennis since Boris Becker blasted his way to the Wimbledon title aged 17, in 1985... :clap: :clap:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I think the women's tournament this year was so much more interesting than the men's, because of these two young women and their brightness, their great play, and their runs to the final. An antidote to the moping and victimhood we've had inflicted on us by the tragedian billionaires.

And I believe that Emma's great victory was not only deserved, but may have been the most seismic splash I've seen in tennis since Boris Becker blasted his way to the Wimbledon title aged 17, in 1985... :clap: :clap:
Hey Kieran great to see you again....agree the womens tournament was much more interesting than the men's full stop
Leyelah and Emma brought great tennis for the 2 weeks.
Agree Emma deserved her win,like who does not drop a set all tournament at just 18 years old.Amazing performance to win her first GS title.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Brother Kieran still minces no words and hits the nail on the head—as seismic as Becker or the young Angelic Assassin when he burst on the scene! She is wonderful to behold playing as is the young Canadian, Miss Fernandez. Both delightful and they play thrilling tennis—no moon balls here! Welcome back Mr. Dublin!

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Brother Kieran still minces no words and hits the nail on the head—as seismic as Becker or the young Angelic Assassin when he burst on the scene! She is wonderful to behold playing as is the young Canadian, Miss Fernandez. Both delightful and they play thrilling tennis—no moon balls here! Welcome back Mr. Dublin!
Thanks brother! Was a great privilege to see Emma follow in the hallowed footsteps of the great Bjorn, and the occasionally great Boris!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Following Emma Raducanu's historic win over the weekend.Royal Mail will be applying a special congratulatory postmark on stamped mail from Monday 13th - Thursday 16 September.Nice Touch.

Reactions: kskate2 and shawnbm

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Fifth time in seven years that women's US Open final outdrew the men's on Amercian TV.
Women's final,two players from outside the Top 70.compared to a mens's 1 vs 2 battle for a historic Grand Slam.

US Open women's final = 2.442 millions viewers on ESPN.
US Open men's final = 2.051million viewers on ESPN (note NRL competition is a big factor here as it always on that Sunday).

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Emma back in England. Emma Mania !

She’s a natural. She hasn’t put a foot wrong since we first heard of her at Wimbledon, and I suspect we’ll hear a lot of her in the coming years. She has a tremendous temperament and attitude, she’s not sulky or rude, she’s quite strong willed and calm.

It’ll be interesting to see how she’s gets on in smaller events, and against bigger hitters, but like everyone she’ll take her hits and have to fight on. She’s a breath of fresh air…

Reactions: kskate2 and tented