US Open 2019, Flushing Meadows, NY USA - Grand Slam (Men)

Status
Not open for further replies.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Roger would have next to no chance in an SF here vs Novak but if he somehow wins that he'd beat Rafa or whoever in the final. Novak is the heavy lifting.
I hope The Dirt Devil gets to complete the Fedal Slam on September 8th.

Reactions: Moxie

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Looking at the Men's draw, ON PAPER: Nadal does have the toughest quarter out of the Big Three however, the only real threat I can see against Nadal is Khachanov on a potential QF matchup. The other players do not really threat Nadal based on current form.

Cilic and Isner are having a bad year. Even if they reached the 4th round, I do not think they will have the form to really trouble Nadal.

Zverev is just a complete mess right now so yeah...

Thiem is a big question mark because it is still a hard court and we do not really know which version of Thiem really shows up in this tournament. In addition, if he does reach the semifinals will he be fresh or tired? It is why I has happy that Federer landed on Djokovic's half.

Even though Millman defeated Federer last year here, I do not think Millman can repeat the same performance against Nadal this year. Besides, Nadal will be ready for the milkman.

Reactions: Fiero425 and Moxie

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Please can anyone answer the most important question in the universe at the moment: Does Nadal play on Monday or Tuesday? thank you very much... :rose:

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I hope The Dirt Devil gets to complete the Fedal Slam on September 8th.

Not going to happen, zero reason to think Roger makes it. When you choke that bad at Wimbledon and generally have played bad at majors for awhile I don't think he will do much here, especially if he plays Djokovic. But if he does reach the final and the greatness of his career is on the line against Nadal I think you will end up disappointed.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Not going to happen, zero reason to think Roger makes it. When you choke that bad at Wimbledon and generally have played bad at majors for awhile I don't think he will do much here, especially if he plays Djokovic. But if he does reach the final and the greatness of his career is on the line against Nadal I think you will end up disappointed.
I disagree

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Looking at the Men's draw, ON PAPER: Nadal does have the toughest quarter out of the Big Three however, the only real threat I can see against Nadal is Khachanov on a potential QF matchup. The other players do not really threat Nadal based on current form.

Cilic and Isner are having a bad year. Even if they reached the 4th round, I do not think they will have the form to really trouble Nadal.

Zverev is just a complete mess right now so yeah...

Thiem is a big question mark because it is still a hard court and we do not really know which version of Thiem really shows up in this tournament. In addition, if he does reach the semifinals will he be fresh or tired? It is why I has happy that Federer landed on Djokovic's half.

Even though Millman defeated Federer last year here, I do not think Millman can repeat the same performance against Nadal this year. Besides, Nadal will be ready for the milkman.
I think Thiem has the toughest quarter my friend.

Reactions: Fiero425

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Please can anyone answer the most important question in the universe at the moment: Does Nadal play on Monday or Tuesday? thank you very much... :rose:

I think that gets determined by what Novak says. Generally, they ask the #1 player whether they want to play on the opening day or second day. Once the #1 player chooses a particular day, all the players in the half containing #1 player will be forced to play on that day. However, I expect Novak to choose to play on the opening day. If so, Ralph will play on Tuesday.

In fact, it is even possible that top half of men's and bottom half of women's could play the same day, if the #1 man and #1 woman make different decisions.

But, we will officially know only when the schedule for the first day comes out (which is probably on Saturday).

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I mentioned this somewhere, but worth repeating in this thread.

Even though Roger has never won USO since 2008, interestingly Roger is the last player to defend USO title. Nobody is able to defend their USO title since then. Assuming the pattern holds, Novak will not defend this time either. Advantage Fedal or may be Medal.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think that gets determined by what Novak says. Generally, they ask the #1 player whether they want to play on the opening day or second day. Once the #1 player chooses a particular day, all the players in the half containing #1 player will be forced to play on that day. However, I expect Novak to choose to play on the opening day. If so, Ralph will play on Tuesday.

In fact, it is even possible that top half of men's and bottom half of women's could play the same day, if the #1 man and #1 woman make different decisions.

But, we will officially know only when the schedule for the first day comes out (which is probably on Saturday).

Wow I had no idea that this is how they decided... :unsure: Thanks :-)2

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Two years in a row, Shapo-FAA first rounder. No fair...

This kind of thing often happens in USO (they should use better random number generators in their draw).

IIRC, for three years in a row Kohly defeated Isner at USO and that too exactly in the same round viz., R32.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
@mrzz - Rosol into the 3rd round of qualies.

View attachment 2549

Actually I am NOT a Rosol fan, far from it. I just made the signature (there was a status message as well, but I took that out) as a joke to tease the Nadal fans -- it would be funny for the cool/rational ones and it would be annoying to the crazy ones, so it was a guaranteed double hit. I admit the status message was obnoxious -- boy, that was good. Fun thing is that I don't even remember exactly what triggered it.

Anyway now I hope Rosol qualifies and ends up being the qualifier that Federer got in R1. One way or the other it will be entertaining.

Reactions: Moxie and Fiero425

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I wish a FeDal final, believe me! every time that came to my mind the Wimbledon semis I keep asking why Nadal throw away that match so badly, not explanation when he was playing the whole tournament better than Federer and Novak even having more difficult draw and then......weird

roberto

Futures Player
Reactions
I wish a FeDal final, believe me! every time that came to my mind the Wimbledon semis I keep asking why Nadal throw away that match so badly, not explanation when he was playing the whole tournament better than Federer and Novak even having more difficult draw and then......weird
Carol--When is the last time Nadal beat Federer off clay?

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

He didn't throw the match away, the only one who threw away a set was Roger with whatever you call that 2nd set. Nadal was pretty well handled as he should be by Roger on grass. Rafa may look like a different player when someone actually takes time away from him...

Reactions: The_Grand_Slam

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
He didn't throw the match away, the only one who threw away a set was Roger with whatever you call that 2nd set. Nadal was pretty well handled as he should be by Roger on grass. Rafa may look like a different player when someone actually takes time away from him...
Nah, first set was very tied, second set 6-1, then third set and Nadal quickly forgot completely how to play, how in the hell it could happened? weird, very weird

Reactions: Andy22

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Actually I am NOT a Rosol fan, far from it. I just made the signature (there was a status message as well, but I took that out) as a joke to tease the Nadal fans -- it would be funny for the cool/rational ones and it would be annoying to the crazy ones, so it was a guaranteed double hit. I admit the status message was obnoxious -- boy, that was good. Fun thing is that I don't even remember exactly what triggered it.

Anyway now I hope Rosol qualifies and ends up being the qualifier that Federer got in R1. One way or the other it will be entertaining.
LOL you were who looked the crazy one and not too original, I would say you were a little bit pathetic. Are you from Brazil?

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Nah, first set was very tied, second set 6-1, then third set and Nadal quickly forgot completely how to play, how in the hell it could happened? weird, very weird

Roger clearly outplayed him the first set, and last two sets were fairly routine. Anyways only 3-1 on grass against Nadal which is still pathetic. And that awful loss in 2008 only looks worse and looms larger these days

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Roger clearly outplayed him the first set, and last two sets were fairly routine. Anyways only 3-1 on grass against Nadal which is still pathetic. And that awful loss in 2008 only looks worse and looms larger these days
Come on, wake up!

Status
Not open for further replies.