US Open 2018, Flushing Meadows, NY USA - Grand Slam (Men)

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
If Milos can break the Iznah serve why can't JMDP?

Good question, I have a feeling the always ovarated Del Po is going to disappoint me this tournament yet again. He looked strong coming into this match.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
I hope whoever is going to lose will lose quickly so the match on Friday is competitive.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I hope whoever is going to lose will lose quickly so the match on Friday is competitive.

Isner won't be competitive no matter what. This is a slow hard court and the boring Nadal will stand a mile behind the baseline and get a couple breaks from some Isner donations. If Del Po goes down I think it's only Djoker who can save New York from the plague.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Isner won't be competitive no matter what. This is a slow hard court and the boring Nadal will stand a mile behind the baseline and get a couple breaks from some Isner donations. If Del Po goes down I think it's only Djoker who can save New York from the plague.
NY is already saved from the plague, big mouth!:cuckoo:

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Good question, I have a feeling the always ovarated Del Po is going to disappoint me this tournament yet again. He looked strong coming into this match.
You're right. They must be reading this forum because no sooner than I pose the question, he breaks. :D

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
You're right. They must be reading this forum because no sooner than I pose the question, he breaks. :D

We should collaborate more often. Where were you last night when the geriatric needed you? Didn't your parents tell you the dangers of a Milkman?

Reactions: kskate2

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Has Roger spoken after his loss last night?

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
A humorous thought occurred to me just now about Roger and the US Open. The US Open has become to Roger what the Australian Open is for Nadal - a nightmare. Every year something different goes wrong before the finals or if he gets to the finals - he gets outplayed. At the AO Nadal has lost 2 finals when up a break in the 5th, he had a bad back against Stan and this year it was his hip. I think there were a few other injuries or years when he couldn't play, too. I don't follow Nadal so I'm not sure about every year.

Roger's last 10 US Opens after winning 5 in a row -

- 2009 - blew the final against DelPo
- 2010 and 2011 - lost 2 close 5 setters to Nole
- 2012 - lost to Berdych in the QF
- 2013 - lost to Robredo in the 4th round
- 2014 - lost to Cilic in the SF - the only loss to Cilic in his career!
- 2015 - lost a 4 set final to Nole,
- 2016 - missed with a knew injury
- 2017 - sucked in a QF match against DelPo during which he had a bad back
- 2018 - lost to Millman in the 4th round while suffering from...heat exhaustion... in a night match? WTF? Guess he should have gone to Dubai to train instead of training in Switzerland!

Stick a fork in the US Open for Roger. He'll be 38 next year and and even less likely to win it again. I've made my peace with it - and wasn't even that surprised when he lost last night.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie and DarthFed

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
A humorous thought occurred to me just now about Roger and the US Open. The US Open has become to Roger what the Australian Open is for Nadal - a nightmare. Every year something different goes wrong before the finals or if he gets to the finals - he gets outplayed. At the AO Nadal has lost 2 finals when up a break in the 5th, he had a bad back against Stan and this year it was his hip. I think there were a few other injuries or years when he couldn't play, too. I don't follow Nadal so I'm not sure about every year.

Roger's last 10 US Opens after winning 5 in a row -

- 2009 - blew the final against DelPo
- 2010 and 2011 - lost 2 close 5 setters to Nole
- 2012 - lost to Berdych in the QF
- 2013 - lost to Robredo in the 4th round
- 2014 - lost to Cilic in the SF - only one of 2 losses to Cilic in his career!
- 2015 - lost a 4 set final to Nole,
- 2016 - missed with a knew injury
- 2017 - sucked in a QF match against DelPo during which he had a bad back
- 2018 - lost to Millman in the 4th round while suffering from...heat exhaustion... in a night match? WTF? Guess he should have gone to Dubai to train instead of training in Switzerland!

Stick a fork in the US Open for Roger. He'll be 38 next year and and even less likely to win it again. I've made my peace with it - and wasn't even that surprised when he lost last night.

09-12 were the real kickers. He blew the three in a row in ridiculous fashion to DP and Nole. I don't think he'd have had much of a prayer in 2010 vs Nadal but he would've had a chance in 2011. 2009 was a layup that he missed, completely giving away the 2nd set like he did last night. 2012 he loses to Berd and would've had semis and finals vs Murray and Nole in very windy conditions. If he had won even just the DP match the futility the past 9 years wouldn't matter so much. But realistically he should've been sitting on at least 7 if his mind didn't give out in the key moments.

Reactions: The_Grand_Slam

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
09-12 were the real kickers. He blew the three in a row in ridiculous fashion to DP and Nole. I don't think he'd have had much of a prayer in 2010 vs Nadal but he would've had a chance in 2011. 2009 was a layup that he missed, completely giving away the 2nd set like he did last night. 2012 he loses to Berd and would've had semis and finals vs Murray and Nole in very windy conditions. If he had won even just the DP match the futility the past 9 years wouldn't matter so much. But realistically he should've been sitting on at least 7 if his mind didn't give out in the key moments.

I thought he had a good chance against Nadal in 2010 simply because of the surface. It wasn't as slow in 2010 as it is now - even though it was slower than than it was in 2008 and 2009. I find it ironic that the US Open chose to slow down the court after Roger won 5 years in a row - and he's never won it again. There's definitely something to the fact that the court is slower than in his heyday that gets in Roger's head. He commented again this year that it was playing like a clay court and I couldn't help but thing - then you might as well have played the French Open!

