US Open 2018, Flushing Meadows, NY USA - Grand Slam (Men)

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
Darth, you been drinking? We need Mrs. Darth to check in on you cause this isn't sounding like you.:-)2
Even if he has, what's the problem? He's old enough to & to choose whether to or not. We've all got to let our hair down & have fun sometimes (whether that's with or without booze). I like a few drinks myself sometimes & the only effect booze has on me on the night I've been drinking normally is it makes me more confident & talkative. It's the next day when I feel bad. Booze tastes nice well the drinks I like do anyway. I don't get drunk often. I suffer the next day though. My hangover cure is peppermint tea. It soon settles my stomach & gets rid of the headache.

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
atleast mowgli will have to face pony to reach the final

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I like long rallies. I also like quick points. Variety of play is what makes tennis interesting
I like variety too. What I am not comfortable with is that playing conditions on all faster faces have been slowed down. The AO was sped up a little in 2017. I think Wimbledon and the US should be faster, then we have variety of surfaces. Honestly, its depressing to watch the US Open and Wimbledon playing the way they do currently. With surfaces playing like this, it is not easy to judge player abilities.

Reactions: The_Grand_Slam

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I agree. I just can't sit for hours on end watching T.V. 2 hours is long enough. I've watched 3 hour films sometimes but prefer not to as I get a bit restless after 2 hours & want to be doing something whether it's just read a book, sew, write or paint. Mind you, I've got a very annoying boredom threshold which doesn't really let me just sit down & do nothing.

I don't mind BO5, but umpires need to keep the guys moving; excessive toweling off should be stopped! Let then sweat into your eyes; maybe it will affect the outcome and cause more upset! Anything is better than where we are now; only halfway observing and keeping "the clock" in mind to speed up play! :whistle: :nono: :facepalm: :banghead: :eek:

golds girl

Major Winner
Reactions
Even if he has, what's the problem? He's old enough to & to choose whether to or not. We've all got to let our hair down & have fun sometimes (whether that's with or without booze). I like a few drinks myself sometimes & the only effect booze has on me on the night I've been drinking normally is it makes me more confident & talkative. It's the next day when I feel bad. Booze tastes nice well the drinks I like do anyway. I don't get drunk often. I suffer the next day though. My hangover cure is peppermint tea. It soon settles my stomach & gets rid of the headache.
Cool cool.....yeah just a joke. Think Darth knows my humor.;-):
Cheers:bye:

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
I don't mind BO5, but umpires need to keep the guys moving; excessive toweling off should be stopped! Let then sweat into your eyes; maybe it will affect the outcome and cause more upset! Anything is better than where we are now; only halfway observing and keeping "the clock" in mind to speed up play! :whistle: :nono: :facepalm: :banghead: :eek:
I agree. When I was younger, ball-bouncing before serves was restricted to 3 not as many as the player feels like it, like it is now. I'd say they need to bring the rule back. Sometimes I watch now & I think "I could serve decently & a lot quicker than that. You know what you're doing. Just serve, will you instead of keeping everyone waiting?"

Reactions: Fiero425

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions
Darth, you been drinking? We need Mrs. Darth to check in on you cause this isn't sounding like you.:-)2
Forgive my interjection, GG but in you've not been totally joking above-in, you need to know my opinion that Darth is a very level headed commenter here and his missus is a lucky woman, if she "checks on him" regularly (i.e. rapports with him harmoniously). Darth's very high hatred of Nadal (for what I scolded him once very strongly) may confuse a casual observer. But after few months on this forum, I'm not confused anymore: Darth understands and respects the game, despite (or rather along - a tricky combination) his very strong emotional engagement in Fedal wars. And I have no doubt said emotional engagement helped him to be the best Fed expert here. Well done.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
We should collaborate more often. Where were you last night when the geriatric needed you? Didn't your parents tell you the dangers of a Milkman?
I saw he won the first set and I went to bed as I had to be at work early today. When I turned on SportsCenter this morning I saw he lost. WTF happened? :scratch:

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I’m old enough to remember really bad fast and uneven grass...not a pretty sight.

Still remember with 3 of 4 Majors were on green sod, then when Forest Hills turned to that grey surface American clay.

It’s all cyclical; I do think if they want to speed up the game allow serve lets to count.

OTOH you speed up the courts too much with the current racket and string technology , and serves become even more of a factor in matches. Do we really want that?

Last edited:

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I saw he won the first set and I went to bed as I had to be at work early today. When I turned on SportsCenter this morning I saw he lost. WTF happened? :scratch:

I was in The city and between hauling out of country relatives to Fisherman’s Wharf ( who insisted on eating there) I glanced down on my cell to see Federer had won the first set and the score line indicated he was serving for the second and I thought “ Ho hum another no drama victory for the Swiss one “. So when I got the flash news he had lost the cognitive dissonance was beyond jarring.

Watching the match this morning; What the ......? It wasn’t so much that he lost but how horrifically he looked at times, like lederhosen was chafing his body and he had to get off the court and reset his Rolex.

Last edited:

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

Same way he lost to other weaklings this year. He's lost to 1 great player, 1 good player and 4 nobodies this year and all but the loss to the great player (Djoker) had elements of total mental collapse/choking from overwhelming positions. He needs to reset for 2019 and bring some war, otherwise he could get passed up by peasant boy and his career becomes, in @Front242 words, a bucket of shit.

Reactions: ftan

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions
Eye. Watching an excessively long tennis, esp. Joker & Nadal silly routines is just a total waste of time. This is a universal obviousness and you don't need to be a young generation (I'm not) to be bored to death. I admire fans' patience and forgiveness, as they come up with crafty rationalisation for their idol's behaviour. I'm just practical so rather than wasting my time and patience when Joker & Nadal are playing, I simply record the match (especially if it's at 4:00am my local time) and then replay at my pace. I know I need to skip ahead at least 25secs at Nad serve because he must adjust his non-existent hair and scratch his butt to make sure his time allowance elapses. Same with Joker who must bounce the ball 10-15 times. I have even programmed my DVD player and I have my "silliness skip" button on my remote: works like a charm! Together with also very predictable 2:30-2:45 changeover commercial skip, I am able to compress my viewing time to almost half the original! No surprise if I mention that the famous AO final of 6h between Joker & Nad was the most compressible display of silliness. I ended up spending just 2h 30.

Last edited: