US Open 2019, Flushing Meadows, NY USA - Grand Slam (Men)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I am hoping that Wawrinka lingers in the draw long enough to meet Djokovic, but the Swiss is not playing well these days. Nadal has some cushion in that he avoided big servers until maybe the 4th round. I am not sure Cilic can do the job if they meet.

Aside from this Wimbledon Rafa has had major donut draws for awhile. Cilic probably won't even reach 4th round. Hopefully Khachanov gets to QF and runs him ragged.

Reactions: Fiero425

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
Djoke vs Medvedev in the quarters. Djoke can’t be happy about that.

Fed gets a relatively easy draw. If he weren’t such a choker is his old age, I’d feel a bit optimistic he could win the title.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
@mrzz - Rosol into the 3rd round of qualies.

CE40470A-5349-4B13-BE81-4F2B985F9EF6.jpeg

Reactions: don_fabio

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Aside from this Wimbledon Rafa has had major donut draws for awhile. Cilic probably won't even reach 4th round. Hopefully Khachanov gets to QF and runs him ragged.
Silent KK AGAIN.. freaking conspiracy

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
If you just look at the quarters of the four players (and don't look beyond that),

1. I think Roger got a fairly easy draw. Roger should not have trouble (on paper) reaching SF.

2. I think Djoker got the next easiest draw (restricted to just his quarter), among the big three. Dojoker has three easy rounds. In the 4th round he can get Waw / Kandy which could be competitive match. In the QF, he could get Fog / Med (who recently beat Novak) and that too could be competitive.

3. I think Rafa has the toughest draw (restricted to his quarter). He could potentially have a tough match every round (for a change after so many cup cake draws coming his way over the years). In 1R he faces Milkman, who is certainly a tough opponent for the first round. Assuming Kokk is injury free, he is also a tough opponent in 2R (Kokk beat Fed in Miami last year). Although senile and subservient to alpha Spaniard, Verdasco could be a tough opponent on hard courts for Ralph in 3R. In 4R, Ralph could face Isner or Cilic and that could be a tough match also. In QF, Khachanov could give Ralph a run for money (Sasha is the projected QF opponent, but I guess he won't make it there).

But if you focus attention on the last two rounds, obviously

1. Rafa has the easiest draw as he has to face only one other member of 3. Whoever, wins the third quarter
(a lost/next genner) would have already performed beyond their expectations and so would probably
fold to Ralph like a cheap tent.

2. Fed has the second easiest draw. There is some chance that Novak would not make it as Novak's quarter
is tougher than Roger's quarter. Even if both make it, there is reasonable chance that Roger will be fresher
than Novak due to easiness of his quarter.

Whoever wins the top half, most likely will not face Ralph as Ralph's quarter looks tougher than the quarter
of either Novak or Roger. If they face a next / lost genner in the final, obviously they would have the advantage
as the next/lost genner would have already punched beyond their weight.

3. Novak has the toughest draw.

Overall, I am not unhappy with Old Man's draw. Could not ask for much better draw (except for possibly being in Ralph's half).

Last edited:

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
If you just look at the quarters of the four players (and don't look beyond that),

1. I think Roger got a fairly easy draw. Roger should not have trouble (on paper) reaching SF.

2. I think Djoker got the next easiest draw (restricted to just his quarter), among the big three. Dojoker has three easy rounds. In the 4th round he can get Waw / Kandy which could be competitive match. In the QF, he could get Fog / Med (who recently beat Novak) and that too could be competitive.

3. I think Rafa has the toughest draw (restricted to his quarter). He could potentially have a tough match every round (for a change after so many cup cake draws coming his way over the years). In 1R he faces Milkman, who is certainly a tough opponent for the first round. Assuming Kokk is injury free, he is also a tough opponent in 2R (Kokk beat Fed in Miami last year). Although senile and subservient to alpha Spaniard, Verdasco could be a tough opponent on hard courts for Ralph in 3R. In 4R, Ralph could face Isner or Cilic and that could be a tough match also. In QF, Khachanov could give Ralph a run for money (Sasha is the projected QF opponent, but I guess he won't make it there).

But if you focus attention on the last two rounds, obviously

1. Rafa has the easiest draw as he has to face only one other member of 3. Whoever, wins the third quarter
(a lost/next genner) would have already performed beyond their expectations and so would probably
fold to Ralph.

2. Fed has the second easiest draw. There is some chance that Novak would not make it as Novak's quarter
is tougher than Roger's quarter. Even if both make it, there is reasonable chance that Roger will be fresher
than Novak due to easiness of his quarter.

Whoever wins the top half, most likely will not face Ralph as Ralph's quarter looks tougher than the quarter
of either Novak or Roger. If they face a next / lost genner in the final, obviously they would have the advantage
as the next/lost genner would have already punched beyond their weight.

3. Novak has the toughest draw.

Overall, I am not unhappy with Old Man's draw. could not ask for much better draw (except for possibly being in Ralph's half).

Agreed except I do think Novak has potentially toughest QF if Medvedev remains hot. Would much rather Roger was on Nadal's side though. If Nole reaches semis without much trouble there is no reason to think he won't win the tournament even going through both the others.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Amazing that after all these years, Rosol's sole claim to fame is upsetting Rafa at Wimbledon early! Just SMH; "it's been milk'd!" :whistle: :eek: :rolleyes:

It is not a fluke. Rosol proved he is real when he faced Ralph again in Wimbledon, by making the match competitive.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Djoke vs Medvedev in the quarters. Djoke can’t be happy about that.

Fed gets a relatively easy draw. If he weren’t such a choker is his old age, I’d feel a bit optimistic he could win the title.

Overall, I am not unhappy with Old Man's draw. Could not ask for much better draw (except for possibly being in Ralph's half).

So that’s the line, eh? Let call just cut to the chase and say “The Drooling One” has a chance. Next the fans they’ll be concerned about having an oxygen tank oncourt for DRO’s matches.

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don’t think Medvedev would beat Djokovic at the US Open if they were to meet in the quarterfinals. The surface is slower, which means Medvedev won’t be able to use the serve to win cheap points. In addition, it is a best of 5, and I have doubts about Medvedev’s stamina.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I don’t think Medvedev would beat Djokovic at the US Open if they were to meet in the quarterfinals. The surface is slower, which means Medvedev won’t be able to use the serve to win cheap points. In addition, it is a best of 5, and I have doubts about Medvedev’s stamina.

Medvedev has played 16 matches, in three tournaments, since the beginning of the month. I don’t think he’ll even get to the QFs, which would require his winning four best-of-five set matches (a minimum of 12 sets).

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Any rumors about the surface? The powers that be at the US Open may surprise us by speeding up the playing conditions.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Would be amazing to see Federer def. Djokovic in the SF and then losing to Nadal in the F... Kind of the opposite of Wimbledon...

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Would be amazing to see Federer def. Djokovic in the SF and then losing to Nadal in the F... Kind of the opposite of Wimbledon...

Roger would have next to no chance in an SF here vs Novak but if he somehow wins that he'd beat Rafa or whoever in the final. Novak is the heavy lifting.

Status
Not open for further replies.