Anyway...it's going to be interesting to see what the rest of the year brings for Roger. He's definitely having some kind of a mental block with his backhand and his game in general. I think it took at lot of him mentally to get back to #1 in Feb - cuz his game has just not been there mentally for the last 6 months. Just stupid mistakes and shots that even I can see coming from a mile away.

Reactions: The_Grand_Slam

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I thought he had a good chance against Nadal in 2010 simply because of the surface. It wasn't as slow in 2010 as it is now - even though it was slower than than it was in 2008 and 2009. I find it ironic that the US Open chose to slow down the court after Roger won 5 years in a row - and he's never won it again. There's definitely something to the fact that the court is slower than in his heyday that gets in Roger's head. He commented again this year that it was playing like a clay court and I couldn't help but thing - then you might as well have played the French Open!

Anyway...it's going to be interesting to see what the rest of the year brings for Roger. He's definitely having some kind of a mental block with his backhand and his game in general. I think it took at lot of him mentally to get back to #1 in Feb - cuz his game has just not been there mentally for the last 6 months. Just stupid mistakes and shots that even I can see coming from a mile away.

He wasn't playing well in 2010 and Rafa was really amazing that tournament, even I can admit that. Roger was playing better in 2011 and Rafa was worse, of course with the matchup and Rafa being totally in his head at the time id still have pegged Nadal as the slight favorite but it'd have been pretty close to 50-50 IMO.

I can believe they slowed it down because most of the tour has gotten slower and slower. Unfortunately Roger's strengths are on the wrong side of things at this point, the tournament directors like long rallies and all around wars of attrition for whatever reason.

I'm hoping like hell he sits out the rest of the year. I don't think he's hurt at all but he could easily say his back or knee is hurting and sit out. He looks more mentally burned out than physically. I think that was an underrated part of his resurgence last year, it was probably really good mentally to be off the tour for 6 months after basically playing non-stop for over 15 years.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
He wasn't playing well in 2010 and Rafa was really amazing that tournament, even I can admit that. Roger was playing better in 2011 and Rafa was worse, of course with the matchup and Rafa being totally in his head at the time id still have pegged Nadal as the slight favorite but it'd have been pretty close to 50-50 IMO.

I can believe they slowed it down because most of the tour has gotten slower and slower. Unfortunately Roger's strengths are on the wrong side of things at this point, the tournament directors like long rallies and all around wars of attrition for whatever reason.

I'm hoping like Hell he sits out the rest of the year. I don't think he's hurt at all, but he could easily say his back or knee is hurting and sit out. He looks more mentally burned out than physically. I think that was an underrated part of his resurgence last year. It was probably really good mentally to be off the tour for 6 months after basically playing non-stop for over 15 years.

That wasn't tennis "back in the day" for me & it won't be for others who have better things to do than sit & watch a 5 hr. tennis match! :wacko:

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
That wasn't tennis "back in the day" for me & it won't be for others who have better things to do than sit & watch a 5 hr. tennis match! :wacko:

I actually would venture to guess that the "new" tennis doesn't appeal as much to younger viewers though that'd be difficult to verify. I'm between old and young and I certainly like quicker paced sports, shows, movies, etc. But the younger social media generation takes that to a whole new level. They want everything quick, I can't picture them enjoying endless rallies on these slow as hell courts.

There are lots of forces that make me want to stop watching the sport altogether but I'm too invested in Federer and what hopefully remains an amazing career (as long as the scum is kept at bay).

Last edited:

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
I agree. I just can't sit for hours on end watching T.V. 2 hours is long enough. I've watched 3 hour films sometimes but prefer not to as I get a bit restless after 2 hours & want to be doing something whether it's just read a book, sew, write or paint. Mind you, I've got a very annoying boredom threshold which doesn't really let me just sit down & do nothing.

Reactions: Fiero425

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
I actually would venture to guess that the "new" tennis doesn't appeal as much to younger viewers though that'd be difficult to verify. I'm between old and young and I certainly like quicker paced sports, shows, movies, etc. But the younger social media generation takes that to a whole new level. They want everything quick, I can't picture them enjoying endless rallies on these slow as hell courts.
I'm the same. I can't really say anything about the younger generation as I'm not old but I'm not exactly young either. I'm like you in that I like fast T.V. shows & films, etc.

Michael;Kiwi

Futures Player
Reactions

There are lots of forces that make me want to stop watching the sport altogether but I'm too invested in Federer and what hopefully remains an amazing career (as long as the scum is kept at bay).
I like long rallies. I also like quick points. Variety of play is what makes tennis interesting

golds girl

Major Winner
Reactions

I'm hoping like hell he sits out the rest of the year. I don't think he's hurt at all but he could easily say his back or knee is hurting and sit out. He looks more mentally burned out than physically. I think that was an underrated part of his resurgence last year, it was probably really good mentally to be off the tour for 6 months after basically playing non-stop for over 15 years.

Darth, you been drinking? We need Mrs. Darth to check in on you cause this isn't sounding like you.:-)2

Reactions: Moxie and DarthFed