US Open Day 9: Tuesday, September 2

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Seems Dimitrov is still quite far away from the big league. Knew the DF was coming there a mile off.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Impressive focus from La Monf. Figured out how to conserve his energy. He's been working on his focus all year.

I.Haychew

Major Winner
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Front242 said:
Monfils looks absolutely exhausted. He may well lose this still unless he miraculously perks up.

I am at work and not watching anything, but one time Gael was totally out of it and looked dead on his feet. The umpire asked him if he was able to go on. He said , and these are his exact words I heard" No problems, I am sneaky like that..." And sure enough, he came alive and won the next set.

Monfils plays possum a lot.

Good call on the possum thing.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Listens to Beyoncé to syche himself up? Hmm, OK!

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
What a stupid post-match on-court interview?

Instead of asking Gael about what happened to him, why he looked so exhausted in
the middle, they ask him what song he was listening to?

These stupid interviewers should be fired.

The Big Bad Wolf

Reactions
I couldn't watch the match so I listened to it on the radio, I suppose Dimi was a bit sloppy, but what exactly happened to La Monf in the last few games of the third set?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Monfils has not lost a set on his way so far. Pretty dangerous now.

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
tennisfanaticblog.weebly.com
Adios Grigor, way to limp out. Time for him to regroup and book that spot in London over the next few weeks.

Speaking of which, this fortnight has seen the race close up somewhat. Ferrer, who was 5th before New York, lost in R3. Raonic and Dimitrov were 6th and 7th and both went out in R4, while Berdych (8), Murray (9) and Nishikori (10) all remain in the tournament. A win later tonight and Berdy will leapfrog both of the "next generation" kids. Likewise for Andy if he can find a way past Djoker tomorrow. That scenario would leave a gap of just 205 points between Ferrer in 5th and Dimitrov, outside the qualifying spots, in 9th.

We'll see how it goes, though. Tsonga (11th) is the biggest loser having gone out in the fourth round and lost ground to Murray, Nishikori and probably Berdych, who were his three closest targets ahead of this, the highest scoring tournament left this year.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
What a stupid post-match on-court interview?

Instead of asking Gael about what happened to him, why he looked so exhausted in
the middle, they ask him what song he was listening to?

These stupid interviewers should be fired.

Yeah, complete crap and the look on his face said the same.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
Seems Dimitrov is still quite far away from the big league. Knew the DF was coming there a mile off.

Yep, a good year away. He has shown some good progress this year but there is still room for a lot of improvement...and that's why I wanted Fed to face him.

A serious La Monf is a threat to Roger whereas Grigor would have needed to play way above himself to have a chance in a night match in NYC vs. Roger. For Roger it has been an easy path to QF (he should demolish the pushing peasant tonight) but could actually be a somewhat tough path in the QF and SF if Berd makes it through.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, tough indeed. A lot tougher than facing both Dimitrov and Thiem I'd imagine.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I feel dirty rooting for Cilic here but it's against Simon. I bet superman prescription boy Cilic handles the heat very well :(

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
I feel dirty rooting for Cilic here but it's against Simon. I bet superman prescription boy Cilic handles the heat very well :(

Cilic has a game to go along with prescriptions. He will win this one (and will be a threat
in his next match too).

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I actually think he will win the QF though Berd definitely has a decent chance.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Looks like the drugs are wearing off. Perhaps, one should take a comfort break after this set.

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
tennisfanaticblog.weebly.com
Going five then by the looks of it.

Cilic has a good chance against Berdy in the next round. Like I said earlier, I'd even give Simon a decent crack at him if he doesn't get overwhelmed by the occasion.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Cilic will have to go get some prescriptions after the 4th.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I am definitely rooting for Cilic, with or without prescriptions. Simon will probably get the
award for the most boring player out there.